fbpx

Two Legged Dragons in 99% of Movies. What's Up With That?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Two Legged Dragons in 99% of Movies. What's Up With That?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

I like both version (2 legs and wings, but also with 4 legs and wings) although I mostly prefer 4 legs and wings. They have to be well designed and the figure must look harmonious, then both versions work for me, I guess ๐Ÿ™‚
      Draco from Dragonheart is definitely in my top ten but I must confess one of my absolute top favorite dragons so far is Toothless from the “how to train your dragon” movie. He is cute but also fierce and I just LOVE his design. This movie (and the series) is a great example of how both leg/wing-Version can work and still look good and somewhat believable, I think. ๐Ÿ™‚ The variety of dragons they have there astounds me every time. Canยดt wait for the next movie!

I love Toothless, but I really hate the other stupid looking dragons in that story…they are an insult to dragon kind.

Agreed – and I didn’t like most of the humans either. It seemed as though they told 12 different people “Draw a dragon … OK, now draw a kid” and combined the results into a visual mish-mash with no unity at all. I know that a lot of people love this movie, but I found it almost unwatchable.

chibishiro12
      Participant

I like dragons with four legs and NO wings… do those have a special name?

Normally, I think of those as the Asian dragons. Traditional Asian dragons don’t have wings, and even if they do they are vestigial. European dragons tend to have four legs and wings.

Looking for-
        red fire young dragon
        old animal line frog, wolf, barn owl, tortoise, tiger cub

Dragoneer_88
        Participant

I have to agree about the HTTYD movie. Toothless looks okay, but the rest look like they were conceived by children then somewhat refined by the animators. It is technically a kids movie though. :p I must admit I didn’t like the plot. Still, I want to see the second movie when it’s out on DVD.

About filmmakers and believable Earth biology with mythical/magic creatures…it seems strange (to me personally) to make mythical/magic creatures believable for Earth-based plots. It’s fine for other world based plots, but I don’t want to see believable creatures in Earth based movies. I’d go outside for that. Uh, maybe I’m just weird. :/ True, a Pegasus would just look weird with two legs/two wings, but wouldn’t that be closer to believability based on Earth biology? I don’t see much variation or believability with oriental dragons either. However, I can definitely appreciate the time they put into believability. That being said, I do love all dragons and I’m fine with the two legged dragons (or wyverns). I just have a preference for the four legged/two winged ones. Maybe the mythical/magical creatures of Earth could be from another dimension. IDK :bigsmile:

I love how Anne McAffrey’s made her own universe to explain four legged dragons. Love to see movies made from Anne’s and Naomi’s books, but I’m also afraid they might ruin them too, like they did with Eragon. Everyone made valid points about how current Earth biology wouldn’t necessarily support a vertebrate with six limbs. Though, that dracolizard Melody posted a link to looks pretty cool. The closest thing to a real Earth dragon.

Yeah, I think I’ve heard of four legs/no wings dragons called Drakes too…or Orientals. XD I’d like to see a four legged western dragon sculpt done with no wings. Not for necessarily for production, but just to see. Though, if it was put into very limited production, I’d likely buy one. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anyway, this is a fun topic to discuss!

Ela_Hara
          Participant

Which spawns another point. People always wonder why I collect dragons. Dragonheart is why. When I look at them, I don’t see evil creatures. I see the noble dragon, Draco. Another reason I love the Windstone dragons I have. They don’t look evil.

Anyone else feel that way?

Hee Hee!
            Then the guote within my deviantArt and Windstone Forum signatures should be VERY familar to you, Dragoneer_88!

And yes, I agree with you. Technically, at least it’s my understanding, two legged ‘Dragons’ are not Dragons, but are Wyverns. I like the Western style dragons best myself. However, Melody’s Orientals could change my mind at times – especially the Moon Dragon ๐Ÿ˜€

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

I like dragons with four legs and NO wings… do those have a special name?

ya, bearded dragons and horned lizards/ ๐Ÿ™‚

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
            www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
            Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

…. I’d like to see a four legged western dragon sculpt done with no wings. Not for necessarily for production, but just to see….

that would be fun to try and make out of sculpy!

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
            www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
            Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

I’m with dragonmedley, I always thought of dragons with two legs and wings as a “wyvern” vs one with 4 legs and wings a traditional (in my mind) “dragon”. That’s probably because of me playing Magic the Gathering though throughout my childhood… I think it brainwashed me a little bit.

It’s very interesting though all the points made about 4 legged vs 6 legged animals. I never really thought too deep about that, but thats actually really interesting little factoid I never even noticed.

