fbpx

Ball-doll-pet-sculpture-things

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Ball-doll-pet-sculpture-things

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    SPark
    Participant

So hi there! Since this is artsy stuff I thought you guys might like to see it. I’ve recently gotten back into sculpting, and one of the things that inspired me to was Asian ball-joint dolls. They are really neat, though also really expensive. Anyway, I wanted to try making one, but making a whole set of dozens of joints was just too much for me, so I decided to take inspiration from some of my other art projects (anybody here remember my Loonakit ball plushes? I have swapped a few for Windstones back in the day!) and make a super-simple ball-doll with just one joint in the tail.

I can post the whole process here if anybody wants, but I don’t want to pic spam. Anyhow, this is what I ended up with:

It has a posable tail that’s not shown there, and like a regular ball joint doll you can take the head apart and change the eyes. Then I tried casting it in resin, and ended up with this:

And here it is with a paint (actually pastel) job:

I was super pleased with that, but though they’re not obvious it still had a ton of bubbles in it and things, and all my attempts at casts came out at least that bad, if not worse, so I decided to do a kickstarter campaign to raise enough money to have a batch of them professionally cast.

Which resulted in this:

I’ve since made a unicorn, which is out at the casters, and am working on a dragon (see my avatar for a sneak peak at that), whose test casts I just finished, but I’ll stop here for now rather than flood you guys with a bajillion pics. ๐Ÿ™‚

rock-reader
      Participant

I would love to see more pictures! You are very talented and I envy you your expertise and skill. ๐Ÿ™‚

SPark
        Participant

Aww, thanks very much! I’m headed off to bed now, but I’ll put up some more pics tomorrow.

Melody
          Keymaster

I love your Lunakits. Still have mine, staring at me,in the living room.

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

AWE!!!! These are SO CUTE!!!! I totally want one!! ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

SPark
              Participant

Well, I’ve still got a few of the fennecs left over from my first kickstarter for sale, if you want to drop me a line!

And since I promised, I should put up a few more pics. Let’s see if I can get the embedded images thing to work…

Aha! So this is the second doll I set out to make, after doing the fennecs. Here’s a test cast of it:

And here’s how the test cast looked painted:

I’m expecting the finished ones back from the caster in about two weeks, so I’ll have some updates then.

SPark
                Participant

I love your Lunakits. Still have mine, staring at me,in the living room.

Yay! This makes me all fangirl-happy. (And you should see the batch I just did, I got in pastel rainbow fur fabric recently that is SO awesome. I keep forgetting to take pics of them though.)

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

Oh yea? You don’t still happen to have the super light blue one with the light colored tail do you? It’s near the middle of the group photo of them all lined up and on the bottom row of the shot with all their little faces <3

Got a busted Windstone?
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin

SPark
                    Participant

Oh yea? You don’t still happen to have the super light blue one with the light colored tail do you? It’s near the middle of the group photo of them all lined up and on the bottom row of the shot with all their little faces <3

All the painted ones were people’s orders, what I have is blank ones. I could paint another one like that though.

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

Ooooh I see! Hmmm, I’ll have to message you and see if we can work something out ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin

SPark
                        Participant

Now HERE are a few pics of the one that I think people here might like. ๐Ÿ˜€

I have been using up some colored apoxie sculpt that was starting to go odd on these, so the originals are kind of a mish-mash. Here’s a few pics of the original while I was sculpting it.

And here’s a couple of early test casts that didn’t work out well at all.

And here’s some test casts that did come out all right, showing off the two resin colors I want to eventually offer, and the different eyes as well. The white one has flat-backed acrylic blanks and the black one has realistic glass ones.

Kim
                          Blocked

Those are cute! I like the foxes!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Falcolf
                            Participant

These are really cool! ๐Ÿ˜€

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Puffpastryofdoom
                              Participant

Awwww!!! These are all so adorable! I love them! :love:

SPark
                                Participant

Thank you guys!

I just finished painting the test casts. ๐Ÿ˜€ They came out AWESOME! I’m really excited to get to the kickstarter campaign to get these cast, though I still have lots to do before I can launch it.

Here’s some pics of the painted test casts, including one with the fennec that was my first pet ball, which shows that these are a little bit larger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.