fbpx

White Pawed Wolf Question

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone White Pawed Wolf Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Ok, I have two wolves here that both have white paws. One is the b/w, one is white. Question. What color are the toe nails?? Also, do they have solid pink nose/toes, or are they multi colored?

My dog has solid paws, and a black face(german shepard) so, while he was willing to help, he didn’t have the answers i need πŸ™„

I painted the one wolf’s nails grey, but they are REALLY STARK, so i fugred that can’t be the right color. Maybe shelltone(like horses…)

littleironhorse
    Participant

I’ve seen several combinations: one dog I had that was black with white socks and collar had black pawpads and black toenails.

A friend’s dog who was completely white had pink pawpads and yellowish toenails.

Another friend’s dog, who was also mainly black but with white socks (same litter as my dog) had pink pawpads with splotches of black. Some of his toenails were black and others yellowish.

littleironhorse wrote:

I’ve seen several combinations: one dog I had that was black with white socks and collar had black pawpads and black toenails.

A friend’s dog who was completely white had pink pawpads and yellowish toenails.

Another friend’s dog, who was also mainly black but with white socks (same litter as my dog) had pink pawpads with splotches of black. Some of his toenails were black and others yellowish.

Wow.
      Maybe I’ll make my b/w one mixed. that might be intresting. I don’t like how heturned out, buy hubby LOVES him and is all upset I’m putting him on ebay. I was just wanting to finish him up this morning, when I came across this paw snag. Thanks for your help!!

littleironhorse wrote:

Did the mixed pawpads go with the darker toe nails, or was it completly random?

littleironhorse
      Participant

Hmm, I can’t remember… To me it stands to reason that the black toenails would go with the pawpads with black splotches…

BTW, that’s really how they were, not one completely black pawpad next to a pink one, but mainly pink pawpads with unevenly distributed splotches of black.

littleironhorse wrote:

Hmm, I can’t remember… To me it stands to reason that the black toenails would go with the pawpads with black splotches…

BTW, that’s really how they were, not one completely black pawpad next to a pink one, but mainly pink pawpads with unevenly distributed splotches of black.

Ok. I’ll water down some black, and see what I come up with. Is the nose spotted too? This wolf I’m doing has two spots of black that touch the nose. All I have to go by is horse knowlege, which was making me think those parts of his nose would be darker. He’s cute. I think i’ll do another one like him, only with less white πŸ˜•

littleironhorse
        Participant

Hmmm, Good question. My dog and his litter mate both had black noses. The white dog’s nose was sort of pale liver colored. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a dog with a spotted nose, but I’m not saying it couldn’t happen.

And yes, I’ve observed that the coloring is fairly similar to that of horses. pink skin=light hair, dark skin=dark hair. But like in horse, you also have the false whites that are really grey, and those sometimes have spotted or black skin under the light hair. The only thing is, most dogs’ coats are denser than most horses’ so you can’t really see the color of the skin unless you push the hair aside to look.

Hey! I just noticed something: my current dog, who’s top coat is like a German Sheperd, has mostly pink skin, but then, her under coat is pale blond. She only has black skin on her head and the bony part of her legs, where she has almost no undercoat.

Not trying to confuse you, but this topic got me curious πŸ˜€

Tiffany
          Participant

if you have mixed colored toenails you would most likely have mixed color toepads. my papillons, a piebald breed, have white on their legs and feet and they will either have pink or spotted pink toes. some have alternating toe color ..one black ,one pink one black, one pink or pink ones with spots and then a black. ooh, i should get a picture! their spotted toes are so cute!! that is due to the fact that the breed has ticking in the coat( little flecks of color on white) due to their spaniel/ hunting dog ancestry; naturally you would get the flecks of color on the toepads too. now maximus, my canadian/english pap, though his legs are all white as the others, has almost all black nails and toepads though he has two whitish nails. it is the style in those countries to have a dog with black not white nails (u.s. likes white for a daintier foot). also ,great pyrenees are an almost white dog or all white dog, but they,per standard ,are supposed to have black toenails, pads, gums and eyerims.
            anyhoo, i’m not sure where i was going with that, but at any rate, toenail/ toe color can be mixed, but i can’t recall ever seeing a husky with anything other than pink toes cuz their legs are sooooo almost inevitably white. i am really poking on the internet trying to find out on this…

Tiffany
            Participant

also, the nails can be striped, not just solid white or black my dogs have plenty of those. i think noses are solid either in one color or another, only if you have extreme parti-coloredness, like a harlequin great dane would you have a spotted nose. certainly not on a wolf, maybe on an extreme parti husky. it is not desirable though, as bright pink spots on the nose would be prone to sunburn as they have no pigment.of course there is snow nose in huskies ,etc where the nose color lightens on the high points… but i’m not sure if wolves get that.

