fbpx

Ball-doll-pet-sculpture-things

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Ball-doll-pet-sculpture-things

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

How do you do them in pastel? I have trouble getting pastel to stick to smooth surfaces somtimes. What kind of pastels are you using?

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
    www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
    Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

SPark
    Participant

I’m using Schmincke pastels, which are kind of expensive but SUPER saturated and nice, I only need one or two coats to get great color. And I use a base coat of Testor’s dullcote which gives a great surface to pastel over. (And also keeps the pastels from staining the resin, meaning I could remove it and do a different paint job someday if I felt like it.) I also spray on a layer of dullcote in between layers of pastel, and one over the top once I’m finished. So there’s four or five layers of the stuff at least on each of these.

I’m using Schmincke pastels, which are kind of expensive but SUPER saturated and nice, I only need one or two coats to get great color. And I use a base coat of Testor’s dullcote which gives a great surface to pastel over. (And also keeps the pastels from staining the resin, meaning I could remove it and do a different paint job someday if I felt like it.) I also spray on a layer of dullcote in between layers of pastel, and one over the top once I’m finished. So there’s four or five layers of the stuff at least on each of these.

hmm..i like to experiment alot..chalk or oils?

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

SPark
      Participant

Chalk. With resin at least I’d worry too much about the oil soaking into it. Also the powdery nature of the chalk pastels makes it easy to scrape up a little powder and brush it on with a paintbrush, which is how I do it.

hmm..i like to experiment alot..chalk or oils?

whats dullcote? is it some sort of spray?

SPark
        Participant

It’s a kind of matte sealant/paint. (it’s the only truly matte topcoat I know of, it’s not even a little bit glossy at all, unlike “matte” modpodge or most other sealants, which are more like semi-gloss.) It comes in a bottle of brush on paint, or as a spray can. I use the spray, because you can’t brush terribly well over pastels, you’d just brush the color around as you went.

SPark
          Participant

I got my unicorns in from the caster yesterday. Here’s one that’s been assembled but not yet painted. I’ll have some painted ones next week. 🙂

twindragonsmum
            Participant

Absolutley squee-dorable! That’s quite a nifty talent you’ve got there… What are the prices on the lunakits? Thankies,

twindragonsmum :love:

tdm

SPark
              Participant

Thank you!

The plushie kind of Loonakit runs from $25 to $50 depending on exactly what you want.

These resin guys are $30 for just the cast parts, $40 for one that’s assembled and has eyes and magnets and elastic and everything, and $50 for one that’s completely finished and painted and all.

SPark
                Participant

I did a photo shoot in preparation for my upcoming kickstarter campaign, and got some really nice pics, I think.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.