fbpx

We're civilian again…. pg 21

Home Forums Miscellany Community We're civilian again…. pg 21

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 320 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

ddvm wrote:

Did you know that Edward is going to be in The Harlequin? I think it comes out June 5th. I was so excited – I’ve missed Edward. Romantic Times only gave the book 3 stars because they said there was too much action for the time it took – but all LKH’s books are like that so I’m not going to complain! 😆

Doranna Durgins Dun’s Lady Jess was one of those books I read and had to find everything else she wrote. She’s writing for Harlequin Romance now. I wish she could do more fantasy.

Ever try Dara Joy?

Yeah I did read that Edward’s supposed to be in Harlequin. Have you checked out the Anita Blake comic? It’s really cool and in July there’s supposed to be a “prequal” with Anita and Edward meeting! I’d love it if the Anita books had a little more “mystery” and less sex, but considering the root of Anita and Jean Claudes powers I don’t see that happening. It’s kind of sad to have a 1000 page book that doesn’t even last a week in story!

After I found Dun Lady’s Jess I went digging for her other books too. Too bad that most of them are “out of print” now. I think I got them all. I wish she would write some more. Does she use the same name for Harlequin Romance or a different pen name. Irene Radford writes some romance but under a different name that I don’t know what it is.

Dara Joy? What does she write? I’ve considered picking up Kim Harrison’s series, but haven’t “bit the bullet”. Probably will now that the husband is gone. Just have to limit it to one/two books a trip.

Great book list!
      For a really fun read try David Eddings (Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician’s Gambit, Castle of Wizardry, Enchanter’s Endgame)
      Also, I just started Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series and I’m really enjoying it (very different from Dresden files). Finally, Dragonriders of Pern(Anne McCaffrey) are always good to revisit!

Pegasi1978
      Participant

Thank you! I think part of why I’ve never picked up Eddings and McCaffrey is the size of the series. Most of the ones I have I caught as they were starting so it didn’t seem so bad. With those two they have been writing for a while so there’s a lot. I had a friend loan me a few McCaffery books and they seemed pretty good. I’m a nut for reading things in order so I’d have to find the list again of what order the Dragonrider series goes in. I’ve also heard semi-bad reviews of the books written by her son so I probably wouldn’t get those. I’ve got the first book of the Codex Alera, just haven’t read it yet. Probably will soon. I finished the other book I was reading this weekend.

Dragonriders: Dragonflight, Dragonquest, (then insert the Harperhall series if you want chronological continuity: Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums), The White Dragon. Well worth reading! But, if you haven’t read Eddings, I’d start there. Does your husband read fantasy/scifi? (Not that he’ll have a lot of down time.)

Pegasi1978
        Participant

boskydragon wrote:

Dragonriders: Dragonflight, Dragonquest, (then insert the Harperhall series if you want chronological continuity: Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums), The White Dragon. Well worth reading! But, if you haven’t read Eddings, I’d start there. Does your husband read fantasy/scifi? (Not that he’ll have a lot of down time.)

But what about all the one shot Pern books? I just checked her Web site and her chronological list that included all of those is gone now. Maybe someone else saved it elsewhere on the Web.

My husband and I read almost all of the same books. He got me started on Anita Blake! When he left he took the last the paperback Dresden Files with him. When White Night comes out in paperback I’ll probably send it to him. I’m not sending him the hardback – he rough on books when he’s home not to mention deployed! Depending on how much room he has to keep stuff in I’ll probably send him a book or two when he asks.

Oh and I just remembered another series that I need to add to the list. I forgot it because I’ve never read it and it’s Trade Paperback size rather than Mass Market so it sits on a shelf behind a bin of books for sale on amazon. The Sonja Blue Chronicles by Nancy A. Collins

Doranna Durgin writes romantic suspense I’d guess you call it under her own name.

I highly recommend the Kim Harrison series and the David Eddings as well. If you like romance/vampires J.R. Ward’s series is also great. I also really like Jacqueline Carey’s Kushiel trilogy. There is a lot of sex in it – definitely Rated R or X! I haven’t gotten to the first book in the new trilogy yet and the second is coming out.

Too many books – not enough time!

Quote:

But what about all the one shot Pern books? I just checked her Web site and her chronological list that included all of those is gone now. Maybe someone else saved it elsewhere on the Web.

Even with all the others, it’s best to start with the 6 I listed, though some occur earlier, these are the first written and the best (and you don’t lose anything by going back and reading the prequels later, as they are completely different people, and not always as good as the 1st two trilogies).

