fbpx

Thought You Could Appreciate This…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Thought You Could Appreciate This…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Skigod377
    Participant

A few months ago, my husband set some mouse traps to catch the mice in the house. He (the trap really)killed one (I couldnt do it) and the other one(s) were too smart for the traps so they have had free reign of the house unless the cat is about. Well, the exterminator came and set something called sticky traps… I didnt know where he put them, but the cat kept staring under the oven for some reason, so I figured they were there… Sure enough, they were. My cat sticks his paw under the stove and comes out with this trap stuck on his paw with not one, but two mice stuck to it. Despite the circling dogs and the flopping cat, I manage to get his paw unstuck pretty easily. Now I have these two little mice stuck to this trap. I suppose it would have been easy to let them die if I had not known they were there, but instead, with their little pleading eyes staring at me, (one butter knife, a pair of scissors, and some toothpicks later) I pried them off the sticky board. Through trial and error I discover vegetable oil gets the remaining stick off, so now they are downstairs cleaning themselves off and enjoying some cheese. Im gonna take them out in the woods later and let them go, once they are cleaned and wont stick to anything. What a mess… all that trouble to catch them and then I just let them go anyway. :shrug:

Skigod377
      Participant

Bodine
        Participant

skigod377 wrote:

A few months ago, my husband set some mouse traps to catch the mice in the house. He (the trap really)killed one (I couldnt do it) and the other one(s) were too smart for the traps so they have had free reign of the house unless the cat is about. Well, the exterminator came and set something called sticky traps… I didnt know where he put them, but the cat kept staring under the oven for some reason, so I figured they were there… Sure enough, they were. My cat sticks his paw under the stove and comes out with this trap stuck on his paw with not one, but two mice stuck to it. Despite the circling dogs and the flopping cat, I manage to get his paw unstuck pretty easily. Now I have these two little mice stuck to this trap. I suppose it would have been easy to let them die if I had not known they were there, but instead, with their little pleading eyes staring at me, (one butter knife, a pair of scissors, and some toothpicks later) I pried them off the sticky board. Through trial and error I discover vegetable oil gets the remaining stick off, so now they are downstairs cleaning themselves off and enjoying some cheese. Im gonna take them out in the woods later and let them go, once they are cleaned and wont stick to anything. What a mess… all that trouble to catch them and then I just let them go anyway. :shrug:

XD XDThat is hilarious!!!I cried that was so funny and ironic,sounds like my house!how comical ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† Thanks for the giggles 8) squeek* squeek* ๐Ÿ˜†

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

twindragonsmum
          Participant

We had something similar happen while we lived in Utah… The boys were about 2 years old and were having breakfast. I’d just gotten out of the shower when I heard Sean yelling “Oh, it’s a wap, a willy big wap!” and Ethan was hollering “Git it! Git it!” Yelling twins was usually cause to run, so I dashed to the kitchen where I found both boys standing on the table and Abby (the cat) sitting on one of the chairs. The ‘wap’ (rat) turned out to be a mouse and from the looks of him, he certainly wasn’t starving to death (read that as he was fat). So we set traps but it turned out he was highly intelligent ’cause he’d set off the trap and then take the bait. Wonderful. So we had a fat, smart mouse that the cat was more interested in watching than catching. One morning, though, we saw that he hadn’t been quite fast enough – he’d left his tail behind in the trap ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Now he was a fat, smart, tail-less mouse… Roddy (hubby) decided it was time for glue traps. Those didn’t work well, either. We found the traps with the bait gone and huge patches of mouse fur stuck to them. At this point we think the fat, smart, tail-less, bald mouse vacated the premises in order to find an easier place to get a meal. Had to have been one of the luckiest mice in mousey history… ๐Ÿ˜€

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ˜€

tdm

Jennifer
            Keymaster

Hah!Well, if you release them, take them far, far far away, otherwise there is a good likelihood that they will just end up back in your house again! ๐Ÿ˜†

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

I’m glad I’m not the only one! ๐Ÿ˜† Last winter I noticed all the cats in the kitchen when it WASN’T meal time so I went to see what they were up to just in time to see Figment pounce on a mouse. I yelled and he dropped the little guy and I ran over and picked him up. He was pretty shaken up – maybe had a little mousey concussion so I put him in a vase in the bathroom for a few minutes and went and dug out an aquarium for him. This was at midnight on a bitterly cold night and we were having a windstorm so I couldn’t just let him go outside. So I set up an aquarium for him and he lived in my upstairs bathroom until spring when one of my staff took him out to a little patch of woods by her house and let him go! ๐Ÿ˜€ And I know an elderly woman who set a little piece of cheese and some water under her kitchen sink for two years after she saw a mouse run into the cabinet!

