fbpx

Thoughts and Prayers

Home Forums Miscellany Community Thoughts and Prayers

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Bob

This is GREAT news!!

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36064

Jasmine
      Participant

That’s great Steph!!

Wonderful news. I’m so glad they pulled through.
        Orchid Fyre*Fyre Lily*Silver* D Green*Bred Pink*Grass

Jodi
        Participant

That’s great! Yay!

Stephanie
          Participant

Grandpa is back home, but still a little under the weather, and now his wife is also sick. But neither of them are in serious danger! *hugs to everyone* Thank you!

Lupin
            Participant

Still sending Positives, but also glad to hear the good news!!

That’s great, I’m glad you have some mor time with them. One of the things I did when my dad couldn’t do much else was to write down all the family stories he could remember about what it was like for him growing up in his family and what it was like during the wars and the depressiion and what he could remember about his grandparents and what they told him about their grandparents. They are living history books and when they are gone, all that history is gone too. I was interested in the story about my grandmother and the skunk, and the time… those stories. I taperecorded them a little at a time so I could transcribe them later and I didn’t wear him out. I wish I done that with my mom, but she died much sooner. If you can do that, and you or he are interested in that, it can be a real gift later for your family and it doesn’t require any physical exertion on his part, same with your aunt. It’s just a thought. Best of luck with it all!!!

Stephanie
              Participant

drgnlvr wrote:

That’s great, I’m glad you have some mor time with them. One of the things I did when my dad couldn’t do much else was to write down all the family stories he could remember about what it was like for him growing up in his family and what it was like during the wars and the depressiion and what he could remember about his grandparents and what they told him about their grandparents. They are living history books and when they are gone, all that history is gone too. I was interested in the story about my grandmother and the skunk, and the time… those stories. I taperecorded them a little at a time so I could transcribe them later and I didn’t wear him out. I wish I done that with my mom, but she died much sooner. If you can do that, and you or he are interested in that, it can be a real gift later for your family and it doesn’t require any physical exertion on his part, same with your aunt. It’s just a thought. Best of luck with it all!!!

*grins* For my grandparent’s 50th anniversary (a few years before my grandmother died), my mom and dad made a video. In it, it contained pictures, music, and interviews with Granny and Popeye, and all six kids about their memories and their lives, and especially their marriage. It’s a treasure that I will always have. My mother has also taperecorded stories from my grandfather, so we also have those. πŸ™‚ It’s wonderful for many reasons, but the thing that’s the most touching to me (oh my gosh, I’m actually crying!), is that when I forget what Granny’s voice sounds like, I can put in the DVD and hear her again. And I know when Popeye goes, I’ll always have that, to be able to remember him too.
                It’s a wonderful idea. I treasure that video and those tapes so much…

It really is such a gift! You have such a treasure to pass on to your kids! Unfortunately for me, I gave the tapes to my sister, who now denies I ever did that and she has no knowledge or recollection of them, so they are gone forever and so is my dad. But I have the memories of the stories and my son was able to listen to many of them from him before he died, but that’s all I have and I have a lot of old pictures of him and my mom, which I am very grateful for, it’s more than a lot of people have who lost them all in fires or floods or other disasters. My sister inherited all of the family albums that go back for generations and she stored them in a storage locker in Washington that got flooded and ruined them. She is estranged from the rest of the family including me(her choice) so it’s hard to find out what happened to them after that. But we have what we have and I think that if we can take the opportunity while we can to talk to our older folks and get the stories while they can still relate them, we don’t miss our golden chances. Otherwise, we don’t get another chance. I’m so glad you didn’t miss yours!!! πŸ˜€

Lokie
                Participant

I’m so late to this thread, but I’m really glad to hear your grandfather is doing better, Stephanie!

Also, Drgnlvr and Stephanie, thank you for sharing what you and your families had done to document your parents’ and grandparents’ lives. You’ve provided me with a lot of great ideas. Stuff I should be thinking about with my own family. Thank you.

Stephanie
                  Participant

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers – I’m sure they’re helping.

My aunt is doing fine, and while my grandfather and his wife are still sick, they’re home and recovering.
                    But when it rains, it pours. Yesterday on our way to Albuquerque my car threw an engine rod at 70 mph. We’re both fine, but the car is totaled. It was also terrifying. A big bang, smoke pouring out as I wrestled it over to the side of the road. Then waiting for the tow truck (I love AAA! And our truck driver was incredibly nice. That really makes a bad experience better – when people are nice to you.) Then waiting at the mechanic’s for them to tell us I needed a new engine…$4,000? I can’t afford that, so we’re probably going to scrap it. It’s sad, though. The car was given to me by my great grandmother when she decided to stop driving. I’ve been pouring $ into it…new transmission, new radiator hoses, new tires less than a month ago…and a million other things that have gone wrong with it since I got it. Plus, a few months ago my step father hit a deer and seriously dented my hood, and didn’t do anything to fix it. πŸ‘Ώ So the hubby and I drove to Phoenix to get a new, unpainted hood, which was in the process of being painted yesterday. I guess we don’t need the hood anymore. It’s just such a waste of time and money when your car suddenly decides to die. And there’s nothing we could have done to prevent it. That’s maybe what irks me the most. I’ve spent thousands on this car, and now all that investment is gone. Oh well. I’m trying to stay positive. We still have two vehicles (neither of which run great, because this car was our ‘good’ car), but at least we have the money to fix one of them and turn it into our good car. But that will seriously deplete our house fund, which means we need to keep renting.

On a positive note, we were able to rent a car and stubbornly continue our vacation, so all is well on that front.

But more importantly (way more importantly), one of my uncles was admitted to the hospital this morning with congestive heart failure. We’re waiting to hear more. Sigh. Please keep praying and thinking positively for my family! We’re being hit hard right now.

*hugs* Thanks!

darjeb
                    Participant

It’s always nice to hear good news thanks for letting us know

Starbreeze
                      Participant

Goodness!! If it’s not one thing, it’s another!!! 😯 I’m glad you’re okay and I hope your uncle will be well soon!!! πŸ˜•

lamortefille
                        Participant

More good thoughts for your Uncle…

Jasmine
                          Participant

Oy, sending good thoughts pronto. πŸ˜•

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.