Elena
          Participant

boskydragon wrote:

Quote:

Even with all the others, it’s best to start with the 6 I listed, though some occur earlier, these are the first written and the best (and you don’t lose anything by going back and reading the prequels later, as they are completely different people, and not always as good as the 1st two trilogies).

bosky’s right. I have all the pern books and even McCaffery advises that you read them in Published order. If you want to do Chronological here’s the list

– DragonsDawn
            – DragonsEye (Red Star Rising)
            – Dragon’s Kin (w/Todd McCaffery)
            – Dragon’s Fire (Todd McCaffery)
            – Dragon’s Blood (Todd McCaffery)
            – Moreta: Dragon Lady of Pern
            – Nerilka’s Story
            – Dragon Flight
            – Dragon Quest
            – Dragon Song
            – Dragon Singer
            – Dragon Drums
            – The White Dragon
            – The Renegades of Pern
            – All the Weyrs of Pern
            – The Master Harper of Pern (covers from Pre Dragon Flight to All the Weyrs)
            – The Dolphins of Pern
            – The Skies of Pern

She’s also done a bunch od stand alone short stories that as long as you know Pern you can read them!

Also, Jody Lyn Nye did 2 Pern Novels in the mid 80’s
            -DragonFire
            -DragonHarper
            But I’ve had no luck tracking thm down yet!

lamortefille
            Participant

foxfeather wrote:

-DragonFire
              -DragonHarper

http://www.abebooks.com/ has both of those, but I don’t know what kind of edition/condition you are looking for. The search engine is fussy – her name must be spelled Lynn? Hope this helps: -)

Lupin
              Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

Oh and I just remembered another series that I need to add to the list. I forgot it because I’ve never read it and it’s Trade Paperback size rather than Mass Market so it sits on a shelf behind a bin of books for sale on amazon. The Sonja Blue Chronicles by Nancy A. Collins

I have to say I LOVE <3<3<3<3 this series myself!! But just a heads up there’s a “Stand Alone” Blue novel called a Dozen Black Roses, and I believe a few others which are also along those lines, but are published by the RPG publisher WhiteWolf. They’re slightly different, but still clearly Blues. I got the main trillogy in hard cover well over a decade ago. And still find myself reading it atleast once a year. 😯

Pegasi1978
                Participant

Lupin wrote:

pegasi1978 wrote:

I have to say I LOVE <3<3<3<3 this series myself!! But just a heads up there’s a “Stand Alone” Blue novel called a Dozen Black Roses, and I believe a few others which are also along those lines, but are published by the RPG publisher WhiteWolf. They’re slightly different, but still clearly Blues. I got the main trillogy in hard cover well over a decade ago. And still find myself reading it at least once a year. 😯

We’ve had to pick up the reprints that White Wolf has done of the series. Still have a few to get. I found a list of her books and it lists that one. Some one loaned the SciFi book club version to my husband when he was in high school/early college years and he loved it. Unfortunately he was never able to find his own copy until now. Heck for the longest time he all he could remember was Sonja Blue Chronicles. I had to do a web search to find out the author’s name and the book titles. I’m going to do my best to pick up the ones we are missing before he gets home. It looks like we are only missing Cold Turkey (a novella), A Dozen Black Roses and Darkest Heart so that’s not too bad.

Elena
                  Participant

lamortefille wrote:

foxfeather wrote:

-DragonFire
                    -DragonHarper

http://www.abebooks.com/ has both of those, but I don’t know what kind of edition/condition you are looking for. The search engine is fussy – her name must be spelled Lynn? Hope this helps: -)

Thanks I’ll check it out!!

Lupin
                    Participant

Check out the Sci-Fi book Club, that’s where I got my first intro, and they’re not that bad for a book club. My mom is incredibly leary about any of those “Clubs” but even she didn’t mind them!!

http://www.sfbc.com/doc/club_url/club_url.jhtml;jsessionid=MQB0OWUMFKUJMCTI4EKCFFQ?_requestid=114139

I’m planning on getting myself hooked up again soon, they really don’t bother with you once you’ve bought that last book unless you harass them into sending you more stuff!! 😯

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

Well I need some advice now and since it’s related to my husband I figured I’d keep it here rather than starting a new thread.

I got a call from his brother this afternoon letting me know that they had to put one of the family dog’s to sleep this afternoon. Sam was a brindled Boxer who was almost 10 years old. Sam and my husband were the best of buddies, even after he joined the Army and moved out. Sam always recognized us when we came to visit. Sam had been in ailing health recently and when we were on leave my husband knew it was more than likely going to be the last time he would see Sam. The photo below was taken in January 2006.

My question is do I send him and e-mail or wait until I get to talk to him via phone/IM.

Lupin
                        Participant

Ohh that’s a tuffy, I know I’ld want to know as soon as possible, and if the call is only hours away I’ld want to be told that way, but if it’s even 12 hours I’ld want to know sooner.
                          Some people may say it’s stupid but if Sam meant even half as much to him as my Big Cat meant to me, he’s going to need some down time. They’re not just Pets they are family!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 320 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.