Skigod377
              Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Hah!Well, if you release them, take them far, far far away, otherwise there is a good likelihood that they will just end up back in your house again! ๐Ÿ˜†

I would have Jen, but it was cold and rainy outside last night, so I let them dry off as best they would, gave them some food, water, and a blanket, and set them out in the storage area by the carport. I was gonna put them back under the stove but restrained myself.

Laurie
                Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

I would have Jen, but it was cold and rainy outside last night, so I let them dry off as best they would, gave them some food, water, and a blanket, and set them out in the storage area by the carport. I was gonna put them back under the stove but restrained myself.

Oh, you’re such a puffball. military folks aren’t supposed to have “sucker” tattooed on their foreheads. XD XD

Setsunawolf
                  Participant

I love your stories, but rodentia in my house just simply get to die. Except for the baby rat I saved from Soma aka Evil. That little guy I took way out and let go. But seriously after having rats in the house I will never have rodents again. I had to call the exterminator and have them exterminated.

Pet rats I don’t care about, they are even cute and nice, but wild rats destroying my house sucked. My husky took to hunting them. She had a kill count of 5 from her crate not sure how she did that :scratch: It was awful. I don’t even want mice :negative: and if I see one in the house the exterminator will be back to get rid of them. :yes:

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                    Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                    Sun Dragon Koi #3

Some of these stories remind me of our brush with some mice here a few years back. One morning, my husband, (who gets up for work at like 4 AM…) comes back into the bedroom, wakes me up and thereby risking my serious wrath at being woken at that hour and asks me “When you were out at New Hope (in PA) the other day, did you stop at that cat shop?” I mumbled something about yes, I had been in that shop. Next question was “Did you happen to buy the cats a toy mouse?” Uh oh…..Now I’m awake, and I looked at him and said no, I *DIDN’T* buy them a toy mouse….Why are you asking me this at this hour?? And he says, “well, then there’s a dead mouse on the floor in the living room.” (Keep in mind we had 3 cats at that time, Turbo, our older Maine Coon boy, Cayenne, the junior Maine Coon boy, and Neige, the Turkish Angora Pound Refugee…)
                    Okay….so I look at him and growl “just what did you want ME to do about this?” And then I decided “Oh forget it….” and got up. Sure enough, there’s this dead mouse in the middle of my living room. I picked it up, opened the front door, and out goes the mouse, and I go back to bed. About a week goes by, and George gets up for work, opens the bedroom door and turns on the hall light in time to catch Neige red-handed with ANOTHER mouse in her mouth. She bolts off down the hallway with George in hot pursuit, runs into the living room and PTUI! Spits out the mouse, who WASN’T DEAD yet. Mr. Mouse promptly runs under the couch. Husband comes back into the bedroom, (the man really doesn’t retain warnings very well…) and wakes me up to tell me all this, followed by the question “What should I do?” I told him to pick a side of the couch that didn’t have a cat and he could park his butt there and wait for the mouse. He has the sheer audacity to give me the old “very funny….I have to go to work” routine. So I told him to go ahead and leave; I was certain the mouse would make a dash for freedom, and I’d get up later and find the corpse. Sure enough…..so out the front door goes dead mouse number 2. Flash forward to about a month later. I’m in the office in front of the computer when George yells for me to come out into the living room, and to bring a cat with me. WTH? So I head to the living room, carrying Cayenne, who to the best of our knowledge had never truly caught anything live, but he was the first feline I came across on my way to the living room. So….I ask the hubby what’s up. In our living room we have a stone fireplace that goes from the floor to the ceiling. And up at the top, previously unnoticed by either of us, is this little hole in the wall next to the stone and up by the ceiling, which is a good 12 feet high. He then points to the woodbox next to the hearth, and says “A mouse just fell out of that hole, and landed in the woodbox.” So I look, and sure enough here is this mouse going “Whoa! Better watch that first step…….” So I grab Cayenne, and point him at the mouse, and go “GET the MOUSE”. The cat goes Huh? What mouse? And at this point the mouse makes a very fatal error in judgement, and bolts out of the wood box. The cat goes Oh….THAT mouse, grabs the mouse, who promptly screams, and the cat spits it out…in the middle of the living room. Now both the husband and I look like we were auditioning for Riverdance. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ The mouse goes to run again, Cayenne grabs it again, and POOF! Neige, who had lived rough on the streets before we got her from the pound, materializes out of thin air in front of Cayenne, says “MY MOUSE”, swipes the mouse right out of Cayenne’s mouth, and takes off like a shot down the hallway and into my office, followed by me, my husband and Cayenne, who was yelling “Hey! That was MY mouse”. Neige spits the mouse out, and have I mentioned I have two fishtanks in my office? Guess where the mouse goes. I opened the cabinet door under that tank, the mouse shoots out, gets grabbed again by Neige who now runs into my bedroom. Alrighty….I draw the line at live mice in the room where I sleep. I corner the cat, grab the mouse out of her mouth, and gave him the traditional burial at sea usually reserved for dead goldfish. Too bad we have a septic system…..LOL
                    I finally broke down and put some bait traps out in the garage, which was apparently where they were getting in from. To date and I’m knocking on wood here, we haven’t had that problem crop up again.
                    Returning to Lurkdom…… ๐Ÿ˜€

