WSC's Step by Step PYO process for TDM!!! (ON HOLD)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone WSC's Step by Step PYO process for TDM!!! (ON HOLD)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Ok, because TDM was very persistent about it, and others had asked about me doing this, I am going to show you pics from each session I spend painting my Arctic snow globe Wolf. This wolf is a commission for Poems here on the forums. She asked for an Arctic white wolf, with a triangular “snow globe” in the center. I fell in love with how the wolf came out, so I modified it a bit so I could use the rear haunch as a type of “overlapping” snow hill…It’ll all come out in the end, trust me. πŸ™‚ Now, this is going to be a compiled 8 session post. The next ones will be posted as I go along, it’s jsut that I was on such a roll!!! LOL
    So I sat with a blank odd eyed wolf and looked through pics sent to me, and I admit to googling a few too…And decided, I wanted a mostly white wolf with black under coat. I love those wolves, so it was an easy choice after I saw the photos she sent me.
    I began with a medicine cup (My preferred choice of vessel when using very thin paints. Plus they aren’t too expensive if you can get them from a supply company.) a squirt bottle with clean tap water in it and a small brush…Not tiny, but yet small at the same time. I worked from the center whorls at the haunches outward, then the sides and so on, working that super thin black paint into the sculpt itself. Detailing the creases and folds in the fur. I went over each area until I had what I thought I wanted…After a couple passes…

Next I went back over the areas again to try and deepen the areas that would show the most under coat. The places where the black would show through…

And one last pass to really get some of the fur folds darkened up nicely…

Then came the next step. White dry brushing over all the fur tips, and white where the grey didn’t touch…

(Here I am not entirely sure where all my photos went of the whole process…Perhaps I forgot to send them from my phone…*scratches head* If I find them, I will edit them in here…*sigh* :twisted:)
    **EDIT ADDED PHOTO!!!
    And this is what it looked like with just one pass over a whole side. Still haven’t found the front shots yet. >.<

**We jump ahead, and after a few laps around the wolf adding more white as I went, this is the final look of the wolf’s body…

At the end of this session I re-touched the nails, nose eye rings, and ears with black to pop them back out.

After this, is where I left off and moved to another sculpt. When my hands shake it is much easier to do the not so little details, so the triangle needs work to straighten it out a bit, but I will get it. Then the wings will get more details around the triangle, and then finally the pic for the center. πŸ™‚

There will be more photos of this guy as I go along! πŸ˜€

Bodine
    Participant

It is absolutely gorgeous girl.Congrats TDM πŸ™‚

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

Oh, the wolf is not for TDM…It is for Poems…TDM just asked me for a step by step process… πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum
      Participant

😳 😳 😳 I did ask and ask and ask and, well you get the picture 😈 It’s just that my work always seems to turn out to be very monochromatic (and this from an art major πŸ™„ ) but my dad and mum always encouraged us kids to keep learning and WSC does fabulous work, just like the rest of you! I am also a “visual” learner – I don’t learn easily through written instructions; I have to be shown how to do something… So thankies muchly, WSC! I really appreciate your willingness to put together tutorials for me :yes: πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Kujacker
        Participant

“a squirt bottle with clean tap water in it”
          Do you just spray it directly on the sculpt? Does it help with blending?

Nope…That is just my source of water for mixing and rinsing. LOL If I am using multiple brushes I spray them over a waste can until I rinse most of the paint out. Then I give them another squirt for safe keeping and it keeps them wet enough for me to keep working without getting up to go to the sink…I disdain rinsing jars for my brushes. Also it makes it really easy to add just the right amount of water to my paints. For me atleast. Also it is my arsenal for when my kitties get out of hand. πŸ˜‰ But I have found that actually dipping the brush into a cup of water and giving some sculpts a wet down before I paint if I am using the technique I did here with the undercoat of the wolf. Thanks for asking Kujacker! I would have forgotten to add that part. See in some places you want a VERY light coat, and it helps to keep the sculpt from soaking up so much of the color you use. Plus, honestly, it isn’t like I am dipping them into water. I always try to give them a day to dry before I do the rest. πŸ˜€ And if anyone has other questions feel free to ask me! I’ll do my best to explain my oddball ways of painting.

bayoudragon
          Participant

Yipee! A WIP! I love seeing how others work! πŸ™‚

Mmloda
            Participant

He looks great WC…Thanks for shraring and I can’t wait to see him all finished… πŸ˜‰

Marzena

LadyFirebird
              Participant

Thanks for showing the process–it helps people like me who are painting handicapped!

Anonymous

πŸ™‚

:yes: :yes:

πŸ˜€

I can’t tell you how pretty that wolf is! Also, I can’t tell you how many times I see the initials: WIP and cannot figure out what it means! It’s so exciting and I’m not learning a thing except what abbreviations mean lol Oh, and someone should congratulate me for reaching 300+ posts. Yeah!

bayoudragon
                  Participant

lol… sorry… Work In Progress. 😳

Poems wrote:

πŸ™‚

:yes: :yes:

πŸ˜€

I can’t tell you how pretty that wolf is! Also, I can’t tell you how many times I see the initials: WIP and cannot figure out what it means! It’s so exciting and I’m not learning a thing except what abbreviations mean lol Oh, and someone should congratulate me for reaching 300+ posts. Yeah!
                    Hee hee…I’ll help you out…I’ll start putting all the abbreviations I know by whatever they stand for… 😈 XD
                    Oh yeah, and I PM’d you back again! LOL

twindragonsmum wrote:

😳 😳 😳 I did ask and ask and ask and, well you get the picture 😈 It’s just that my work always seems to turn out to be very monochromatic (and this from an art major πŸ™„ ) but my dad and mum always encouraged us kids to keep learning and WSC does fabulous work, just like the rest of you! I am also a “visual” learner – I don’t learn easily through written instructions; I have to be shown how to do something… So thankies muchly, WSC! I really appreciate your willingness to put together tutorials for me :yes: πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€
                    You betcha! I’ll keep posting more as I work along. And thanks for the wonderful compliment! 😳 (Even though this guy is rather monochromatic in his own right….As in grayscale. XD) I’ll do a Griffin sometime. Those have a lot more stages. 😈
                    I’ve been wanting to do one for you for a while, it’s just that I get started alot of times and forget to take pics as I go along…This time, I have had to push myself to remember I want to take pics. I jsut misplaced a few along the way. LOL

I also added another photo in there. ^.^

Bodine
                    Participant

Sorry Poems for the mistake but lucky you!! πŸ˜€
                      TDM.sorry it isn’t yours πŸ™ but thanks for asking her to do this.Her work is wonderful and it is fun to watch them come to life.Thanks WC,you are one of my silent mentors πŸ˜€

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.