fbpx

USPS is BOGUS!!! A little rant

Home Forums Miscellany Community USPS is BOGUS!!! A little rant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I got upset, by the fact that I pay $.65 for a tracking number yet, they never scan it on its route so I sent the US post office this…

Why do I have to pay $.65 for delivery confirmation when the post offices on its route NEVER scan them? My postmistress is wonderful! She scans it all, she does a great job, she is caring and very friendly. She TAKES time to be this way. Why if she can do all this, can’t anyone at other facilities ever do it? Some of them never come out of the back rooms, I know this, so what makes it so hard for them to scan a simple barcode? Women do it every day at Walmart…ALL day. I hate to sound like a bitch, but come on! We pay more every year for stamps, I know the internet has most certainly taken alot of your business, but you charge more, adn the workers do less. I know that this letter probably won’t do a thing, but I think it would be nice, if we did get what we pay for….SERVICE!

Sincerely,
    Jennifer Byrne

This was the reply I recieved…

Dear JENNIFER BYRNE,

Thank you for contacting us about wanting to know why you have to pay for delivery confirmation and the item is not being scanned.

Delivery Confirmation purchased online does not require an additional scan by the Post Office or Carrier. Information for the item is electronically.

* Delivery status information includes information about the date and time of delivery or attempted delivery.
    * Electronic price Delivery Confirmation (including Click-N-Ship®) may (but is not required to) include the date and time of when it was picked up or accepted for shipment.
    * Retail price Delivery Confirmation that is brought into the Post Office™ for mailing will include an acceptance scan.
    * It does not include tracking of the package enroute.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service®.

Regards,

Melitta R

Why is it, FedEx and UPS can scan things for a tracking number, but the USPS cannot? I think I might have to choose to start running 15 miles to send stuff just so I can use the service I pay for at UPS. 👿

WindstoneCollector wrote:

I got upset, by the fact that I pay $.65 for a tracking number yet, they never scan it on its route so I sent the US post office this…

The delivery confirmation number simply isn’t a tracking number. It’s purely a way to get some acknowledgment that a package has been delivered. Assuming it ever does get delivered. On the free electronic version, often the first time the package gets scanned is when it gets delivered.

The only way to get an actual tracking number when sending something through the Post Office is if you send it Express Mail (or Priority International).

For the Post Office to do serious tracking the way UPS and others do, we’d have to be paying a lot more than we are doing. Anything sent by UPS usually starts at around $8.00, because they pay people to scan everything. They have to pay a LOT of people to scan stuff.

But you can send something through the Post Office for $0.42. Even a book can be sent via the Post Office, with Delivery Confirmation, for under $2.00, Because they don’t employ people to log in every item at every point on the journey.

If you are sending something that needs to be tracked, you simply have to pay the price and use Express mail or a parcel carrier.

I buy a lot of books, CDs, and other cheap stuff, and have the packages shipped to me using cheap USPS mail. Every now and then (quite often, actually) something never gets here, so I am out the cost and shipping for that item. Yet by using the Post Office and cheap mail, instead of UPS or FedEx, I save FAR more money, in the long run, than I lose. I mean, I could lose one in 5 items and still come out ahead, when the actual loss rate is more like only one in 25.

When I buy something more expensive, or less easily replaceable, I ask for it to be shipped fully tracked, if possible, and pay the extra shipping.

Stephanie
    Participant

But that number is VERY NICE to have… so if the package doesn’t get delieved, the post office can see where in the hell it is at. I have already had that happen and after I went to my post office with the confirmation number that was givin to me by the company that shipped my order… within a few days My Package showed up to my house. Without that number I would have been out $57.00 and my 3 T-shirts that I ordered!

Sooo those little numbers do come in handy! 😉

I don’t think that their web site shows “everything”.

The company that shipped it checked the number and the site said that it had been delieved… WHEN the post office ran the number it was scanned as delieved THEN MIS-SENT…. uh huh.

I find that weird. BUT without that confirmation number, I bet I would NOT have recieved my T-shirts.

