fbpx

Which critters…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Which critters…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Melody
    Keymaster

NicoleH wrote:

aww i can’t see him… probably one of the few people left on the planet that doesn’t use facebook 😳 How are sheep as pets? I feel like i want to get some when i move to be brush controllers. I’ve only ever had goats and for some reason sheep seem less high maintenance to me. Are you thinking of getting another pony/horse ever?

Dang, I need to figure out how to post pics on here from facebook. I have some pics of my sheep on facebook too.

Sheep are wonderful, but from my experience, they are as high maintenance as goats: they need the same twice yearly vet visit for vaccinations, deworming , hoof trims, and you gotta watch for lice and stuff like that ,but they aren’t as obnoxious as , say, a spoiled hand raised pygmy goat. Sheep aren’t as sensitive to wind and weather as goats, so some breeds of sheep don’t need shelter( but mine hate the rain and prefer to spend all the rainy days in the shelter ).

I have only had experience with Barbados black belly sheep, which are more athletic and wilder than the fluffy kind.. The “wool” types probably make better pets. I think each breed probably has its own personality. With wooly ones, you gotta shear them each year, which is a pain. If you got a flock, it’s easy; you hire someone else to do it.

Sheep aren’t as dumb as people say they are. They can be very funny, playful and clever in their own way. They do get themselves into trouble however, and when they do, they are quiet about it! That is a problem if you have a large area they can get lost in. A goat will yell loudly for help if he gets stuck, so you can find him.

No, I have no plans to get another horse or pony, much as I’d love to. I have absolutely no free time to spend with them, so there would be no point.

Melody
      Keymaster

Phoenix wrote:

Aww. Poor pony Moon. Do you have pictures of your herd? I wanna see Moon!
        I can’t imagine having 39 critters. I feel overwhelmed with 9!

There are pictures of many of them on my facebook photo section.
        Do you know how to post images to this forum from facebook? I thought I knew how to do it, but it didn’t work.

Melody
        Keymaster

Phoenix wrote:

He’s awesome! I love seeing kids enjoy their ponies. Sadly, I’ll have to wait for grandkids. My kids missed the horse gene. Luckily I have enough for my whole family.
          I do take the ponies to the school for show and tell so the ponies don’t forget what their purpose on Earth is! It’s a ton of fun. πŸ˜€

Isn’t it weird when kids who CAN have horses aren’t interested? Man I would of given my left arm for a horse or pony when I was little.

Katherine
          Participant

Melody wrote:

Phoenix wrote:

He’s awesome! I love seeing kids enjoy their ponies. Sadly, I’ll have to wait for grandkids. My kids missed the horse gene. Luckily I have enough for my whole family.
            I do take the ponies to the school for show and tell so the ponies don’t forget what their purpose on Earth is! It’s a ton of fun. πŸ˜€

Isn’t it weird when kids who CAN have horses aren’t interested? Man I would of given my left arm for a horse or pony when I was little.

I know, right?

Lol, but having so many animals in california, that would have been a huge burden (as well as a joy).

I would have loved seeing you and the other animals march on towards the studio, what a sight!

Andrea
            Participant

Melody wrote:

Phoenix wrote:

Do you know how to post images to this forum from facebook? I thought I knew how to do it, but it didn’t work.

The only way I know how to post pictures is via Photobucket. I do have facebook, but really don’t see the use for it. I check it maybe every 6 months or if someone says “It’s on FB” πŸ˜€ Then I see all the messages posted to my page that are months old… Do they make a FB Trunk Monkey? πŸ˜†

Andrea
              Participant

eaglefeather831 wrote:

Melody wrote:

Phoenix wrote:

I know, right?

Lol, but having so many animals in california, that would have been a huge burden (as well as a joy).

I would have loved seeing you and the other animals march on towards the studio, what a sight!

Yep, 90% of the kids go crazy when we take the ponies to school. Mine don’t even want to ride (or help clean stalls!) πŸ˜€

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

……………………………………..tarantulas………… :puke:

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Adaneth
                  Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

But they’re cool! So hairy! πŸ˜†
                    What are their names, Melody? πŸ™‚

Katherine
                    Participant

Phoenix wrote:

Yep, 90% of the kids go crazy when we take the ponies to school. Mine don’t even want to ride (or help clean stalls!) πŸ˜€

I remember a pony coming to school once. A girl in my class, Missy, had the pony, and I remember going up to her and asking, “Is that your pony?” And with a snide comment replied, “Yeeaaaahhhhh…..” Like that was the most stupid question I could have asked her. It made me wonder whether or not she was happy to have it.

Melody
                      Keymaster

Adaneth wrote:

drag0nfeathers wrote:

But they’re cool! So hairy! πŸ˜†
                        What are their names, Melody? πŸ™‚ “Steptoe” and “Proudfoot”… or “Proudfeet” haven’t decided. Here is a pic of Steptoe-
                        ( I got it to work!!!!) πŸ˜€
                        The name “Willie” is crossed out on Steptoe’s house. She was my previous tarantula buddy.

Melody
                        Keymaster

Phoenix wrote:

Melody wrote:

Phoenix wrote:

The only way I know how to post pictures is via Photobucket. I do have facebook, but really don’t see the use for it. I check it maybe every 6 months or if someone says “It’s on FB” πŸ˜€ Then I see all the messages posted to my page that are months old… Do they make a FB Trunk Monkey? πŸ˜†I figured it out! πŸ˜€

Melody
                          Keymaster

This is one of my favorite ( old pic!) pics of my kids, Chessie and Griffin, Jackson the llama and me.

Melody
                            Keymaster

And here are my sheep. They are Barbados sheep, or, more correctly called “American black belly sheep” since true Barbados sheep don’t have horns. These are hair sheep that don’t need shearing.

This is Pokey the angora goat. She is the last one of our flock of 16…we are almost out of goats.

Andrea
                              Participant

OMG! Pokey is AWESOME!!! I do love goats. Mike says they don’t have purpose, therefore he doesn’t like them. But I would gladly have many goats!

We had a tarantula once. His name was Eric. All our temporary pets are named Eric. The mice we feed the snake… Eric. The turtle the crazy aunt gave the kids… Eric. Sometimes I call Frodo Eric! πŸ™„ πŸ˜€

Is the Angora goats hard to take care of Melody? Do you have to keep him groomed?

Adaneth
                                Participant

Love the Proudfoot/Proudfeet! Great name! πŸ˜†
                                  And thanks for the photo!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.