fbpx

Turtles!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Turtles!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I need some help with my new pets, 2 baby painted turtles! Yesterday me and a few friends were walking around New York City and came across a store selling small turtles for 5$ a turtle. I have never had turtles and don’t know much about them, I’ve been feeding them Nutrafin Turtle Pellets, and their in a tank with clean water and a fewrocks for now. Any help would be apreciated! thanks πŸ˜€

dragonmedley
    Participant

If you can catch live flies, they love it. As they grow, they will need more and more room. They can snap at you, so watch the fingers…

And whatever you do, once they get bigger, if you put them outside, make sure you cover the container at night! I found out the hard way racoons eat turtles…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Amanda
      Participant

Aww! they’re adorable! I used to have two turtles that were about as big as my hand, and I’d let them swim in the bathtub sometimes πŸ˜† I remember they liked to eat worms as a treat O-o

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Oh no!! If you can, please report this guy selling them. What he was doing is illegal, and immoral.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/reptilesturtles/a/turtlesales.htm

Not only are they a health risk, but many of these turtles are pulled out of the wild. Sadly over 95% of them die before they are a year old… which is very depressing considering that they should live for at least 20 years! They are often sold with the misinformation that they can be kept in small bowls or tanks and that they will only grow to the size of the tank or bowl, which is false and will end up with a sick or dead turtle.

These guys need a fairly large tank set up (for an adult, a minimum of a 40 gallon long- double that for two turtles) with water deep enough to dive into, and a land area for basking. Their water needs to be kept clean, which is no easy task, and a filtration setup is highly recommended. They will need a heat source such as a basking lamp, and UV lighting either via natural sunlight each day (this cannot be through a window) or a fluorescent UV bulb.

They should ideally be fed fresh foods, supplemented with the pellets (the pellets alone will often lead to severe malnutrition). They can get a bit expensive to feed.

Here is some information on their care and diet:

http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/turtles/painted-turtle.php

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/caresheets/juvenileaquaticturtle.html

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/turtles/WesternPaintedTurtle.php

I worked in pet stores for many years and I always tried to talk people out of owning aquatic turtles. They are expensive to set up properly and take a lot of work (weekly water changes, even with a good filter, are a must for example) to keep clean, especially around children where there is a high risk of salmonella.

That said, if you can invest and care for the turtles properly they will be very interesting pets to watch.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

when i was in high school about to enter college i had a painted given to me by a friend and i ended up giving it to our natural resources Scales and Tales program . he had a good size shell on him maybe 8″ or so and loved to eat cricketts,meal worms, and feeder goldies i put in with him. But that is where the novelty wore off .

he was in a 30 gallon long tank and was so hard to keep clean it wasnt funny , i had 2 filters always running and had to change the charcole screens in them every other day . It got to be that i was spending about 50 bucks a week on filters just to keep the water semi clear. every week i had to scrub down the whole tank and boil the rocks to get all the turtle crap off them , and manually scrub out the filter tubes with a bottle brush. When i was away my mother didnt change the filter for 4 days and my room smelled like somthing had died . He was fine but i decided that they were way too much for me to take care of getting ready for college ,and all the time needed to keep a turtle clean and healthy was too much to keep up with . So he lived the rest of his life at a traveling petting zoo of sorts with Maryland Natural Resources , teaching kids about our water ways and the animals in them. I would always look for him at the state fair but never saw him , i would have known hime he had a really big “scar” on his shell from where it looked like he was attacked by somthing or hit with a mower .

sorry if im a buzz kill , i hope you enjoy them just remember they are ALOT of work , more than any animal i have ever had

What Jen said….turtles are a lot of work. And a long term commitment. I just helped re-home two red eared sliders. The owners had had them for over 10 years and Lucy and Ethel were outgrowing a 150 gallon tank. The owners were getting on in years and just couldn’t physically keep up with them anymore. Fortunately I know someone whose dad had a whole pond for turtles and he took them.

Last year I went to the Lights Spectacular at the Bronx Zoo just before Christmas. (By the way, anyone who gets a chance to go I highly recommend it) A friend and I went into the reptile house and someone had left a red eared slider in a traveling cage in front of the exhibit. We stayed with the turtle until a guard amd a keeper came. She told us that people do that all the time with reptiles – just leave them at the zoo. But because the zoo is accredited they can only get their animals from approved sources. Plus there is the whole disease risk. So if they can’t find a home for the animal within 24 hours (and they do keep a list of rescue organizations and people) they have to euthanize the animal. πŸ™

Good luck with yours. I hope they do well.

Maria
          Participant

They’re cute, KDM, but I hope you can take care fo them properly. The guy who was selling them for $5 each should be ashamed of himself.

Wow, I haven’t heard of or seen turtles sold in a pet shop since I was a kid. (read this as verrrrry long ago… πŸ˜‰ ) The risk of salmonella was a big factor in getting them pulled from sales.

Jen makes some very good points in her post, and yes, they are difficult to keep *well* in a tank.

If you do keep them, make sure to wash your hands very well with soap after handling them. That also goes for each time you clean their habitat, too. Salmonella is nothing to sneeze at.

Anonymous

I had a Cooter turtle for about two months. I had a nice wide tank, proper filtration, food, UVA/B light… what killed mine was that the water wasn’t hot enough. He got MBD and turned all red. I got him to the vet and had shots but it was too late.

So now I have all this equipment and no turtle. I could have turned the heater up too. πŸ˜₯

Purplecat
              Participant

you see box terrapins alot in the woods around here, and I love to pick them up and check them out, but I always put them back where I find them. I’ve never had a pet turtle, but they are awesome creatures. πŸ™‚ After reading all this…I suppose just seeing them occasionally in the wild is probably best. I wouldnt have guessed how difficult to care for they are. It kinda makes me angry at the pet shops….

Thank you for all the help! I don’t have a filter, so until I can get one I’ve been changing their water about twice a day. They’ve been eating the pellets I got and are doing well so far! I will go to the pet store tomorrow to buy some more stuff for them!

I had a wild aquatic turtle once. We were out 4x4ing during a very dry spell and nearly ran him over, we stopped and grabbed him. Since we knew there wasn’t water to be had for miles and he was only about 5 inches across we figured his best bet was us.

So we took him home, set up a tank for him with a filter, etc and fed him minnows and feeder goldfish, he ate a lot! We kept him for 2 years, then took him out to a reservor that always had water and turtles like him, and released him. Yes, we did check with wildlife control about releasing him and they determined that since he had come from the same general area, I’d say we were 15 miles from where he was found, and the same species of turtle was healthy and had never been exposed to other turtles it was safe to release him.

I imagine he is still living there happily and has descendants by now.

Turtles are cute, but lots of work, mine went through about 50 fish a week, and those were the bigger ones. The tank would support the fish, so he did his own hunting. We’d just add a new supply once a week. We never fed him commercial food, which I suspect would have made him ill considering what he was used to.

I imagine in the wild they eat tadpoles, water nymphs and other things, but fish was all I had and he was very healthy and was about 6.5 inches long when we let him go.

But I wouldn’t have wanted to keep caring for him, it was a lot of work, and that filter got nasty quick, we changed it daily.

Kyrin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.