I’m in that boat, kinda…

Colin bought something from the store on the 17th for my birthday. We knew it wouldn’t be in by that date. Tracking number said it was in customs, etc, and when it entered Canada we used Canada Post tracking. Since USPS doesn’t continue to track after it leaves the country.

Anyway, yesterday it said there was an attempted delivery at about 3:30pm. We were home at this time, by the way, and they said that they left a notice card.

We were not buzzed to come down to pick up the package, I don’t think they even came up to the building, and they didn’t leave the damn notice card. Which is why I think they never tried. So now I have to rely on tracking number.

It said that it’s been in the post office since yesterday, and the last delivery is at 5pm to the post office, and as of today at 6pm, it’s still not there.

I hate Canada Post, I dislike USPS but have no particular feelings of wanting to kill them.

That and a package I tried to ship, the day before it was $40-ish for the expresspost, which takes max 5 days to ship to the states, and then the day I go to ship it out (I never repackaged or anything) they tell me if I want to ship expresspost it will cost me $65. That’s a rather large difference over one day. The lady brought it up to the point of purchase the day before to make sure it was right. Since the person had paid for the shipping already, I sent it regular parcel, which went for the same price that I had been quoted expresspost the day before.

Bah. Stupid mailservice having a stupid monopoly.

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“]

The delivery confirmation number simply isn’t a tracking number. It’s purely a way to get some acknowledgment that a package has been delivered. Assuming it ever does get delivered. On the free electronic version, often the first time the package gets scanned is when it gets delivered.

The only way to get an actual tracking number when sending something through the Post Office is if you send it Express Mail (or Priority International).

For the Post Office to do serious tracking the way UPS and others do, we’d have to be paying a lot more than we are doing. Anything sent by UPS usually starts at around $8.00, because they pay people to scan everything. They have to pay a LOT of people to scan stuff.

But you can send something through the Post Office for $0.42. Even a book can be sent via the Post Office, with Delivery Confirmation, for under $2.00, Because they don’t employ people to log in every item at every point on the journey.

If you are sending something that needs to be tracked, you simply have to pay the price and use Express mail or a parcel carrier.

I buy a lot of books, CDs, and other cheap stuff, and have the packages shipped to me using cheap USPS mail. Every now and then (quite often, actually) something never gets here, so I am out the cost and shipping for that item. Yet by using the Post Office and cheap mail, instead of UPS or FedEx, I save FAR more money, in the long run, than I lose. I mean, I could lose one in 5 items and still come out ahead, when the actual loss rate is more like only one in 25.

When I buy something more expensive, or less easily replaceable, I ask for it to be shipped fully tracked, if possible, and pay the extra shipping.+

Thanks Dave…

Stephanie
      Participant

But how hard is it to scan stuff? The post office doesn’t need extra people to do that or pay them more for it either. Jeez….

Last I checked, I could recieve a package for less going with UPS than USPS anyway, and have a number they scan (Isn’t UPS cheaper anyway since Windstone sent the SK’s only with UPS because USPS was so friggin’ high? 😛 ). (FedEx is higher than USPS I think though, But I don’t use them on a regular basis cuz I dont have one close by.)I just can’t have it delivered here by UPS or FedEX cuz I live by a bunch of CRACKHEADS!!! 👿 😆 😆

Dragon87 wrote:

I’m in that boat, kinda…

Colin bought something from the store on the 17th for my birthday. We knew it wouldn’t be in by that date. Tracking number said it was in customs, etc, and when it entered Canada we used Canada Post tracking. Since USPS doesn’t continue to track after it leaves the country.

Anyway, yesterday it said there was an attempted delivery at about 3:30pm. We were home at this time, by the way, and they said that they left a notice card.

We were not buzzed to come down to pick up the package, I don’t think they even came up to the building, and they didn’t leave the damn notice card. Which is why I think they never tried. So now I have to rely on tracking number.

It said that it’s been in the post office since yesterday, and the last delivery is at 5pm to the post office, and as of today at 6pm, it’s still not there.

I hate Canada Post, I dislike USPS but have no particular feelings of wanting to kill them.