Heather
              Participant

Regarding pad color and nail color in canids: It seems pretty consistent that if a pad is all dark, the nail usually is too. Likewise, if the skin around a nail is dark, the nail is usually dark. Light skin and especially pink pads tend to result in pink/white nails. You can also get a mixture of dark nails and white nails on the same paw, although this still seems to depend on the neighboring skin color. And I’m sure there are exceptions to every rule! πŸ™‚
                It can get fun when the pad and/or the skin are finely spotted, like some Queensland heelers or spaniels and their cousins. This will give you a striped nail (like you might find on a horse’s hoof) where the dark nail is next to the dark skin and the pink/white nail is next to the white skin.
                Calico and tortoiseshell cats are REALLY cool demonstrations of coat color genetics, but they’re not the topic here, so I’ll be quiet. πŸ˜›
                Pictures would help, darn it; I wish I had a good photo reference. I bet a groomer could put together a fantanstic coat color and paw reference!

Tiffany
                Participant

i got some blurry pics of one of lucys feet. this is her best example, with two pink toes and dark toes with pink spots in the center of them, really cute! she has all white nails. excuse her violated look, shes very cowardly!! plus i found a pic of a husky on the internet that has darkish /spotted toes, wow! peek real close! i will call my groomer who has huskies and ask her. but still this doesn’t address wolves. i’ll assume they have all dark toes. thats my bet.
                  [img][/img]
                  [img][/img]

tfsculptures wrote:

i got some blurry pics of one of lucys feet. this is her best example, with two pink toes and dark toes with pink spots in the center of them, really cute! she has all white nails. excuse her violated look, shes very cowardly!! plus i found a pic of a husky on the internet that has darkish /spotted toes, wow! peek real close! i will call my groomer who has huskies and ask her. but still this doesn’t address wolves. i’ll assume they have all dark toes. thats my bet.
                  [img][/img]
                  [img][/img]

First off, the look on your dogs face that you are taking a picture of his foot 😯 Priceless.

Thank you fr the WEALTH of information. I didn’t really think I’d get too much of a reply honestly.

Now, I looked at your Husky’s nose, because that is similar markings to the one that I did facewise. But, I brought the black all the way down to his nose, which is why I thought he might have a multi colored nose, but I see your dog has no white around the nose, but still a VERY dark grey/black nose. that’s intresting. I never thought of the sun burning issue(I’m actuall not a dog fat at all until we got Harley, and the Wolf Windstone). I don’t like dog slobber πŸ‘Ώ , but that’s a whole other issue.

I thank you for takign the time to humor my questions.

Tiffany
                  Participant

btw ,its not my husky, i just found the pic on the internet. i would never have one, esp with paps, a husky would most likely eat them. i think the biggest thing to think about is what ARE you painting exactly ?…a wolf or a husky? that would really effect the whole nail toe thingamongst alot of other stuff!!! i saw no pic anywhere on the internet of a wolf with anything other than dark nails n pads. they have some different facial makings too from some of those that manifest with huskies. do your homework and check out some husky sites for reference to husky face markings. there is alot of variety in the the nose bar, eye ring/mask and blaze areas. i have never seen a true wolf with pure true white feet, though they do usually gradate to a cream /pale beige tone, but not true ice white. arctic wolves are a different story though. ah well off to do something on the list today.hope that helps.

tfsculptures wrote:

btw ,its not my husky, i just found the pic on the internet. i would never have one, esp with paps, a husky would most likely eat them. i think the biggest thing to think about is what ARE you painting exactly ?…a wolf or a husky? that would really effect the whole nail toe thingamongst alot of other stuff!!! i saw no pic anywhere on the internet of a wolf with anything other than dark nails n pads. they have some different facial makings too from some of those that manifest with huskies. do your homework and check out some husky sites for reference to husky face markings. there is alot of variety in the the nose bar, eye ring/mask and blaze areas. i have never seen a true wolf with pure true white feet, though they do usually gradate to a cream /pale beige tone, but not true ice white. arctic wolves are a different story though. ah well off to do something on the list today.hope that helps.

All of the pictures I printed off and used were actual Husky’s. I have a question though, is the Windstone Winged Dog a wolf or a husky? the one I’m doing must be a husky haha, but as I enjoy him more than the dragon, I plan to do more, so it’d be nice to know πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.