fbpx

weather

Home Forums Miscellany Community weather

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

3 feet of new snow last night and we wake up to -19 F this morning with the wind howling like a banshee. School for the boys doesn’t cancelled until the temp reaches -20F. I was really tempted to keep ’em home and avoid all the “it’s not fair” grembling, “it’s -19F! What’s one lousy degree for heavens sake! ๐Ÿ˜ก ” But I shoved ’em out the door and told ’em to make the best of it. If the heat goes out at school, then I’ll come get ’em. If not, then be men and suck it up! *I’m such a mean, terrible, awful, horrible, despicable mum…* ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜› I just told ’em “that’s my job!”

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ˜€

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

tdm

Pegasi1978
        Participant

I’m getting tired of this artic weather that’s settled across most of the nation. Today is the warmest we have been all week. At least there only seem to be a few more days left of the artic weather before we are back to the normal temperatures.

When it’s as cold as it has been at night (this past week we’ve had low to mid 20s) we let Gavin sleep in our room because his room gets so cold. Due to having two large windows, his room is easily 5-10 degrees colder than the rest of the house. A heating blanket will only do so much and we’re not quite ready to trust him with a space heater yet.

Jennifer
          Keymaster

What do you folks to do save on heating costs when it’s really cold out?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Purplecat
            Participant

before we replaced the upstairs windows…we had to plastic them in winter. We take out and store all air conditioners, so they dont allow additional drafts in. we also just bundle up, keeping the house at around 69 degrees, rather than the mid 70s that most people we know maintain.

Jasmine
              Participant

It’s freakin’ cold. That’s all I have to say. ๐Ÿ˜ก

Pegasi1978
                Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Since we don’t have a fire place, there isn’t much that we can do. Since we got the heating blanket for Gavin’s bed, we were able to turn the house temp down a degree, but that won’t make much of a difference. I’m considering looking into getting him so of those draft-blocking drapes I’ve seen since right now all he has are blinds and a single layer of gingham fabric for drapes.

hmmmmm… should i not mention that its oh…. 70ยฐ and sunny today? Just like it was all week.. and next week? ๐Ÿ˜† sry, i love my so-cal weather in january ๐Ÿ˜€

twindragonsmum wrote:

3 feet of new snow last night and we wake up to -19 F this morning with the wind howling like a banshee. School for the boys doesn’t cancelled until the temp reaches -20F. I was really tempted to keep ’em home and avoid all the “it’s not fair” grembling, “it’s 19F! What’s one lousy degree for heavens sake! ๐Ÿ˜ก ” But I shoved ’em out the door and told ’em to make the best of it. If the heat goes out at school, then I’ll come get ’em. If not, then be men and suck it up! *I’m such a mean, terrible, awful, horrible, despicable mum…* ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜› I just told ’em “that’s my job!”

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ˜€

Schools here never close… doesnt matter how cold it it, they just dont have outdoor recesses after -20 (-4f), but if they closed at -29(-19f) then they would be closed most of the winter most years ๐Ÿ˜† .

But it is good to know where all our snow went this year because we have hardly any at all!!

LadyFirebird
                  Participant

Jennifer wrote:

We had this house insulated roof and walls when we first moved in and just over 10 years ago, we hadouble pane windows put in. I keep the thermostate at 68 to 69 sometimes 70 if I really feel cold. Knock on wood, I haven’t seen my heating bill go past $200 a month [1600 sq ft]–not yet anyway! ๐Ÿ™‚

And to add to our climate out here, we had a slight earthquake this morning. I call it a jolter–felt more like a huge truck went by but it was a wake up call for anyone who lives in California!!! 8)

LadyFirebird wrote:

And to add to our climate out here, we had a slight earthquake this morning. I call it a jolter–felt more like a huge truck went by but it was a wake up call for anyone who lives in California!!! 8)

we did? where at?

LadyFirebird
                    Participant

daydreamer wrote:

LadyFirebird wrote:

we did? where at?

It was near Milpitas which is just North of San Jose–50 miles South of San Francisco. A 2.3 or something like that–not sure which fault–there are various ones in this area. If you’re in So. California–you wouldn’t feel it. In fact, if I wasn’t sitting down and was walking around, I probably wouldn’t feel it as well. Checked online for recent earthquakes and yep, saw it there in red just before 11AM.

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

We have mad insulation in the walls and attic of course. Our windows are newer double-paned that are supposed to be.. um. Argon? Argon-nitorgen? It’s hard to say. The sellers wrote it as part of the house agreement so lets hope they were honest! We also caulk all the doorways and windows in the winter to make sure there is no draft. We keep the house at about 52ยฐ; my indoor winter wear usually is a sweater and a goofy looking flannel jacket on top. Our bed has about a billion blankets on it which is fine with me, I like the weight, but because the bedroom is furthest from the stove sometimes it gets down to 49ยฐ in there. 2048 sq. feet of house thereabouts to heat (that’s with the finished basement) and our coal runs us about $1,000 for a season, give or take, so if you spread it out that’s between $150-170/month. Our gas forced air furnace is straight from 1963 and is about as efficient as blowing the flame right out the chimney; the prior owners showed us their gas bills for the winter and no thanks.. $500+/month! So the gas heater is emergency backup only.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

We have a 102 yr old house. Not enough money to insulate the whole thing. Old windows that are leaky and single paned (Probably still leaded to top it off.). Our bill can run up to $300. Scott likes to keep it at 70 degrees, but I cranked it down to 65 this year and said “Wear more clothes!”. So far it has kept our bill below $200 this year! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                        House plants need 55 and above, the fish tank has a heater, and we have tons of blankets. I plastic the windows each year I’ve been here. Also, our furnace is so freaking old! It’s a Chrystler furnace…Not even sure how old that makes it, since I only know of cars they make now. ๐Ÿ˜• Sounds like an 18 wheeler when it starts up!
                        BRRR ITS COLD HERE! ๐Ÿ˜› :shout:

Maria
                        Participant

I’ve been grumbling about the snow that just won’t go away around here, but after reading this thread I fell better. Our temperatures are a few degrees below freezing; I’m hoping for rain next week to melt the snow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.