2012 New Years Resolutions

Home Forums Miscellany Community 2012 New Years Resolutions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bayoudragon
    Participant

I figured I’d get one started for the New Year. Whatever your resolutions may be, I hope 2012 will be a great year for everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

The only thing I am focusing on is getting myself moved ASAP. That’s it! When that’s done, then I’ll work on some things from last year (art and cooking). ๐Ÿ˜‰

Click here for the link to last year’s 2011 thread.

Elena
      Participant

I’ve VERY glad to see the end of 2011 since it was a very rough year for me. :tired:

My Resolutions ๐Ÿ˜€

– Amongst the craziness that is school and work, I’m going to try to do at least a half hour of artistic creative stuff a day

– I’ve also been going through all of my projects that are in various states of completion and am making a list of what needs to be done with each. My resolution is that I am going to FINISH these before I get started on anymore projects.

– And of course the big resolution for the year is to do well in my classes, Graduate H) and find a good job so I can get on with my life :bigsmile:

dragonmedley
        Participant

Finish White Dragon so it can be out as planned. The only guideline I have is 2012, but I have to set some firm deadlines, otherwise, it’ll be out in 2013…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Bodine
          Participant

oooo,new book!can’t wait!
            No resolutions for me.Feels like I let myself down if I don’t fulfill it.

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Kujacker
            Participant

I’ve never made a new years resolution. However, this year I want to.

I want to buy only Leaping Bunny products. It’s not as hard as it might seem! And thanks to Dr.Bronner’s, I already have a cruelty free all-purpose house cleaner. Not to mention their great castile soaps.
              But every product I buy, I want to only buy Leaping Bunny. I say Leaping Bunny because I heard that even if a product says “no animal testing”, it just means the FINISHED product. The ingredients could have been tested on animals, or the company could have contracted another company to test for them.

Although I’d like to stay away from Burt’s Bees (or other companies in the same “boat”). Yes, they are Leaping Bunny certified, but they are owned by Clorox (I believe)… which does do animal testing. So in my mind I think “I’m still supporting Clorox if I buy Burt’s Bees”.

Also something I started doing a long while ago: do my best to eliminate any chemicals I can. Also not as hard as it sounds… just time consuming for researching ingredients. Chemicals are in everything from health care to actual FOOD. It’s terrible. And people wonder why we are more sickly now than we were 100 years ago.

Adaneth
              Participant

Good on you, Kujacker! ๐Ÿ˜€

I started trying to do that a few years back. Though as it takes me years to get through a bottle of concentrated dish soap, I haven’t switched that over yet!
                I love that Leaping Bunny exists and they’re working to bring awareness on this issue.

Good luck with keeping that resolution! I highly recommend ‘Nature Clean’ products–got some great glass cleaner and toilet bowl cleaner from them way back. Unfortunately for me, they’re in Canada, and shipping costs have gotten atrocious.

dragonmedley
                Participant

And people wonder why we are more sickly now than we were 100 years ago.

I will refute that: I think for the most part, we’re sickly because our lifestyle sucks – not enough exercise and wrong food. Babies are also very much subjected to a sterile environment and aren’t exposed to enough “bugs” to build their immune system, and are therefore more prone to sickness.

Of course, that doesn’t mean chemicals and pollution aren’t to blame. However, they may not be the prime problem.

Getting off my soapbox, thanks everyone.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

LadyFirebird
                  Participant

I hope to graduate, get internships so I can get my certificates and land a job in the field I am studying for. If I can get that accomplished this year, I’ll be happy.

etruscan
                    Participant

Compared to everybody else’s resolutions this is going to sound very frivolous, but I am resolving to buy fewer Windstones (ESPECIALLY test paints) and do more traveling. My son and his family currently are living in Australia and I really plan to visit them this year! As a side effect … this will do wonders for my credit card balance. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kujacker
                      Participant

And people wonder why we are more sickly now than we were 100 years ago.

I will refute that: I think for the most part, we’re sickly because our lifestyle sucks – not enough exercise and wrong food. Babies are also very much subjected to a sterile environment and aren’t exposed to enough “bugs” to build their immune system, and are therefore more prone to sickness.

Of course, that doesn’t mean chemicals and pollution aren’t to blame. However, they may not be the prime problem.

Getting off my soapbox, thanks everyone.

You’re allowed to have your opinion! Also, I’m not sure how another places do these kinds of things. US, Canada, etc. It could be different. I once heard that Japan doesn’t allow certain chemicals to be in food, so companies such as Coke have to alter their soda to have it sold there. Just what I heard, I have no clue if it’s true. I also have a friend that lives in England, and she was saying that you can’t buy “fake” Fanta there. It’s a natural Fanta, apparently. It’s something to take into consideration when talking about health and chemicals in food. But since I live in the US, I’m speaking in relative to the US.

