fbpx

Wisdom Teeth

Home Forums Miscellany Community Wisdom Teeth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

I get to have my wisdom teeth taken out, finally. We haven’t arranged an appointment yet for the surgery, but I’m hoping it will be soon… meanwhile, I was wondering–anyone got any nice horror stories about having their wisdom teeth pulled?

It will distract me from the pain of needing them out and give me something fun to think about while I’m waiting for the appointment. ๐Ÿ˜€

dragonmedley
    Participant

Mine went fine. Just pain the next day, drugged myself up with Tylenol 3. Didn’t swell much at all, really.

See, things can go just fine! ๐Ÿ˜€

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Chessie. I’ve actually never even been to the dentist before in my life. My family didn’t have insurance and it was too expensive and by the time I grew up and had my own job & insurance through that, I was too much in the habit of not going.

I know I know, Bad drag0n!!! LOL! When my wisdom teeth came in I didn’t even feel them. I don’t know if I was just lucky or if I was so use to chronic toothaches and stuff it didn’t seem too big of a deal by then. Surprisingly I have pretty perfect *looking* teeth, but I know I have at least 6 or 7 cavities, and they always say double what you think you have and that’s probably what you’ve got! I’d be terrfied to go now! A dentist could probably retire early on all the work I must have to get done by now! ๐Ÿ˜†

I have nightmares my teeth are falling out all the time! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Good luck and make sure when it’s over you tell me it was really easy and didn’t hurt so I can get up the courage to go myself some day! haha!

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Well, that’s encouraging! I hope mine go that way. At the moment my jaw aches so much I wouldn’t even care if the operation did go wrong, I just want ’em OUT!

drag0nfeathers wrote:

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Chessie. I’ve actually never even been to the dentist before in my life. My family didn’t have insurance and it was too expensive and by the time I grew up and had my own job & insurance through that, I was too much in the habit of not going.

I know I know, Bad drag0n!!! LOL! When my wisdom teeth came in I didn’t even feel them. I don’t know if I was just lucky or if I was so use to chronic toothaches and stuff it didn’t seem too big of a deal by then. Surprisingly I have pretty perfect *looking* teeth, but I know I have at least 6 or 7 cavities, and they always say double what you think you have and that’s probably what you’ve got! I’d be terrfied to go now! A dentist could probably retire early on all the work I must have to get done by now! ๐Ÿ˜†

I have nightmares my teeth are falling out all the time! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Good luck and make sure when it’s over you tell me it was really easy and didn’t hurt so I can get up the courage to go myself some day! haha!

Eep! If I were you I’d *want* to go to the dentist. If you have the cavities dealt with they won’t hurt anymore. And besides, dentists are nice… Of course, I’ve never had any cavities or anything horrible done to me except for orthodontia (LOTS of it), so I’ve always kinda liked going to the dentist. They make your mouth feel all clean and nice and give you tasty flouride foam stuff. And stickers! Well… not anymore, but they used to. Haha. I sound like a brainwashed kindergartener. Whee.

nessiemom
        Participant

I have a wonderful dentist… If I even widen my eyes he stops and doses me again… And I made it through a root canal and crown, even!! Really, most dentists nowadays are very careful about being pain-free…

I had my wisdom teeth taken out, and they gave me tylenol-3, and I had the start of an allergic reaction… And ended up getting dry sockets… That was an experience… The root canal was a piece of cake compared to that!!!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

I had all four of mine surgically removed, before they crested (they would have impacted). I was given funny gas (NO2) and some something via IV but I was awake the whole time. If you can call it that!

I remember staring straight forward in a happy happy stupor while they cut my gums open, broke the teeth (and it turns out a bit of my jawbone!) and extracted them. I remember thinking “NEAT! That’s my TOOTH in there grinding around! Whoa BLOOD! NEAT!” (sound like anyone you know?). They then packed the giant holes in the back of my mouth and stitched me up. It was the day after Easter and we had just had an ice storm so I fell on my rump on the way out to the car, since I was still drugged up. I didn’t drive, no worries!!

Several days and many codine later, I was still bleeding and in a lot of pain. Lemme tell you how much it sucks to have to drool your own blood out for days so you don’t choke on it (I had to sleep on towels). Jello and soup and ice cream…

Anyhow they ‘thought’ I had a dry socket, so they prematurely cut the stitches open and pulled the cotton out.. holy crap!! That hurt so bad I wanted to kick the oral surgeon. Turns out I DIDN’T have a dry socket so they stuffed the cotton back in (OWOOOWOOWWW) and stitched me back up (OOWOWOWOWOWW) and off I went.

