fbpx

Another one for John

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Another one for John

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

that fella is just a fake casting. someone had an original young, made a mold of it and cast it in hydrostone or plaster. thats also how the piece has round yet solid eyes of the same material.. making a mold of the piece with the glass eyes in gives them the perfect eye shape to paint over. i saw a bunch of these 9 years ago at a “plaster funtime” store in massachusetts. it was a store where you could but unpainted plaster castings and paint em yourself at the store using their paints, or take it home plain. kids b-day parites were normally held there. they had windstone rip offs there, i remember a male, mother, young and an emperor on their shelves for sale, cast in plaster for 15-35 bucks! i wasn’t totally familiar with melodys dragons then, but i knew they were made by a professional and illegally copied and asked about it… i was told to leave, lol.
      remember, this seller may not know he has a fake! he wasn’t necessarily the person that made it and may not know windstones any better than the average person on the street…so he isn’t necessarily a guilty so-n-so..hence he put the question mark in his title…john will see to finding out the real scoop….

Stephanie
      Participant

emerald212 wrote:

No, it’s not even a repaint. It’s a fake casting of a Young Dragon.

WOW. 😯 Why would anyone want to do that? That I do not understand! WOW.

Mmloda
        Participant

I saw that on Ebay earlier today….I think someone has repainted the drgaon and replaced the eyes, I wonder idf the seller knows that it is not an original. πŸ˜•

Marzena

He bought it at a garage sale a year ago.

Jennifer
          Keymaster

This auction brings up two very good points!

I know a forum member that repainted a hippogriff candlelamp and did paint over the eyes. Granted, she did a lovely job of it- but it is not inconceivable to think that someone might paint over the eyes.

As tfsculptures said, years back, there were lots of fake castings made out of plaster. This makes them nearly identical in weight to real Windstones.. πŸ™

tfsculptures wrote:

that fella is just a fake casting. someone had an original young, made a mold of it and cast it in hydrostone or plaster. thats also how the piece has round yet solid eyes of the same material.. making a mold of the piece with the glass eyes in gives them the perfect eye shape to paint over. i saw a bunch of these 9 years ago at a “plaster funtime” store in massachusetts. it was a store where you could but unpainted plaster castings and paint em yourself at the store using their paints, or take it home plain. kids b-day parites were normally held there. they had windstone rip offs there, i remember a male, mother, young and an emperor on their shelves for sale, cast in plaster for 15-35 bucks! i wasn’t totally familiar with melodys dragons then, but i knew they were made by a professional and illegally copied and asked about it… i was told to leave, lol.
            remember, this seller may not know he has a fake! he wasn’t necessarily the person that made it and may not know windstones any better than the average person on the street…so he isn’t necessarily a guilty so-n-so..hence he put the question mark in his title…john will see to finding out the real scoop….

The likelihood that this is a fake casting that someone unwittingly bought blank, painted, then sold to this person is very high.

But, it’s terribly hard to tell it from a repaint.

This is why Windstone really really discourages repaints guys! πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Stephanie
            Participant

A little story…

I have had my little baby pegasus without the necklace for YEARS… I love to paint things… but I could not ever bring myself to repaint it. I have even drawn it once… don’t know where that picture is at the moment but it was great practice for drawing a horse laying down! But I can’t repaint it! πŸ™‚

Jodi
              Participant

Serenity wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

So they can make money off someone else’s art. πŸ‘Ώ

Stephanie
                Participant

emerald212 wrote:

Serenity wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

But still, I don’t understand that!!! I could NOT do that to someone! (I have had it happen to me, nothing major, it was grade school and I drew a horse for this one girl and after she got it, she erased my name and put hers on it… Made me feel like poo! Now I sign EVERYTHING in INK! LOL)

lamortefille
                  Participant

Serenity wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Serenity wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

But still, I don’t understand that!!! I could NOT do that to someone! (I have had it happen to me, nothing major, it was grade school and I drew a horse for this one girl and after she got it, she erased my name and put hers on it… Made me feel like poo! Now I sign EVERYTHING in INK! LOL)

Wow – she was starting on her life of crime early! 😯 πŸ˜‰

Maria
                    Participant

No kidding. 😯 Of course, it was a probably a blessing in disguise for Serenity. She won’t have lost any art that way again since.

Heather
                      Participant

Jeepers that’s an ugly dragon. While I’m sorry to see it pop up at all, I guess it does stand as an example of how much a good paint job adds to a sculpture. Windstone takes such care with their painting, and the result is creatures that just about move when you’re not looking squarely at them. This poor fellow, on the other hand, just looks sad.

At least the seller makes it plain in his listing that he isn’t sure what he’s got. I think he’s trying to be honest . . . unfortunately, putting this thing up for sale is like handing a gas station attendant a counterfeit $20 that you got in change from somewhere else. It’s a fake, and having a fake makes you look like a crook even if you’re not.

Stephanie
                        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

No kidding. 😯 Of course, it was a probably a blessing in disguise for Serenity. She won’t have lost any art that way again since.

That is so very true!!!

wolflodge100
                          Participant
                            Jennifer
                            Keymaster

Almost certainly a repaint. Either way- it’s not kosher. It’s one thing to do a repaint, but this one is repainted to look like another Windstone production color. Not good. πŸ™

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                              My art: featherdust.com

Pegasi1978
                              Participant

Certainly looks like a green young dragon (I think that’s who had that eye/jewel combo) repainted gold to me. I’d email John.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.