But when I say this, I mean, 100 years ago we didn’t have anti-freeze in practically every food item on the market (animal food included). If you look at all food ingredients on the shelves, it’s shocking the kinds of chemicals that are being fed to people. Most big food companies are about money, not health. And even in “health food” stores, it’s important to check the ingredients. But the reality is, most people just don’t have the time to do that. Or as my friend says, he doesn’t WANT to know what he’s eating, he’d rather stay oblivious because he knows the terrible things that are in food.

Oh and on the baby subject… my mother would vacuum the house 4 times a day when my brother and I were babies. Not to mention cleaned everything in the house probably as much each day. She also kept this up until she died (not the vacuum 4 times a day, but the house was always spotless). It’s true I was perpetuity sick in high school, but I don’t have any major illness’ or even simple allergies. And once I was out of high school, I got sick maybe once a year. Sometimes once every two years.
                        And my brother is like super man lol.

Adaneth, I actually looked into that company! But since they were in Canada, I kind of wrote them off the list.

Skigod377
                        Participant

Wow…. I managed to maintain my weight and keep running, earn 12 credit hours, and keep in touch with family. Guess I will try harder on the financial stuff this year. Should be easier since I will be in afghanistan!

Maintain my weight and keep running.
                          Pay off bills.
                          No new credit lines.
                          Earn at least 9 more credit hours.
                          Put away incoming rent money for drastic rental home improvements.
                          Keep in touch with family.
                          Dont die.
                          Continue to eat well.

Folks want cheap food and don’t want to exercise… thats why everyone is sickly. Cheap food is usually crap food.

Christine
                          Participant

Hear hear on the food topic. Oh I could go on and on about this so I will try to be succinct!

Have any of you watched Food, Inc? Please do if you haven’t. It’s a good look at how food ‘works’ for us USA forum members. Very good documentary. It had a limited theater release a couple years back and when I saw it then, I started changing my food choices for the better. Just watched it again last week and found it newly relevant.

If Food, Inc. piques your interest, I would also recommend The Future of Food which can be watched free on Youtube. Food, Inc. is on Netflix. Future of Food does not have the slick production value of Food, Inc. but is very good regardless.

On the book front, PLEASE read Fast Food Nation! I read this book 10 years ago and it changed my life for the better. If you have trouble with your weight and like fast food joints, this book can be an awesome diet aid! ๐Ÿ˜€ I used to like fast food as much as anyone else, but within a year of reading the book, without realizing it, I’d pretty much cut it out of my diet. When you know how those companies work, you just don’t want to give them your money anymore.

I still occasionally will succumb to the temptation of some Wendy’s chicken nuggets, or a McDonald’s breakfast sandwich, and I always regret it! I just feel so crummy afterward. My body no longer has a tolerance for all of those high-fat, high-salt, cheap corn-based ingredients. I’m pretty ok with that!

Have any of you read The Omnivore’s Dilemma? I have not gotten to that one yet. Or any other doc/book recommendations?

—————————————–

My resolutions for this year:

– Find a healthier pet food for my cat, Harley. There are UNBELIEVABLY UNHEALTHY AND ETHICALLY REPREHENSIBLE ingredients in most pet foods. I am hesitant to even go into detail on it here. I’m sure quite a few of you know exactly what I’m talking about already. Just recently educated myself on what those vague ingredients actually mean, and was utterly disgusted.

– GO THE **** TO SLEEP! I have real trouble with insomnia and staying on the computer late into the night, reading reading reading. ‘Bout things like pet food ingredients and conspiracy theories. I simply must limit this for the sake of my health. XD To accomplish this, I am going to commit to turning my computer off at midnight on weeknights. If you guys see a post from me on here after midnight PST, feel totally free to yell at me. A lot.

– Pick up my exercise routine again. This will be the hardest one for me to keep. So I’ll use my Windstone calendar! Put a smiley face and short description every time I make an conscious effort to do _something_ physical. I have managed to do this before a few years ago, and being more active, even a little, had amazing benefits. Five ‘bad’ years of stress, awful relationships, and depression really took its toll on physical activity and I want to feel good again.

If any of you have tips on these I would love to hear! ๐Ÿ™‚

Carolyn
                            Participant

Can’t say really what to do this coming new year . It’s a scary one for me because my mom has ALS and well I’m not sure what will happen . So this coming year is just scary .
                              Well I have one thing that I have been faithful to sense 1990 . And I’ll keep it going this year too . Yeah I’ll leave it a mystery too . My secret .

twindragonsmum
                              Participant

Not a resolution as such, but a keep moving forward, literally and figuratively speaking, on getting some kind of handle on my stupid chronic foot pain… Haven’t found the end all be all yet, but I keep hoping ๐Ÿ™‚

twindragonsmum :p

tdm

Kiya
                                Participant

Hmmm…. resolutions…

– Continue losing weight
                                  – Finish my master’s degree
                                  – Not spend too much money on Windstones! lol
                                  – Pay off at least two credit cards
                                  – Not open new credit lines (please don’t ever offer financing for Windstones…)
                                  – Start attending church regularly (I was HORRIBLE about this in 2011)
                                  – Remember to be thankful every day for the blessings I have in my life

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.