fbpx

What's anyone reading?

Home Forums Miscellany Community What's anyone reading?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

I’m on the hunt for a new fantasy series while I’m waiting on George Martin…Any recommendations?

I am reading my usual stuff, that everyone has read, I wish I could help, LOL. Stephen King, Piers Anthony and the odd other book here and there.

Pegasi1978
    Participant

asinnamon wrote:

I’m on the hunt for a new fantasy series while I’m waiting on George Martin…Any recommendations?

Well what sort of fantasy do you like? Sword and Sorcery, Sci-Fi, et cetera. What are some authors you have read and enjoyed. I’d hate to recommend something you didn’t like or had already read.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

I just read Dragon Champion and Dragon Avenger by E. E. Knight. It’s about dragons in the dragon’s point of view. I really liked them and await the next book, but be warned this is not a fluffy frilly magical sort of fantasy. It’s very ‘realistic’ and tells it the way it is with no glitter.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Jodi
        Participant

I got to meet E.E. Knight at a convention. Nice guy. I’m looking forward to reading his books.

Have you read the trilogy by Phillip Pullman that starts with The Golden Compass? I think it’s the His Dark Material Trilogy.

SPark
          Participant

I’m on a vampire kick right now, so I’m reading Saberhagen’s Dracula books again. They start with The Dracula Tapes, which is the same story as “Dracula” the original, except from the vampire’s point of view. And it’s funny because he points out all of the plot holes in the original book, and goes “See, that’s totally unrealistic, THIS is how it REALLY happened!” I crack up a lot reading it.

Oh, gosh, where to start….I have read Robert Jordan ofcourse, Michelle West, George Martin, some Marion Zimmer Bradely, The Hickman sisters Bronze Canticles 1 & 2, Anne Mccaffrey Pern up to The Masterharper of Pern(which I just can’t being myself to read because I love Robinton)…Um, some Kristin Britan, Anne Bishop, The Witches of Eileenan(can’t remember the authoress). The Rhapsody series, haven’t gotten to the Assasin King yet. I read The Daughter of the Forest and hated it…And ofcourse Mercedes Lackey. Loved her books with Andre Norton. Read The Belgariad & The Mallorean, read David MacFarlan…I read Jennifer Roberson’s Tiger & Del series and some of the Cheysuli…I think I read some Charles Dickson(??), not sure if that’s his name, about a couple seperatley getting “sent” to a different place and the man gets plunked into the body of a dragon, the woman falls into the wrong hands ofcourse…ther is a magician, a knight, a wolf, etc..invovled..

I LOVE George Martin, he isn’t fluffy at all…Michelle West is good, but gets long winded like R. Jordan….Anne Mccaffrey is ofcourse great, but she lacks the “adult” side of Fantasy I like(no real grit…) Oh, I don’t care for Tad Williams.

I like fantasy, magic, dragons, etc…I don’t a lite read every now and again, but do prefer books geared towrds adults instead of young adults….

Jodi
            Participant

I’m doing my master’s thesis on the concept of the Other in Science Fiction literature. The books I’m using for examples are “The Left Hand of Darkness” by Ursula K. LeGuin, “Ender’s Game” by Orson Scott Card, and “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” by Phillip K. Dick. All award-winning and really excellent books.

Pegasi1978
              Participant

See you just listed off half or what I would have recommeneded. “The Witches of Eileanan” series is by Kate Forsythe and she has started a second series set after the first 6 books. The first one of the new series is “The Tower of Ravens”.

You might like the Dragon Quartet by Marjorie B. Kellogg. The first book by itself is called “The Book of Earth”. It’s also available with the second book (“the book of water”) as “The Dragon Quartet Vol. 1”.

The sad thing is a lot of series and books I could recommend are going out of print now so I don’t know if you would be able to find them.

A good dragon author is Irene Radford and her Stargods, The Dragon Nimbus History, The Dragon Nimbus and Merlin’s Descendants series.

SPark
                Participant

Finding out of print books is easier than it used to be. Amazon really does have nearly everything.

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

Yep, but it can get pricey sometimes and it also depends on if someone is selling their copy and hoping it’s in decent condition.

alibris.com is also good for finding out of print books.

Elizabeth Kerner also has some good dragon books.
                    Jacqueline Carey’s Kushiel’s Dart trilogy is really good but there is a lot of sex and pain in it.
                    I forget if you mention the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind which is also really good (although I’m a couple of books behind.) Doranna Durgin also wrote some good books especially if you like horses.

Pegasi1978
                    Participant

ddvm wrote:

Doranna Durgin also wrote some good books especially if you like horses.

I loved “Touched by Magic” and “Dun Lady’s Jess”. I think they are out of print now. I wish she would write some more books (other than Star Trek) because I really enjoyed her.

I’m gonna look into the Dragon Quartet, thanks! Yup, I’ve got some Terry Brooks under my belt, as well as the Kushiel stuff….I have passed up the new Kate Forsyth for some reason, I dunno know why…These are all great suggestions! I have to go to Borders or B&N now, I’ve read most of the stuff our library has….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.