fbpx

Zonkeys

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Zonkeys

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

Andrea
      Participant

I love the Zonkey Melody! I think he fits in with the Halloween season… Looks like the unicorn is wearing a zebra costume! ๐Ÿ˜›
        I can’t wait to get him home!
        Happy Halloween!
        Andrea

Bodine
        Participant

Phoenix wrote:

I love the Zonkey Melody! I think he fits in with the Halloween season… Looks like the unicorn is wearing a zebra costume! ๐Ÿ˜›
          Happy Halloween!
          Andrea

You won the Grand?CONGRATS!! He’s my favorite so far ๐Ÿ™‚

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Andrea
          Participant

Yeah… He’s my fav so far as well. It was one that Mike said he liked so really I got it for him…. Really.. ๐Ÿ˜€
            I have a zorse hatching pegasus… Now I just need a mother pegasus to tie them together ๐Ÿ˜†

Bodine
            Participant

Phoenix wrote:

Yeah… He’s my fav so far as well. It was one that Mike said he liked so really I got it for him…. Really.. ๐Ÿ˜€
              I have a zorse hatching pegasus… Now I just need a mother pegasus to tie them together ๐Ÿ˜†

oh… LUCKY YOU…*clapping with vigor* Please share family photos when you have them all ๐Ÿ˜‰

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Melody
              Keymaster

Phoenix wrote:

Happy Halloween!
                Andrea

I have always wondered why Zonkeys look so much like Somali wild …donkeys… (forum filters the real name of that animal) I found out that Somali wild donkeys with the black and white leg stripes are thought to be the wild animal that domestic donkeys were bred from. That would explain why Zonkeys have such nice bright leg stripes; maybe leg stripes are still somewhere in a domestic donkey’s DNA and it readily expresses itself when they are hybridized.
                -And to immediately shoot down my own theory, that would mean if leg stripes where recessive, normal donkeys should still occasionally show the black and white leg stripes.They never do – far as I know.
                Just rambling here…

I am glad you like the Zonkey unicorn! I thought he was really cute too. I am planning to paint some other Zonkeys soon as we get extra castings. I did paint a Zonkey hippogriff. This hybridizing is getting intense!

Andrea
                Participant

I wonder if the stripes showing up has something to do with the donkey having dun? Dun sometimes lets the leg barring show through.
                  I have no clue if dun in horses is the same for donkeys though. I wonder if zebras are dun? ๐Ÿ˜•

Pam

?

Zebras have leg stripes.

Andrea
                    Participant

Yep. What I’m asking is if the same gene (dun) for donkeys that is responsible for the dorsal and sometimes leg stripes is the same for zebras. Do zebras carry dun?

Melody
                      Keymaster

Phoenix wrote:

Yep. What I’m asking is if the same gene (dun) for donkeys that is responsible for the dorsal and sometimes leg stripes is the same for zebras. Do zebras carry dun?

Don’t know about dun, but with my small amount of genetics learnin’ , I think I remember that the tendency for certain markings -and the coat color can be many separate genes,(though I know they are often inherited as a package) , donkeys may have the latent trait for bold leg stripes but without the color genes to make them show up. Donkeys do sometimes have soft dun-type leg stripes, don’t they? I am just making this up, but it sounds plausible… like everything I make up.
                        I wonder if a dun horse bred to a zebra is stripier than an solid colored horse/ zebra cross?

Melody
                        Keymaster

Pam Thompson wrote:

?

Zebras have leg stripes.

Thats a pretty zebra. Look how the stripes form a design around the “chestnut” on his leg!

Pam

Sounds like a new Poad color–Zebra Chestnut!!

Skeeterdeee
                            Participant

[img][img][/img][/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                              LOL

Thrippa
                              Participant

Those are northern zebras, by the way; the farther south you go the fewer leg stripes they have, with the (original) extreme southern type being the quagga, with no leg stripes at all.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.