fbpx

Windstone Display/Cabinets

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Windstone Display/Cabinets

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Bob

At work here I have been told to be VERY careful about any IKEA furniture at all. It’s disposable furniture more for college kids then keepsakes

Laurie
      Participant

Yeah my husband used to work for the Ikea warehouse and he said everything there was junk. He gets mad when I go to Ikea lol.

Dragon Master wrote:

At work here I have been told to be VERY careful about any IKEA furniture at all. It’s disposable furniture more for college kids then keepsakes

Very true. I went to a few stores today to look for a new cabinet but they are hard to find! Especially an affordable one.

siberakh1
        Participant

You could always try an antique or thrift store, even garage sales, sometimes have stuff at decent prices. It might have scratches or need a little work, but if you have the time and are at all handy with some sandpaper and a bit of wood stain, you might be able to find something. Also, there are stores that sell furniture unfinished. You’d just need to add the stain/paint you’d want yourself.

Just a few thoughts 🙂

WolfenMachine
          Participant

I have most of my dragons on two shelves I purchased from Target for about $30 each. They are ASTRONOMICALLY heavy and take maybe an hour+ to assemble, but for $30, they look nice, and hold 45lbs/shelf, and 150lbs on the bottom shelf. That’s enough for 3 larger pieces (male/mamma griffins/dragons or flap kitties) plus some smaller ones (fledglings, youg dragons, PYO’s etc) I love them! (well they are super functionable! Nothing as nice as the large glass shelved cabinet pictured, but fuctionable! :))

Bob

WolfenMachine wrote:

I have most of my dragons on two shelves I purchased from Target for about $30 each. They are ASTRONOMICALLY heavy and take maybe an hour+ to assemble, but for $30, they look nice, and hold 45lbs/shelf, and 150lbs on the bottom shelf. That’s enough for 3 larger pieces (male/mamma griffins/dragons or flap kitties) plus some smaller ones (fledglings, youg dragons, PYO’s etc) I love them! (well they are super functionable! Nothing as nice as the large glass shelved cabinet pictured, but fuctionable! :))

For that price I’d like to know what they look like

Elena
              Participant

I’ve had Ikea shelves all my life and never had a problem with them.

Azurielle
                Participant

the target shelves are nice, I have a few, but the majority/special pieces in my collection are in an oak curio case with wooden shelves. holds up nicely. I found mine for cheap on craigslist.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Bob

I might have them . I had 5 tall one at one time and 2 short ones. When I got my new glass display cases I gave 2 of the tall ones to a friend. I had to put them together myself. They where Cherry Wood finish

Celestial Rainstorm
                    Participant

Hi all, I decided to ressurect this thread because I had to pack up my entire room so it can be painted. I had some of my Windstones displayed the way I wanted, but some were kinda in random places and it didn’t look nice. Any ideas? I want to see your displays!

Finding happiness again.

Nightcrow
                      Participant

My Windstones are “free range” – I don’t currently own a display cabinet, so they live in groups scattered around my bedroom. Most of the Whites are on the big dresser, with an enclave on the bookshelf by the bed as well. There’s a trio of Orientals on the small dresser, and the shelf above the desk has six Lap Dragons in a rainbow of colors. Smaller pieces like the Pebble Cougars and the Frog Prince are tucked here and there around the room, often on top of books or in a short row on top of the little shelf at the end of the snake’s tank.

I own more than I can display right now (just one more reason I’m looking at buying my own house!) so periodically box some up and swap them out for others.

Since I got all the scattered Lap Dragons down for a photo session today, I’m thinking about rearranging; they look so nice together, it occurs to me that I could box up a few Whites and move the rest to the over-desk shelf, and then maybe the Laps would (mostly) fit on the big dresser…

When I have my own place, I definitely plan to acquire some shelves specifically for the Windstones! The larger pieces, especially: I feel that they look best with a dedicated place of their own. (I quite like the smaller pieces tucked in unexpected places, though; that probably won’t change, except for there’ll be more!) My plan is for wooden shelves; I don’t trust glass, not after some of the horror stories I’ve heard/seen photos of. Plus, I think the shininess of glass can distract from the Windstones, or cast weird glares on them. A solid, neutral wood tone just sort of fades into the background, letting the pieces shine. (One reason I really love seeing them on the dresser.) Glass doors would be nice, though, to cut down on dust and pet-related incidents.

Ideally, I’d like to commission custom shelving, but failing that I think I could make do with a premade piece; I’m willing to invest some time and effort (and networking) to modify it by painting/refinishing, adding doors, etc. if I can find a solid piece or two!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Kathleen
                        Participant

I am renovating and hoping to soon figure out display space for mine. I want them behind glass for dust protection but having a difficult time finding something other than IKEA. I dont want glass shelves either. I enjoy seeing all your displays. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.