fbpx

Would this be construed as copyright infringement?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Would this be construed as copyright infringement?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ki-Rin-Unicorn-fantasy-horse-ACEO-origonal_W0QQitemZ200141269126QQihZ010QQcategoryZ151719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it’s the gold horn and pearl and brown body, I don’t know if I’m reaching on this one or not, what do you guys think?

KoishiiKitty
    Participant

I’d say pretty generic Kirin with a horse based body. the colors are reminiscent but the picture as a whole has no definition of scales and fur.

seems harmless to me

no it wouldnt beings kirins are the japanese style unicorn an i dotn think they have a copyright on them :p and that kirin in particular bares no resemblence to melody’s verisions

Skigod377
      Participant

I would have to agree that it does not infringe. ๐Ÿ™‚

If they ware melodys own idea, but since they are a creature like a dragon then no ๐Ÿ˜€

Maria
        Participant

Even if the thing had scales, I’d say it wouldn’t infringe. The colors and head are too different.

Starbreeze
          Participant

I agree with everyone else. I don’t think it’s an infringement.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

It doesn’t have the Windstone ‘look’ to it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Not an infringement. It’s nice to see others making kirin art! ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Thanks guys!!! I was reaching with this one I guess!!

John
              Keymaster

DragonMistress wrote:

Thanks guys!!! I was reaching with this one I guess!!

I don’t think you were reaching at all. Being familiar with existing kirin artwork (prior art) I can tell you that this design was inspired by and, to some extent, copies Melody’s kirins. Were this artist to derive more designs from Melody’s artwork we would have a very strong argument in showing that the artist intentionally copied. “substantial similarity” is a tougher standard to make stick when you lack proof of familiarity with the artist’s work who is being copied.

This is a great example of something that is probably not worth the hassle to pursue but still does slightly erode our copyright protection for that piece.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.