fbpx

Would you ever consider??????

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Would you ever consider??????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    scorpiolady21
    Participant

Hi Melody,

I was wondering if you would ever consider selling an un-painted SK??? Or any of the regular production dragons?? 😳 I know I asked you about a PYO Dragon set earlier…but why I did not think of this I have no idea. πŸ™„ Anyway…..just a thought.

Laramie

Looking for White Dragons! Grail includes the White Secret Keeper!

scorpiolady21
      Participant

Maria
        Participant

Probably not, because it would increase the potential of problems with rip-offs.

scorpiolady21
          Participant

I guess what I was thinking is that she could sell them like she sells the PYO’s. Or possibly change the mold a bit so that it is not like the production ones…….DAMN here I go again….. 😑 Sorry Melody, I just wish that I could paint a SK. Well here’s to hoping…… πŸ˜†

Or maybe you can make them the same sculpt but half the size? That would be neat for PYO’s πŸ˜€

Also since we’re on the subject of “would you consider” …would you ever consider making a chess set with your Windstone pieces? They’d have to be MUCH smaller of course! Or even a PYO chess set πŸ˜›

Maria
            Participant

Chess set is a neat idea. πŸ˜€

Travistie
              Participant

Chess set is a neat idea… but would probably cost a fortune for them to make, and us to buy.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

DROGO wrote:

Or maybe you can make them the same sculpt but half the size? That would be neat for PYO’s πŸ˜€

From how I understand, the problem that arises is that anything that looks like a current production piece- even scaled down- is asking for trouble. That’s why the ‘keeper’ dragon, that might be a PYO, looks different and has different scale textures, etc. There are a lot of copyright and trade dress issues at hand.

That’s part of why Windstone is not selling blank, unpainted pieces of their production line. The PYO needs to be maintained as a separate line.

If they sold production casts unpainted, this could lead to all sorts of problems:

1. Who painted it?? Is it a special OOAK factory piece or did a collecter paint it? Is it a rip off? See, Windstone keeps track of all their OOAK and artist’s editions of production pieces. If pieces started showing up with different paint jobs, it would create a lot of confusion. There would be no way to tell fake pieces (or rip offs) from real ones that are just painted differently. This is a legal nightmare for Windstone.

2. Copyrights/trade dress. Melody’s production and artist pieces need to stay a separate line from the PYOs. Once a piece is produced in production, it should not become a PYO. And vice verse, when a piece is a PYO you can bet it won’t become a production item.

As for making a sculpt as large as the SK for a PYO, I can foresee a few problems… Secret Keepers are hard to cast. They are heavy and take an eon to dry. They would not be cost effective enough to sell as a PYO. Yes, there are a few of us nutcases that would be crazy enough to pay several hundred dollars plus $50 to ship it to us just to paint… but I dare say that they probably wouldn’t sell enough of them to make it worth it.
                  Plus, Melody’d have to sculpt an all new piece, and at that size it’d take her years, I think (Melody? How long did the SK take you to make?).

Just some food for thought. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Melody
                  Keymaster

scorpiolady21 wrote:

Hi Melody,

I was wondering if you would ever consider selling an un-painted SK??? Or any of the regular production dragons?? 😳 I know I asked you about a PYO Dragon set earlier…but why I did not think of this I have no idea. πŸ™„ Anyway…..just a thought.

Laramie No, except for the ones that Jennifer paints, we never let unfinished regular dragons out of the factory. We do that to make it a little easier for us to keep track of our real pieces, and be able to tell them from copies.

Melody
                    Keymaster

Quote:

How long did the SK take you to make?

My assistant Dhey, and I worked on the SK pretty hard for two years, but it was set aside for awhile to work on other sculpture, so I don’t know the actual number of “man hours” in it. I should carefully keep track of how long a piece actually takes to finish one of these days, though I really don’t want to know!

Bob

Melody wrote:

Quote:

How long did the SK take you to make?

My assistant Dhey, and I worked on the SK pretty hard for two years, but it was set aside for awhile to work on other sculpture, so I don’t know the actual number of “man hours” in it. I should carefully keep track of how long a piece actually takes to finish one of these days, though I really don’t want to know!
                        I don’t think I would want to know either but she looks GREAT now!!

Melody
                        Keymaster

DROGO wrote:

Also since we’re on the subject of “would you consider” …would you ever consider making a chess set with your Windstone pieces? They’d have to be MUCH smaller of course! Or even a PYO chess set πŸ˜›

A pyo chess set! That is a neat idea! What should the pieces be?

Jodi
                          Participant

Melody wrote:

DROGO wrote:

A pyo chess set! That is a neat idea! What should the pieces be?

Dragons vs. Gargoyles
                            Dragons vs. Unicorns

Just some thoughts.

wolflodge100
                            Participant

dragons against griffins?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.