fbpx

Twilight Gemstone's choice?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Twilight Gemstone's choice?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    LZ
    Participant

Using the eBay test paint series “Twilight Gemstone” as an example, would you rather collect all sculpts of one color, or all colors of one sculpt?

For myself, if I really loved a color, I would try to buy as many sculpts of it as I could.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

tig3r06
      Participant

For Mystic Jade I loved the color and picked my fav sculpts to go after with the money I had. Of course it’d be nice to get all sculpts so you have the whole family.

Now grab bags I have limited myself to color schemes, but multiple of the same sculpt. I like to have 2 or 4, it’s weird lol.

Nightcrow
        Participant

I think we all know I’m a one-sculpt person. 😀

Ironically, I’m too much of a completionist to try for color families; if there were only three pieces in a given color, I’d fret about the ones that were missing. I like my families big! 🙂 My White family includes almost every Western Dragon in production, but with test paints that would be impossible and I’d be bothered.

Better to conga-line these things because then they always look like a complete grouping! 🙂 I do try to limit my congas (operative word here may be “try”…) to my absolute favorite species/sculpts, lest I basically end up with a bunch of small families by default. So I do fantasy Fennecs, natural SRFs, fantasy Cougars, eye-catching OWs, and all the Lap Dragons I like/can afford. 🙂 I’m trying not to end up with two congas of Pebble Dragons, but we’ll just have to see.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

pipsxlch
          Participant

I’ve been a color collector- it makes it feel like a bunch of individuals of a single (or a few related) species. Congas like Nightcrow’s lap one look cool to me, but I don’t think they’d work for me. They’d feel too much like Warhol prints of a single individual.
            I think your ‘Twilight Gemstone’ example would make the Warhol effect worse, since the patterns and values feel much the same in each, just different shades. If I wanted to complete a Twilight Gemstone series, it would have to be of color not sculpt. (the pattern sameness might make a mixed family cool, age related color changes and different color morphs within a species)

Kim
            Blocked

I’m a rainbow colour collector type person meaning I either like rainbow sculpts or like a bunch of sculpts in a rainbow of colours. I do have some small families and pairs but the for the dragons I have now, I have a bunch of fledglings and baby dragons in a rainbow of 10 different production colours. I don’t care too much about getting different sculpts in the same colours. I am happy with getting the same sculpt in a bunch of different colours.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

fatalbeauty
              Participant

that’s me with fledglings, they’re a conga line of all the colors I like….

4 things I'm looking for:
                1. Mother Meerkat
                2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Ela_Hara
                Participant

I tend to like certain Sculpts, but I don’t like all the colors a sculpt may come in. And not all color/pattern schemes look good on my favorite Sculpts either, in my opinion. There are also some colors that really don’t appeal to me for any sculpt – such as Pastel colors.
                  For those GBs I buy/trade on the 2nd hand market I look for what strikes me with that ‘WOW’ factor… A pleasing combination of color mix, details, and patterns on a sculpt I like, which will make me turn my head and pay attention – LOL! If I can’t stop thinking about the piece, than that’s a Grail! I’ve had a few that have done that to me, such as my favorite KS Special Adult Poad I claimed from the first Live Stream and ‘Bacon N’ Eggs’ Curlie I purchased from Etruscan (thx again!). 🙂

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                  Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                  Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                  *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Bodine
                  Participant

I like them all😁 I have a mixed menagerie that would drive some of you batty.I do however,wish to have the complete set of browns,never gonna happen buuuut,because I love the coloring,natural look to the dragons,and they were the original start to all we have now in our wonderful fantasy worlds from Ms.Melody💞

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

dragonmedley
                    Participant

It depends on the color. I only have one ruby, one emerald and one gold – I love these colors on specific sculpts only. Not all sculpts wear the colors the same way to me, so I just go with that!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Nightcrow
                      Participant

That’s very true! Some sculpts just look better in a certain color than others.

I prefer mostly-solid colors on Laps, but have a couple of more wildly-colored OWs because the sculpt can carry them off so well. (Which reminds me, I need to get new pics of the OW Conga; I added one a while ago!) Part of it’s in the display, too, I think – the Laps I often display with each other, and a gaudy one would overpower the others. OWs I tend to display singly, so a crazy color on an OW doesn’t have competition. 🙂

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Nightcrow
                        Participant

I do love the Browns and Greens for their history! That’s a good point. I have an Old Brown mother and male (one of them’s one of the Very First Windstones, without felt!) and an Old Green male whom I’d really like to find a mate for someday. If anyone spots an Old Green mother without felt on Ebay for a reasonable price, PM me! 😀 The historical meaning of them makes them special in my collection even though brown and green aren’t colors I would want more of.

Stephanie
                          Participant

This is such a tough question! There are sculpts that I definitely prefer (hello, baby uni!), but there are also colors that I don’t like. So I get whatever I want, basically. If I like a sculpt and the color, then I want to add it to my collection.
                            The only exception is my hatchers. I have every V1 hatcher in every color, including the two mistakes. The only one I’m missing is a Melody test paint. I’d still love to find one of those someday! There was a blue one that I tried so hard to win, but alas…it didn’t happen.

Stephanie
                            Participant
                              I do love the Browns and Greens for their history! That’s a good point. I have an Old Brown mother and male (one of them’s one of the Very First Windstones, without felt!) and an Old Green male whom I’d really like to find a mate for someday. If anyone spots an Old Green mother without felt on Ebay for a reasonable price, PM me! The historical meaning of them makes them special in my collection even though brown and green aren’t colors I would want more of.

I will keep an eye out! I have an old green male/mother pairing without the felt. They need some TLC though. Someday I’ll be able to ship them off for repairs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.