fbpx

Web hosting

Home Forums Miscellany Community Web hosting

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Arlla
    Participant

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
      -J R R Tolkien

Arlla
      Participant

Hey guys!
        I want to set up a website for myself, and I’m looking for recomendations on webhosting. I’m not skilled enough to do anything fancy, I just want somewhere to advertise myself a little and post lots of pictures. The last time I did research on potential hosters, I think I decided on BlueHost. Let me know what you guys think!

-J R R Tolkien

I have my own site on http://www.freewebs.com but I have no idea how to make a gallery in html…

Susan
        Participant

I’ve been very please with the different packages of http://www.dreamhost.com.

I have Yahoo! (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php) and they’ve been great. Never had any problems and their templates/file managers are easy to navigate. πŸ™‚

SPark
          Participant

I’m with serverpro through topcities. (Mostly because although going direct to serverpro might be a touch cheaper, topcities has an eaiser interface to use.)

I started out on the topcities free program, which has PLENTY of space, but which has a banner ad and limited bandwidth. I eventually ran the bandwidth out, but only because I have an extensive gallery and lots of traffic there. Now I’ve got the $6 a month version, which has no banners by my own, and which I’ve never come anywhere near the bandwidth ceiling on.

They’ve been very reliable, only down about half a dozen times in the more than five years I’ve been with them, and their support staff are friendly and helpful, though the support forum system doesn’t work at all, it’s been broken for ages.

Anyhow, there are lots of good hosting places out there, but I’ve been quite happy with them.

I’ve been using canaca.com as my host for my domain and i’ve been very satisfied in the year and a half i’ve been with them ^_^ They are based in Canada which is good for me so that i can go down and kick them if they ever misbehaved πŸ˜‰ I get 10GB of space for about 5 bucks a month, plus i think it’s 20 bucks a year for my .ca domain ^_^

Anonymous

No love for the new server? 8)

SPark
              Participant

Well, I didn’t know you offered web space for individuals as well as companies. *grins*

Though honestly I wouldn’t want to move, it’d be a pain. Plus I NEED an interface that lets me directly edit my own stuff, upload, manage, all that without having to contact somebody else. And of course would prefer to not need to download or learn anything new. I’m lazy like that.

As I’ve got all that just now with a reliable company that’s been stable well over 5 years, why move?

Anonymous

Would never even ask you to move.. just sticking my head in since I saw the magic words “web hosting”

Yes, I do personal hosting, the focus is personal, hobbyist, small based commerical. I will not take on a company that requires mission-critical uptime, and I do not do dedicated servers — yet. The software I”m looking at to manage them very, very, very easily is very, very, very pricey.

As we grow, our traffic rates get cheaper, but obviously I could never compete with someone like Dreamhost on prices. I actually just dropped a client and he went there because that’s what he’s interested in — price.

I’m here for the value added component. Year after year this business turns less of a hobby and more into my retirement fund, so the clients are treated as such — custom scripting is done, out of the way things you’d never get from a cookie cutter host.

There are pros and cons to both, and there are people who are willing to pay more for service they need, and there are those who simply don’t need the services that I offer, plain and simple.

I try to keep it as easy as possible for clients, the configuration interface we are using is Plesk, and the only thing I get complaints on is where to find web statstics. Setting up the space, emails, etc. seems to go over no problem.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread — and I would never be hurt for someone choosing a cheaper solution than me, people do it all the time, but I’ll only say one thing — to date, two clients have left me since 2003 — one wanted cheap, so I asked him to leave, and the other had a baby and couldn’t afford web hosting of any knid anymore.

The biggest thing is the root of the creation … every client is either a Dodge Neon driver, or part maker/vendor, or runs part of neons.org, or is a windstone collector. I know every client personally, and I like it that way.

Ok.. I’ll stop rambling now πŸ˜€

Arlla
                  Participant

So, Snap, being a complete noob when it comes to websites, what services DO you offer that others don’t, and what kind of price are we talking??

-J R R Tolkien

Patricia
                    Participant

Arlla wrote:

So, Snap, being a complete noob when it comes to websites, what services DO you offer that others don’t, and what kind of price are we talking??

I’d be interested in hearing about that as well. I’m thinking of setting up a website too sometime.

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

Anonymous

Many hosting companies will use software like Plesk, Ensim, Cpanel, etc. and will have their automated site managers where you go in, buy your packages, get your wonky login name, and away you go.

The majority also have application managers that will let you install forums, galleries, etc. They are all automated and don’t allow for any customization against the install.

What I will do differently is work with clients to customize their installs, like we did with Windstone. We’ll change code, move things around, create symbolic links for rerouting — we’ll actually go to the old hosted site and mirror the entire thing too and make sure relevant pathing is updated so that it actually works. We’ll do things at the shell level that you wouldn’t normally be able to do (unless you were paying for a shell account, and most hosts don’t even allow those because of the inherit risk on shared virtual host machines).

Things like that.

I try to be different in the way I operate is what it comes down to. For example, we have a ticket system in the control panel, which communicates directly to my Blackberry. Having trouble with something? Got a question? Open a ticket. 2 seconds later it’s on my belt, and if I’m in front a computer somewhere (oh when am I not? When I’m in bed.. that’s about it πŸ˜€ ), I pop in and check things out.

I’m also involved in quite a few of the forums actual management as well. I like to be part of the communities. Again, it goes full circle back to the original purpose, that this began as a hobby and a place for me and my friends to be able to serve their sites in a useful manner. I still don’t make a profit on it, and since I have an adversion to growing fast, I don’t know if we ever will — because as I mentioned before, if I don’t have some kind of connection to the client, they generally don’t host here.

Summary: I like to be your friend, and help you like a friend does, not treat you like a customer in line.

What I don’t do: DESIGN. Physical hosting and security only.

That’s real cool Snap! ^_^ If i ever want to make more complicated sites than the ones i have right now, i know where i’ll go ^_^ Having customizable service and clear one-on-one workings is really important!

And hey, if you ever want to recruit a designer as needed for a client’s website, i’m at your disposal πŸ˜‰

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.