What is your preference on Copper Patina?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone What is your preference on Copper Patina?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Less patina and more purple with teal eyes! 🙂

Ditto. I like almost no patina. I like the coppery color with lots of violet.

This for me as well, though I’d add in that the airbrushed gold highlights that were added with a very light touch to accent the musculature on both my male (not from the current batch) and my lap really help to make the pieces shine.

I understand the patina idea is to make them look like actual weathered copper–but because of the lifelike qualities of the sculpts, it just doesn’t work for me that way. I can buy into the ivory scheme looking like a carving, or if you used the stone-like paint used on the gargoyles. For some reason, though, even the heavily patinated coppers don’t look like cast copper Windstones that have been out in the rain, they just look mildewed and dusty to me. I notice this especially on my male’s tail on the non display side, where the patina is heavier–I see it from across the room and it always looks dirty, even when freshly dusted.

That’s why it was so critical for me to get a lap from the last batch; the balance of colors felt “right” to me. With all the differences between batches, I was concerned that I might never get one with that blend at all from a future batch. Seeing the latest sculpts painted in this scheme, I’m glad I made the decision I did, because for the most part, they don’t do a thing for me. I do like the heavier antiquing though on some of the pieces we’ve seen.

Don’t get me wrong–I have plenty of weathered copper in my yard, so it’s not that I’m not a fan of the stuff in general. I just prefer a more newly minted copper look to these guys. In fact, I’d love a copper scheme (or a bronze scheme) with no patina at all.

Leigha
    Participant

I like the second OW down from the top. I love the red eyes, I love the patina freckles. I like patchy patina but not a lot of it. I like the individual random painted gold scales and light on the purple.

I don’t think he should have patina in his nostrils though, just makes him look snotty 😛

siberakh1
      Participant

Dragon #1 or #2 – The patina isn’t too overwhelming and there is antiquing, adding more depth. Teal or Red eyes, both work for me. I’m not sure how I feel about the teal pain dots on the scales of dragon #2 though.

Griffin Male – The antiquing just adds to it and makes it work that much better. It gives more depth to give that age/patina look.

If I wanted a dragon more on the patina green side, #3 is fine. The antiquing is there, so he’s just more of a green and goes with his teal eyes. I actually do like the look of #3. I actually like the OW this way, but for the emperor, I’d prefer something like #1 or #2, just because I like both looks and like the variety.

The lack of patina on dragon #4 and the griffin mother is unappealing to me. They both look too monotone from the lack of depth without the antiquing to bring out the details in the sculpt.

siberakh1
        Participant

I like extremely heavy patina (25-50%), very dark antiquing, and very little purple. Also, I like it when they copper used it the dark reddish copper (currently, we are using a lighter copper color)

Really? I thought it might just be lighting or the the lack of antiquing. I do like the dark reddish copper better. The heavy patina I like on some pieces, but others, lighter (the 3rd OW looks great, but if I were getting an emperor, I really like him as he is in the store photo… a good balance between a brown and a gold emperor. Depends on the piece for me I guess!).

Purplecat
          Participant

I like extremely heavy patina (25-50%), very dark antiquing, and very little purple. Also, I like it when they copper used it the dark reddish copper (currently, we are using a lighter copper color)

Sounds like you and I have similar taste…now that’s MY kind of copper patina!

PurpleTurtle
            Participant

I love the looks of the OW in the store now, but I still wish it was a little heavier on the teal antiquing. That’s what kept me from buying the coiled male in the store now. Not enough antiquing. Seems kinda flat without it. Still, if I could afford the OW now I would happily settle for the current version.

Lupuslunae
              Participant

Heavy to medium patina. While I don’t want the entire sculpt cover in patina, the more it is there, the richer the copper looks. /love patina!

Hmmm the patina looks good patchy in some places and more even in other places. I trust the painters to pick what looks best on specific sculpts.

I enjoy both the teal and red eyes and gems. I also like the different variations we’ve gotten of the copper color, the cooler copper and the reddish copper. The variations in the copper patina pieces make them one of my more interesting dragon families.

LOTS of purple! /HEART

Heavy antiquing too. I makes the copper richer, darker, and more lovely in my opinion.

I hope the copper patina OW come back in the store…but not too soon as I still have negative amount of munnies :((

Jinya
                Participant

Sounds like you and I have similar taste…now that’s MY kind of copper patina!

I totally agree with theses ladies! Teal eyes and gems too. I just don’t do red eyes.

Great idea to get everyone’s opinion Puff! Thank you!

windstonefan
                  Participant

Well I prefer number 3 with the most Patina color. Looks lovely when it kind of flows instead of patchy looking. I can”t post pictures but just got the Emperor from the store and these other CP’s all just recently.

Go here for pictures of the latest Copper Patinas
                    http://www.photoshop.com/users/windstonefan

windstonefan

dragonmedley
                    Participant

Well I prefer number 3 with the most Patina color. Looks lovely when it kind of flows instead of patchy looking. I can”t post pictures but just got the Emperor from the store and these other CP’s all just recently.

Ah, see, the emp doesn’t do it for me – the blue up the nose is a hoot, though!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Amy
                      Participant

1) Heavy patina
                        2) Evenly distributed on the piece
                        2) Teal eyes and gems
                        3) A medium amount of purple
                        4) Between light and medium, like the momma griffin and the 4th OW pic

Kelsey
                        Participant

I love the copper color with….
                          moderate patina
                          evenly distributed
                          teal eyes
                          a little purple
                          and heavily antiqued.
                          I think the male griffin looks the best!

Scathach
                          Participant

Oh, my what choices!

Your questions really made me think about this.

Well, My preferences are:
                            1. Moderate patina
                            2. Smoothly distributed in the “normal” wear pattern of aged copper
                            3. Teal eyes and gems
                            4. A little purple
                            5. Moderate antiquing

Dragon #1 overall first choice, #4 is a bit bright, like a newer penny. The patina is nice – so maybe antique a little more?

Thanks for asking!

PS If any one of the dragons ends up on my doorstep (including “Ol’ Red Eyes”) I would keep him, love him, and put him in a place of prominence! I think that ALL Windstones, no matter how great they look in pictures, look better in person.

Thank you Melody and Team for all the great art you have brought to us over the years. I hope to see many more years of great stuff.

Life is beautiful.

Purplecat
                            Participant

Ah, see, the emp doesn’t do it for me – the blue up the nose is a hoot, though!

I always knew that’s what dragon boogers looked like! ROFL

Lokie
                              Participant

1) Moderate patina
                                2) Evenly distributed patina with a few patches
                                2) Red eyes
                                3) I really don’t like the purple, so none or a minuscule amount
                                4) Heavy antiquing

And I prefer the reddish copper over the light copper

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.