fbpx

Tropic Ocean crackle affect?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Tropic Ocean crackle affect?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Lokie
    Participant

Koishii, how long after you sprayed her did you noticed the “crazing”?

And Nam, does it always happen immediately, or can it happen overtime? Now I’m wondering about my PYOs not in my possession anymore developing this.

KoishiiKitty
      Participant

Lokie wrote:

And Nam, does it always happen immediately, or can it happen overtime? Now I’m wondering about my PYOs not in my possession anymore developing this.

Well, I did not know to look for it. I noticed it some time later because it is not easy to see. the lighting has to hit it just right to see the little crackle affect.

So I noticed it much later…but that does not mean it did not happen sooner. 😐

Megan
        Participant

For what it’s worth, I think Tropical Ocean is still beautiful. If you do decide to put it up for sale, I might have to… well, probably will have to… will do my level best to get it. Yes. πŸ˜†

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Lokie wrote:

The effect on a Windstone is really subtle and tends to only be visible when looked at closely in certain light. That said, in my experience, it does not seem to happen immediately (within hours).

I have had a few production Windstones with this problem and I know Windstone would not ship a piece like this intentionally so I suspect it takes a while to show up, and possibly may not show up until the piece is exposed to a certain condition (hot dry air after humidity, etc). There are so many variables! The good news is that it does not seem to effect the integrity of the clearcoat. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Lokie
            Participant

Thank you for your responses, ladies.

Heather
              Participant

Yeek! It’s good to know about this, even though I’m freaking out a little at this end because I’ve been unknowingly playing with fire, spraying on too many clear-coats. Shall have to be a little more careful next time I spray a piece. This effect could be cool if used intentionally and on the right paint job, though.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Barrdwing wrote:

Yeek! It’s good to know about this, even though I’m freaking out a little at this end because I’ve been unknowingly playing with fire, spraying on too many clear-coats. Shall have to be a little more careful next time I spray a piece. This effect could be cool if used intentionally and on the right paint job, though.

Many sprays are designed to be added in indefinite coats (read the instructions to see)… but just apply as instructed. e.g. some of the sprays I have instruct me to add additional coats within 15 minutes, but one has the instruction that ‘if desired, let dry one minute then re-coat immediately’.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Heather
                  Participant

Yup, I do double-check the label when spraying and try to give each layer ample time to dry. What makes me wince a little, though, is knowing that I don’t always spray during ideal conditions, i.e. the listed temperature range. And there was one piece that I sprayed during a long rainy stretch, which was really asking for it! So I’m going to be a little more careful now. πŸ™‚

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

Barrdwing wrote:

Yup, I do double-check the label when spraying and try to give each layer ample time to dry. What makes me wince a little, though, is knowing that I don’t always spray during ideal conditions, i.e. the listed temperature range. And there was one piece that I sprayed during a long rainy stretch, which was really asking for it! So I’m going to be a little more careful now. πŸ™‚

It’s hard to get the ideal conditions! I cannot spray anywhere inside because I have birds and even if I am not bothered by low level fumes in the other room, it could harm my birds. And outside rarely has the temperature or humidity I need here… I often have to go to my parents house and use one of the spare rooms there to get close. I understand!!

Purplecat
                      Participant

I ended up shifting away from krylon myself…..I found it to be “finicky” and prone to a few different weird effects if circumstances weren’t just right, causing me to lose entire batches of castings. I was near to pulling my hair out, humidity and temperature shifts drastically here in ky sometimes.

I’m now using a product that has to be airbrush applied, or brushed on. So far it’s been a more reliable product, but requires multiple coats sometimes due to it’s thin consistency. I also have to THOROUGHLY clean my airbrush after using it, every time…or it’ll clog my airgun horribly. But overall, I like it much better.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.