fbpx

Airbrush vs handpaint

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Airbrush vs handpaint

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    LZ
    Participant

I wanted to try doing a PYO, but have no experience using an airbrush. It is possible for a PYO to look good using just painting by hand? Is that not recommended? Will the brush strokes stand out too much against the sculpted details?

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

etruscan
      Participant

Almost all the PYOs you see in these threads are hand painted.

Kyla
        Participant

If you go to my gallery, Kyla- all my PYO are done with acrylic paint.  I do not know how to use an airbrush.  I am addicted to the PYO’s.  Do one every winter.  Enjoy!!!!

With Luv,
          Ky-

Mika
          Participant

I have a personal airbrush at work and I use it to paint over a large area (almost always underbelly scales) so it’s nice and smooth. The rest is painted by hand.

The store has PYO muses if you want something to practice on since they have a bunch of different textures.

Prezaurian
            Participant

Don’t let the fact that the production pieces are mainly airbrushed stop you from considering other ways of painting the PYOs.  There have been many beautiful PYOs created by forum members using a lot of different methods of painting.  There has been a forum member who used a dip method, some have used pastel powders, some pearl ex powders, some ink and many have used acrylic paint in washes or completely undiluted.  I believe Melody (if I remember correctly) once did a piece (production piece I think) in gold leaf and a PYO in edible stains (tea, turmeric, etc).  All of these pieces have been beautiful and amazing to look at.

Don’t hesitate to play around.  And if you really want to try airbrushing, that’s great too!  Look around the forum and pick the style of painting that attracts you the most and that you think you’ll have the most fun with.  Its all a learning process to have fun with.  🙂

Kujacker
              Participant

The photos in my gallery were all painted exclusively with pastels (the exception being the mask on the kitsune).

I’ve used an airbrush in the past on pyos. I find them messy, and too time consuming to properly clean. While it made the paint smooth with a nice transition, I didn’t feel it was worth it in the long run. I ended up throwing away two airbrushes.

Bodine
                Participant

My gallery shows acrylic,air brush and pearl-ex powders w/acrylics.Any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                  Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Landipan
                  Participant

Like most other PYO painters here, my pyo gallery is filled with pieces that were hand painted with acrylics. I definitely would love to try out airbrushing someday, as it seems like it would be SO much easier to do smooth color transitions, but as of right now I’m fine sticking to hand painting, since it’s definitely the cheaper method xD. Hand painting smooth transitions can be time consuming and frustrating at times(and not always seamless), but it’s good enough for me at this point.

I think the only sculpt I’ve had trouble with brush strokes showing up is the PYO Sushi cat, as it doesn’t have any fur, feathers, or scale texture to hide brush strokes, they’re just super smooth. You just have to try and keep your paint layers thin so that as they build up there won’t be TOO many visible brush strokes.

*Formerly meowmix101
                    Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Ela_Hara
                    Participant

I don’t have an airbrush either and mainly hand paint. I sometime also use canned spray paints – which I’ve used to paint multiple colored/transitional base colors on some PYOs. I need to add my pieces back into my Gallery, buy you can also view some of mine from my deviantArt account.

Try it! It’s really fun and you’ll get LOTS of encouragement from all of us!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                      Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                      Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                      *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

bayoudragon
                      Participant

I have an airbrush, but I rarely use it.  I only use it to prime larger pieces like the griffin and keeper.  Everything else is completely hand-painted.  And I agree with Landipan… on the smoother sculpts just go thinner with your paint.  I have pieces in my gallery as well if you want to take a look.

Melody
                        Keymaster

Hand painted things look FANTASTIC! You need to choose a type of paint that is fluid, so the brush strokes don’t show. The kind of acrylic paint that comes in a tube is usually designed to mimic oil paints, and it really shows the brush strokes. The liquid  liquid stuff  works better for hand painting,  I think.

LZ
                          Participant

I’ve only ever done oil painting, but very few of my paintings show dimensional brushstrokes due to thicker paint because I personally don’t like seeing them (which irritated my painting teacher in college, who preferred seeing thick paint). I saw on another thread on here, though, to not use oil on the Windstone PYOs. I just ordered a kirin, so we will see how that goes.

Looking for...

Kujacker
                            Participant

Yeah, don’t use oils on a pyo. The gypsum needs to breathe. Basically everything else is a go, though.

LZ
                              Participant

What about using enamel? I have a box full of Testors and others from when I was doing costume accessories.

Looking for...

Zexious
                                Participant

What a cool thread; sounds like you should purchase a few and get experimenting! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.