fbpx

Yummy Chickpea Curry Stir Fry and Coconut Rice

Home Forums Miscellany Food Yummy Chickpea Curry Stir Fry and Coconut Rice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Blocked

So one day I wanted to make an easy stir fry using what I had in the cupboard and fridge at the time and made up this recipe that turned out really good. I don’t have exact measurements of everything but it is more made to taste and is pretty easy and quick to make. The whole thing takes about 30 min to cook.

Chickpea Curry and Coconut Rice

1 large can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed) (540 mL or 19 oz)
      or use dried chickpeas that have been soaked and are ready to use
      1 can of coconut milk (400 mL or 14 oz)
      1 small can of tomato paste or crushed tomatoes (156 mL or 5 oz) or 2 fresh tomatoes
      1 cup of rice (brown, white, sticky or wild)
      1-2 tbsp Full flavour Coconut Oil or Olive Oil (not extra virgin)
      1 medium or large onion chopped
      2 Cloves of garlic minced
      2 tsp Curry Powder
      1 tsp Cumin
      1 tsp Turmeric
      1 tsp Ginger (optional)
      Dash of Sea Salt to taste
      Dash Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
      Dash Cayenne Pepper (optional)
      Dash of sugar (optional)

Vegetables chopped up (your choice of 2 or 3 of these): handful each of okra, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, mushrooms, red pepper, spinach, 1 fresh tomato chopped or 1 red pepper chopped

Directions:

1. In a medium pot, start your rice cooking. You can use brown, white, wild rice or sticky rice. Typically, you would use one cup of rice to two cups of cold water, cover and turn on medium-low (or 3 on a dial) and cook according to package directions or until all water is gone (average 20 min. or so).

2. In a medium pot or fry pan, heat your coconut or olive oil on medium-high (7 or 8 on a dial) and add your chopped onion and minced garlic. Once simmering, turn heat down to medium (5) and cook til brown about 5 minutes, continually stirring with a spatula or spoon. If your stove cooks hot, turn down to medium-low (about 3).

3. Once brown, add rinsed chickpeas and then add your spices and mix all together. I did not measure my spices but I would estimate about 1 teaspoon each of cumin and turmeric and about 2 teaspoons of curry powder. I shake on several shakes of sea salt and ground pepper to taste. You can make it spicy by adding cayenne pepper to taste. Your mixture should taste strong as you will diluting it. Cook another 5 min. on medium as you stir. If dry, add a dash of water as it cooks.

4. Add your choice of veggies. For mine I used okra and peas once and another time I used chopped asparagus and fresh tomato. I use a handful or two of chopped up veggies which can be fresh or frozen and like the touch of a fresh tomato or pepper usually. If you don’t want to add tomato paste you can add a couple fresh tomatoes instead. Add a dash or two of water as you mix the veggies in, cover and turn down to low (1-2 on a dial) and simmer about 10 min. If not simmering much, turn the temperature up to medium-low (2-3) and stir every couple minutes.

5. Once the veggies are tender, uncover and add 1/2 to 2/3 of the can of coconut milk and turn the heat back up to medium or medium-high to get it boiling again. Stir well and then add your tomato paste or crushed tomatoes. (If you added fresh tomatoes, you can use half a can of tomato paste or just not add it.) If you like it to have a more rich flavour, use more tomatoes and if you like it more creamy, add more coconut milk. Cover once bubbling and turn back down to low and cook another 10 min. or so to combine all the flavours.

6. Once the rice is done, uncover and add the remaining coconut milk from the can and stir to make it creamy. You can also add some coconut oil for flavour. Add a dash of salt, pepper or sugar to taste. Turn the heat to low and cover, stirring the rice every min. or so until the stir fry is done.

7. As the chickpea stir fry cooks, make sure to taste it and if needed, add more salt, pepper or spices and then cover again and simmer a few more minutes after adding anything. Once done, serve the rice on a plate and spoon the stir fry over the rice for a lovely, tasty vegan meal. This serves 2 people if very hungry and 4 people if you serve smaller servings. If serving more people, double the recipe and use large pots.

Enjoy!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

moonbeam
      Participant

Oh, that sounds delicious! I will definitely try that 🙂

Kim
        Blocked

Great. Let me know how you like it.

Jennifer
          Keymaster

I have not tried this exact recipe but I make veggie curries often. Chick pea curries are really tasty! I bet this one is no exception. 🙂

Great recipe!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Kim
            Blocked

Yeah I basically just made up this recipe up from a combination of other curried dishes I remembered making before but my mom liked it and I thought it was good and easy to make. It’s funny because my mom asked me where the recipe was and I told her it was in my head as she didn’t realized I made it up. haha That’s why I mention especially with the spices it is to taste depending if you like a stronger or weaker flavour. I found I liked to add more spices for more flavour. The nice thing about this dish is that is doesn’t take long to cook. My dad used to always make a Hungarian chicken dish with paprika which starts like this one but he would have to cook it for an hour or two to combine the flavours together but this one only takes about 30 min. total to cook. Anyway let me know what you think and what you find works good seeing the recipe is always open to modifications. Oh and if anyone wants the chicken recipe too I may consider posting that although it’s like my dad’s signature dish I wanted to open up a restaurant with one day. Even though I don’t eat much meat myself, I have to admit his dish is just awesome!

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Like you, I don’t tend to use recipes when making curries. I just combine spices, a liquid, veggies, and sometimes protien and let it simmer.

My base for most Indian-inspired curries tends to be:

Cut an onion to your liking (I prefer to dice) and caramelize it in your cooking oil of preference. I recommend coconut oil as well. Ghee, which is clarified butter, is great too (bonus points for pastured butter).

Stir in mashed garlic and ginger, then dry spices. I tend to use a combo of Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric, Black pepper (ground), Chili powder, sometimes some Cayenne powder, and paprika. Some optional spices that can really change the flavor, so you have to experiment: Cinnamon, Fenugreek, Cardamom, Fennel, Ground cloves, Asafoetida. All of these are STRONG and must be used in moderation, and I wouldn’t use them all together!! For example, for a spicy savory dish I would not use any of these except a dash of the asafotida. For a sweeter, creamier dish, I might add the cinnamon, clove, cadamom, and fennel (small amounts!). It all matters on what flavor you are going for.

I toast the spices in the oil with the onions for 30 seconds or so, then add in my chopped tomatoes if I am using them. If not, I add some liquid, such as stock or coconut milk.

Add your veggies or protien, and simmer until softened or cooked through. If I haven’t already added it by now I often add coconut milk, and sometimes lemon juice if the dish would benefit from a touch of acidity!
                Salt to taste, and serve it how you like. Over cooked rice or quinoa, or by itself.

That’s pretty much my base recipe!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.