fbpx

Zelda's PYOs – Rhodochrosite Dragon on pg. 2!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Zelda's PYOs – Rhodochrosite Dragon on pg. 2!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Zelda
    Participant

Hello all! I thought I’d start up a thread for my PYO pieces, since I have a new one just finished and a dragon on the way. This is a blue-eyed ki-rin I’ve named “Snow Queen”. Here are some pics, with info below!

There are more pics in my gallery too! This girl is named “Snow Queen” after a color of Radiant Pearls paint, which added a pearly white sheen and little flecks of blue sparkles to the body scales. Unfortunately, they don’t show up well in the pictures! Anyway, she’s got a blend of metallic and normal acrylics with a matte finish on her fur. Her body scales are done with a layering of a white base coat, the aforementioned Radiant Pearls paint, and touches of interference blue, with a satin finish. Her eyelids, ears, and nose have a pink tint, with some gray and pink mottling on her nose and lips. Finally, her horn and hooves are painted with a ground silver and bronze powdered pigment, sealed with a glossy finish. There’s a lot of detail that’s hard to capture unless you’re up close. As you can see, the play of colors changes a lot depending on lighting too. I had a lot of fun with this and am very pleased with how she came out. Hope you all enjoy!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Zelda
      Participant

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Maria
        Participant

I saw her in the gallery, and she’s quite pretty.

lamortefille
          Participant

Very pretty!

Heather
            Participant

She has a lovely depth of color and I love the mottling on her muzzle. I have a terrible time getting fur to look right, but hers is marvellous with the blue fading in and out. Very nice work! πŸ™‚

purpledragonclaw
              Participant

Ooh, pretty! I too like the mottling on the nose!

Amanda
                Participant

Very pretty, I love those colors together πŸ˜€ Making me want to try a kirin too!

Zelda
                  Participant

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback, because working with a smaller sculpture than the larger griffin and wolf PYOs I’ve done made me nervous at first! Thank goodness for small brushes, haha.

Also want to add in that I’m open for commissions, so if anyone wanted one like this, something similar, or whatever, drop me a line! Thanks again!

Lokie
                    Participant

I said this in the gallery photo, but again, I really like the mottling on her muzzle; makes her face interesting. πŸ™‚

Zelda
                      Participant

Thanks! I didn’t see your gallery comment until just now, haha. I’m glad the mottling came out so well, I thought it needed something to break up the color scheme and draw more attention to the face.

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

She’s Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite! I’ve not really been a fan of this sculpt *ducks for cover* but I reeeeeeeeeally like her! She’s lovely!

tdm

Travistie
                          Participant

She is very pretty! You did a really nice job on the blending of her fur. πŸ˜€

Jasmine
                            Participant

Okay, how did you manage to get the scales to be flat…not show your brush strokes? Trying to gather as much info as I can before I try my next one.

Zelda
                              Participant

Thanks twindragonsmum and travistie! Jasmine, the scales have four layers of paint on them. The base coat was white acrylic which went all over the sculpt. It was a kind of eggshell white to begin with and I wanted it bright white so that it wouldn’t affect the color of the paint I was going to put over it. The base coat actually helped make the scales smooth, I believe. Gypsum stone absorbs paint readily, so the next layer spread better because it didn’t absorb as much as it would have without the base coat.

Then the scales got a coat of metallic white. I find that starting with a brush that has a good deal of paint on it helped me to get a smooth effect. I used a medium sized brush and just kept making sweeping downward movements, scale by scale, working from the shoulders down until it looked smooth, and put more on as the brush started getting dry.

The next coat was a kind of paint called Radiant Pearls. I’d never worked with the stuff before but it behaves more like an oil paint, it is VERY slow to dry but I believe that allowed the brush strokes to disappear as the paint flowed in to cover them. The last layer is a little bit of shading near the top of each scale and the center crease with some interference blue pigment powder. This was applied while the third layer was still wet, so that it stuck.

FINALLY everything was sealed with a satin varnish. Phew! I hope that didn’t put you to sleep, and good luck with your next work!

Jasmine
                                Participant

Nope, that’s a big help. Thanks. πŸ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.