That and a package I tried to ship, the day before it was $40-ish for the expresspost, which takes max 5 days to ship to the states, and then the day I go to ship it out (I never repackaged or anything) they tell me if I want to ship expresspost it will cost me $65. That’s a rather large difference over one day. The lady brought it up to the point of purchase the day before to make sure it was right. Since the person had paid for the shipping already, I sent it regular parcel, which went for the same price that I had been quoted expresspost the day before.

Bah. Stupid mailservice having a stupid monopoly.

I am not sure…Did it sound like I wanted to kill them? 😯 I didn’t mean I wanted to kill them. I just want them to be better at what they do. 😕

I am not sure…Did it sound like I wanted to kill them? 😯 I didn’t mean I wanted to kill them. I just want them to be better at what they do. 😕

No but I’m kinda wanting to kill the package delivery person. Would never do it, but I at least want to yell at him. Kinda a term of speech I would never actually kill anyone!!! Nor is there anyone that in reality I want to kill but I want that postman to feel sorry that he never delivered stuff when I was there.

In short I was referring to me not you!

I personally, being in Canada, will NEVER use UPS on purpose, they may LOOK cheaper, but their brokerage fees and crap will KILL you.

What do you mean how hard is it to scan something???

Everything goes to a distribution center, it gets sorted by city, the bins go to that city, then it gets sorted by area. They do not take each piece of mail out to scan it at the city, or every stop in between, that is foolish. First off the the amount of time that would take, remember that it would mean re-sorting through already sorted mail, including every letter, at each stop??? Then the cost on top would be crazy, having to add that much man power. Think about hw many letters UPS has compared to USPS.

Dragon87 are you sure they attempted delivery to the right address? Especially if you live in an apartment? I only ask because this happened to me, but they were buzzing 301 not 103, and guess who got the delivery notice?? I am thankful that they ID’ed the person from 301 that tried to pick up my dragon.

Skigod377
        Participant

Yeah… sorry. I know it sucks, but thats why its not called ‘tracking’ but ‘delivery confirmation.’ They make that really clear over here when you ask for tracking and they say “do you mean delivery confirmation?” Its annoying, but for $.65, what can you expect? 🙂

Pegasi1978
          Participant

UPS and Fedex are more expensive than USPS due to a federal mandate that tries to keep USPS in business. At least that’s what I think my ex-boyfriend’s father who works for UPS said.

ruffian wrote:

Dragon87 are you sure they attempted delivery to the right address? Especially if you live in an apartment? I only ask because this happened to me, but they were buzzing 301 not 103, and guess who got the delivery notice?? I am thankful that they ID’ed the person from 301 that tried to pick up my dragon.

Well the packages all say 68C on it, so unless he messed up 3 times in a row, I think it’s he’s just not delivering at all. Canada Post people think that it’s because there isn’t a buzzer number on it (it’s not the same as the apartment number) so basically they are saying that their employees are too lazy to look at the buzzer list right beside the intercom thing. 🙄 And I usually get the delivery notice. 4 days later. 👿 After I already picked up the package. And they usually have tracking numbers so if they said that it was delivered then I would complain and say that it wasn’t.

2 of these three packages, by the way, are actually from the store here. One was two PYO griffs I got a while back, and the other is my birthday present from Colin. The other one was from ebay, something I bought for my roomie for his birthday. They sent that one to a post office 20mins away. When you have to pass two different ones to get to that post office, then… ah. I’m just growly with Canada Post. They also squished the griffin box, good thing that the Windstone staff pack their things well 🙄

pegasi1978 wrote:

UPS and Fedex are more expensive than USPS due to a federal mandate that tries to keep USPS in business. At least that’s what I think my ex-boyfriend’s father who works for UPS said.

Yes, this is the case. You could not legally set up a delivery company that competes with the USPS unless you charge a lot more than the USPS. This is an article on the subject

But the minimum cost of sending something is just that – the minimum cost. The incremental cost for larger or heavier packages is less with the package carriers than with the USPS. At least for domestic delivery. The break-even point (same price for USPS as UPS) is actually only a few pounds, usually. On Windstones, once you get out of the Fledgling Dragon size, USPS is no-longer the cheaper method. That, coupled with the lack of tracking, means fewer and fewer people use the Post Office to send more than just an occasional, small, package.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.