I think it was like 1-2 weeks later that I got my stitches out for real, then the next several months each time I ate I had to spray my gum-craters out with a little pipette. What a pain! And these shards of broken tooth and jaw bone chips kept coming up through my gums. Ow! That was 8 years ago, but I still have dimples and bumples under my gums where I think there are shards embedded.

But, all in all, I guess it’s better than having them impact under my other teeth… my father had that happen to him and he said it was the wost pain ever! Ack.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

SPark
            Participant

I only had two wisdom teeth, and weirdly enough they were the upper left, and the lower right! No idea why those two.

I had them surgically removed before I took my trip to Ireland, because dentistry there isn’t terribly good, and if they’d started to come in while I was there, it would have been really bad, I don’t have the room for them in my mouth.

Anyhow… it was one of the strangest things I’ve ever had done, since I could sort of feel everything they were doing, it just didn’t hurt any. Wheee novocaine!

I had no troubles at all though, just felt weird and tender for a while. I didn’t have any of that stuff with bleeding all over, I mean it did bleed but not that much, not enough that I had to worry about swallowing too much of it. And I didn’t have to spray my gums with anything, or anything. I ate really soft foods the first day or so, and avoided anything that required a lot of chewing for about a week, and that was it.

No shards either, they got them out in two or three pieces, with nothing left behind.

I’ve been told the other two may eventually turn up, so I may have to go through it again, but it wasn’t really that bad, so I don’t mind.

nessiemom
              Participant

Yikes! Mine just pulled the teeth… Didn’t break them, and that was ummmm… subtract 3, carry the 2… let’s just say over 20 years ago!! They gave me locals to numb everything, then put in a valium drip… Talk about a happy camper!! I went to a dental college to have it done… All I remember is looking up after the surgery and seeing the most handsome dental student I’d ever seen in my life… Now mind you, I was so happy on the valium, he could have been as ugly as… And I can’t remember for the life of me what he looked like… Just remember looking up and going “Wow”! I don’t think I remember anything after that until about 3 hours later… lol…

wolflodge100
                Participant

I had to get 4 teeth pulled for braces when I was 16. I was real mad at my mom because she wouldn’t let me go to a dance that night. I’ve had no problems with any of the ones I’ve had pulled. As long as they aren’t impackted, you should have no worries!

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

I had my all four of wisdom teeth pulled about 10 years ago. They gave me Laughing Gas and Twilight Sleep (an IV) so I don’t remember a thing from the surgery. For the next week I ate soft foods and rinsed out the sockets with a little pipet to keep them clean. I was lucky and didn’t have dry sockets and I was religious at taking my pain meds or I would have been in bad shape.

I had my teeth pulled on the Monday of Spring Break (what a way to spend one!) and was feeling well enough to go to a RPG the following Friday or Saturday night.

NirvanaCat13
                    Participant

I have vicodin…… ๐Ÿ˜ˆ Ask your mother first! 8)

Jodi
                      Participant

I had my wisdom teeth out two at a time so I could eat better in between. I had the left side done first and the dentist (who was also my dad’s cousin) gave me a big bruise where he put in the novocaine. I had a date that night — first date– with a guy who was making me supper at his house… spaghetti. I had to cut it into tiny bits because I couldn’t open my mouth wide. I still cut my spaghetti into small pieces to eat… it’s so much easier (at least something useful came out of it). He thought that I had gotten in a fight because of the bruise and swelling, so I had to tell him about my teeth.

The right side went a lot smoother and no bruising. I don’t remember much of the procedure. It must have went okay because I probably would have remembered it if it had been bad.

siberakh1
                        Participant

I only have two (both on top) and they are somewhere up in my gums. I can feel them (they’ve been there for at least 10 years at this point). They are like two molar spaces behind my molars, so there is no way they could ever break through.

A friend of mine had a root canal and was supposed to have been knocked out. He would wake up periodicaly just enough to be like, omg! I can feel that!!!!!, but still knocked out enough that he couldn’t move or react. Something like that would happen to him ๐Ÿ˜‰ He was ok afterward though and had some codeine for a couple of days.

Everyone in my family that have had teeth pulled have had no problems. I’ve never had anything beyond a cleaning when I do schedule visits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.