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

I like both version (2 legs and wings, but also with 4 legs and wings) although I mostly prefer 4 legs and wings. They have to be well designed and the figure must look harmonious, then both versions work for me, I guess ๐Ÿ™‚
                Draco from Dragonheart is definitely in my top ten but I must confess one of my absolute top favorite dragons so far is Toothless from the “how to train your dragon” movie. He is cute but also fierce and I just LOVE his design. This movie (and the series) is a great example of how both leg/wing-Version can work and still look good and somewhat believable, I think. ๐Ÿ™‚ The variety of dragons they have there astounds me every time. Canยดt wait for the next movie!

I love Toothless, but I really hate the other stupid looking dragons in that story…they are an insult to dragon kind.

I am dying to see the new movie as well. Toothless is freaking adorable… for some reason, maybe it’s his mannerisms, but he really reminds me of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

Got a busted Windstone?
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Heather
                Participant

I am dying to see the new movie as well. Toothless is freaking adorable… for some reason, maybe it’s his mannerisms, but he really reminds me of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

Mannerisms and shape of the head and limbs, plus those great big eyes, I think. Otherwise his face reminds me of a freaking axolotl, which is NOT a compliment. :~

Did anybody else collect the McFarlane dragons? The first two rounds were great, with handsome six-limbed and four-limbed designs. But as time went on they got more and more into the four-limbed designs, and worse: they started looking more and more humanoid. We started calling them “Maninsuit Dragons” (anyone remember that episode of Dexter’s Lab?) and I stopped collecting them. I wonder if a lot of other dragon collectors felt the same, because, the line died not long after.

I don’t terribly mind wyverns, although I greatly prefer six-limbed dragons and consider them “proper dragons.” But I really, really, really can’t stand dragons that look like a dude in a suit is playing them. ๐Ÿ˜ At that point, what’s the point?

pipsxlch
                  Participant

I have a couple McFarlanes and quite liked several, but wasn’t able to invest much.
                    I also intensely dislike humanoid dragons, and even worse (if possible) multiple headed ones. Really, where did those horrid pukeworthy monstrosities come from?!?
                    I always believed a 2-legged beastie was a wyvern; 4-legged a dragon. I never really liked wyverns, they never ‘felt’ right though some renditions are nice, though I did realize that 4 leggers are 6 limbed so even more impossible. Since they’re fantasy critters from some better universe, this was a non-issue. Who’s to say, if on some vanishing small chance binary-symmetrical limbed vertebrates evolved on another world, they wouldn’t have a base limb count other than 4?
                    ‘Real’ dragons in mt imagination never breathed fire either, or hoarded precious metal and gems- they’re just wild animals. (though they might construct bower bird-type displays with shinies).
                    I have no problem with 4-legged/no winged dragons- we already have them, and call them monitors and tegus. Smart, apex or close to predators/scavengers with an off the chart coolness factor.
                    The gliding lizards are super cool but not like flying dragons- ribs just don’t translate into full limbs.

Sirithiliel
                    Participant

I don’t mind multi-headed dragons, but i hate HATE humanoid ones. Bleh…

I used to have some McFarlanes, still have a big hydra my [then fiance] husband bought me once. Got rid of all the others except the hydra

i’ve always heard of wyverns being two legged with two wings, and proper dragons being four legged with two wings. I like them both, but dragons still are better imo. When I saw the Hobbit i turned to my husband in the theater and said ‘why is he a wyvern?’ lol

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

Mannerisms and shape of the head and limbs, plus those great big eyes, I think. Otherwise his face reminds me of a freaking axolotl, which is NOT a compliment. :~

Did anybody else collect the McFarlane dragons? The first two rounds were great, with handsome six-limbed and four-limbed designs. But as time went on they got more and more into the four-limbed designs, and worse: they started looking more and more humanoid. We started calling them “Maninsuit Dragons” (anyone remember that episode of Dexter’s Lab?) and I stopped collecting them. I wonder if a lot of other dragon collectors felt the same, because, the line died not long after.

I don’t terribly mind wyverns, although I greatly prefer six-limbed dragons and consider them “proper dragons.” But I really, really, really can’t stand dragons that look like a dude in a suit is playing them. ๐Ÿ˜ At that point, what’s the point?

I collected those for a while. I think I got about 4 or 5 sets deep before they just weren’t doing it for me like they used to.

Pipsxlch, they’re was actually a study (if you wanna call it that) on how dragons could actually breathe fire. It wasn’t so much as they breathed fire as they produced a combination of hydrogen and methane in their intestines and ingested flint and rocks much like birds do for digestion. They had the ability to control the gas in a sac/second stomach/ whatever you want to call it and as they would breathe the methane out they could ignite the gas by the flint and ground up rocks igniting a spark and then *taadaa* you have fire breath!

LOL! I did a book report on it in middle school.

Got a busted Windstone?
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.