fbpx

Almost Killed by Train today!!!!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Almost Killed by Train today!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

This has been the most F#*@ed up day ever!! I went to Grande Prairie with my friend Debbie and her daughter Courtney for the day to do a little shopping. It is about 2 hrs away. About half way there it got extremely foggy out. Really poor visibility about 15 feet in front of us only visible. We put the flashers on on the truck and were driving about 90km/h. Everything was going just fine, chatting, laughing, hanging out enjoying the trip.

(All that follows happens in a matter of a few seconds)

SUDDENLY outta no where there is the TERRIFYING ROARING SCREAM of a TRAIN HORN blairing and I look out my window and there is a train bearing down on us. We came out of the fog about 10 feet from the railroad tracks and the train was right there. We’re going 90km/hr Debbie jamms the brakes…..we are gonna end up stopping on the tracks and get slammed by the train, I am staring out my window watching the train bear down on us even closer and I am freaking and screaming and Courtney is in the back seat screaming and the train is about 10 feet from my door….Debbie realizes we are gonna get hit and hammers the gas….our ass end just makes it over the tracks as the train goes behind us!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look behind us and the train is on the road and I look at the oncoming traffic and see vehicle heading for the train and they can’t see it due to the fog!!! We can’t go back and help with Debbies daughter in the truck….if it’s bad she does not need to see what has happened. We are all scared for them and there is nothing we can do to stop them or help them!!! I feel so helpless at this moment. We drive into Grande Prairie and get outta the vehicle and we hear the ambulances and police screaming down the highway toward the scene. We KNEW then that what we were scared of happened!! We were hoping and praying that they would get stopped in time….that no one would get hurt or die!! We all spent the day so shook up and feeling grateful and guilty that we couldn’t stop them from getting hit by the train.

We only heard on the news that there was a 7 car pile up at the train tracks on the am news and no further word of injuries, death or otherwise. WE FELT SO MUCH GUILT!!!! We kept listening for more news but heard nothing.

I got home tonight and am really feeling terribly traumatized and the image of the train coming at me is stuck in my head. I am so very GRATEFUL to be alive. And that my friends are alive.

I just checked the news on the Net tonight and here is a link to what happened!!!

Thankfully the train did not hit anyone but……

http://www.albertapolicereport.com/2012/02/20/multiple-vehicle-collision-near-clairmont-details-released/#more-2667

I just really needed to share this with you cuz it is a really friggin scary thing and I am shook up and I need to talk about it cuz……I WAS ALMOST KILLED BY A TRAIN TODAY!!! I really can’t stop thinking about it….seeing it……feeling the terror I felt over and over and the image of the train is burned into my eyes.

I never thought that this would ever happen to me….farthest thing from my mind today and I am so happy to be able to hug my family and tell them that I love them tonight. I was seconds away from never being able to do that again and that is the scariest feeling I have ever had in my life. I don’t know about religion or God but I say this…………..Someone was watching over us today cuz that train was so close to my window I could see the conductors face.

Anyways

Thanks for listening. I needed to put it to words how I feel. I really can’t stop crying or thinking about this……sorry.

Riversgrace
    Participant

Oh dear! I am thankful that you are safe! Thankful that no one was killed in that accident either! All of us need to vent at some point! Thats what friends are for! Things like this are why I never leave my driveway with out doing the “I love you’ in sign language to my husband and blowing him a kiss, because we never do know what could happen, and if it ever does that will be stuck in his memory. Hug your family, have a shot of whiskey to calm the nerves, and read a good book. Rx by Riversgrace 🙂 Again glad you are safe and sound. Hugs!

Rachel
      Participant

Holy crap! Glad it was a miss!

That sounds terrifying! I am very glad you and your friends are ok.

Adaneth
        Participant

How terrifying! So glad you and your friends are all right. Can’t take anything for granted, that’s for sure. It must have been terrifying for that conductor, too!

Don’t feel bad about venting. Bottling it up would be worse. *hugs*

Bodine
          Participant

Oh my friend,I am so sorry you had to go through that.Let’s just thank the powers that be that your friend had the sense to act and get y’all the heck out of there instead of freezing up.No guilt girl.You guys were not supposed to be hurt and y’all didn’t cause the other cars to get in that mess.That was the fog and the truck.A second later….You are blessed Brandy.Hug your loved ones and thank your friend.You are a very dear,special lady.And I believe in Karma. 😉 Thanks be that you are safe.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

siberakh1
            Participant

Holy Crap! If you weren’t awake before, you sure are now! @_@!!! Glad to hear you are all ok and it looks like everyone else in the car pileup only suffered non-life threatening injuries. Fog can really be tricky and cause all sorts of mischief. What a terrifying start to the day!

Ann

That is so scary! I am so happy you are okay and were able to make it across the tracks, your friend was amazing by thinking fast enough to change gears and hit the gas. It’s not something a lot of people would do.

Get yourself to a counselor. A lot of areas offer grief counseling for free (do you guys have Hospice?). Make sure you take care of yourself!

Carolyn
                Participant

Now that was a bad Monday ! Oh wow . Scary as %$#* . Terrifying just reading it .

KaytanaPhoenix
                  Participant

Ohhh honey! *HUGE hugs!* I am so happy you guys are all ok! I wouldn’t feel any guilt if I were you! I know it may be hard, but it’s all good news! the car pileup may not seem like a thing to be thankful for, but no one were on the tracks, and no one was lost to it! A close call like that will really make you rethink your priorities! I’m so happy you got home safe to hug your family and tell them all how much you love them 🙂 and I’m sending lots of long distance hugs your way!

I remember feeling a similar feeling once! My brothers (ex) gf n I were coming back to my house (out in the country) when she decided to be stupid and speed the whole way there (Young and dumb) She was doing 110mph when she went around a pickup on a two lane road (One way each way) with an 18 wheeler coming toward us! I could see his face before we barely got back into our lane… that was scary enough!

‘n sweety! vent and rant all you want! that is really scary and I don’t think anyone could blame you for wanting to talk about it!

Misty
                    Participant

All I can say is…HOLY CRAP!

Glad you guys are OK.

twindragonsmum
                      Participant

I’m just so glad that you and your friends were quick enough to get out of the way! That’s just too scary to even think about… Major hugs!!!!

twindragonsmum

tdm

Elena
                        Participant

OMG!!! :O
                          I’m glad everyone is okay!

Those uncontrolled country crossings can be so treacherous especially when there is fog.

So glad to hear you are okay along with everyone else involved. It could have been so much worse. Don’t feel guilty because you guys were able to get out of the way but couldn’t warn anyone else. That was all you guys could do, & I am glad you guys managed that, cause it sounds like it was a really close call.

I had my life flash before my eyes recently too, wrecked my truck on black ice on Jan 30th, luckily both I & the truck are recovered, mostly. The truck still needs some cosmetic things, & a slight tweaking of the frame to straighten it, but it is functional again.

All that matters is that everyone got to go home that day…bottom line…so overall a very good day.

*hugs*

Kyrin

LadyFirebird
                          Participant

Glad you are okay–that is terrifying!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.