fbpx

Which is better????

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Which is better????

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Fritochick (Mary)
    Participant

HI- I collect a particular Breyer horse mold. Can’t do tooo many , my first passion are Windstone Emps. Anyway an extremly old model came up for auction. A few blemishes, but not tooooo awfully bad considering it’s 60 years old. So my question is do I wait for perfect, which is REALLY expensive, or do you grab the blemished one and wait if something more “minty” comes along????

Purplecat
      Participant

Really…neither is better. It really depends on why you’re collecting and in what state you’re able to enjoy a piece.

I have several windstones that I purchased chipped or scuffed, that I have no intent of replacing or repairing. I’m ok with them the way they are. This is mostly the case with very old windstones.

However, there are certain sculpts that a chip (especially on the show side) would nag the daylights out of me…and in that case I hold out for what I want in mint condition. It’s just more cost efficient that way.

My opinion is that you should save up for what you want, dont ‘settle’ for less just so you can replace it later.

However, if you’re ok with a chip or two, just so you can enjoy the overall look of a piece, go ahead and nab a cheaper one. Chipped dragons need love too.

Christine
        Participant

If it’s a rare piece, and the price for the damaged one is reasonable, I’d say go for it! Depending on what you like in your pieces, you can keep this one forever and be happy you filled out that part of your collection. Or keep it until you can find a mint one, and resell the non-mint one. You’ll have no trouble finding a buyer AND recouping your costs if it’s a consistently in-demand piece, and you didn’t pay out the nose to begin with.

I did the same with my Jade Oriental. I found a busted one and fixed it up. He looked gorgeous on my shelf and made me happy for 2 years. But I didn’t hesitate when I found a mint one for sale. And my original repaired one found a very happy home with another forum member. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.