Skigod377
                    Participant

setsunawolf wrote:

I love your stories, but rodentia in my house just simply get to die. Except for the baby rat I saved from Soma aka Evil. That little guy I took way out and let go. But seriously after having rats in the house I will never have rodents again. I had to call the exterminator and have them exterminated.

Pet rats I don’t care about, they are even cute and nice, but wild rats destroying my house sucked. My husky took to hunting them. She had a kill count of 5 from her crate not sure how she did that :scratch: It was awful. I don’t even want mice :negative: and if I see one in the house the exterminator will be back to get rid of them. :yes:

If the trap would have actually exterminated them, I would have been alright… but actually seeing the death in process was not something I could watch… or even let happen now that I knew about it. Now its too late… I like those two. And they are much more acceptable to me than roaches. I can kill a roach.

tasgrs, thats a pretty funny story! Sounds like your hubby has it backwards… you should be coming to HIM to handle the mice! ๐Ÿ˜€

skigod377 wrote:

tasgrs, thats a pretty funny story! Sounds like your hubby has it backwards… you should be coming to HIM to handle the mice! ๐Ÿ˜€

He’s a really soft-hearted guy. He has a hard time killing anything with fur, even a mouse. Thankfully, I’m not afraid of creepy-crawlies aside from wasps or bees, otherwise we’d be in big trouble around here. ๐Ÿ˜€

frozendragon
                      Participant

hmm the cheese might constipate them and kill them anyway..

mice don’t actually eat cheese like on TV and cartoons.. best way to actually capture and kill them is peanut butter..

most of the time they will actually just leave cheese alone if it’s what you use for bait.. and the reason it leaves is because bugs will eat it.. and bugs don’t set off traps..

to me sticky traps are good for catching bugs.. and you get the box traps for the mice.. never have to see them when they’re caught..

cause no matter what.. mice are gross and can give you all kinds of illnesses

Skigod377
                        Participant

frozendragon wrote:

hmm the cheese might constipate them and kill them anyway..

mice don’t actually eat cheese like on TV and cartoons.. best way to actually capture and kill them is peanut butter..

most of the time they will actually just leave cheese alone if it’s what you use for bait.. and the reason it leaves is because bugs will eat it.. and bugs don’t set off traps..

to me sticky traps are good for catching bugs.. and you get the box traps for the mice.. never have to see them when they’re caught..

cause no matter what.. mice are gross and can give you all kinds of illnesses

I doubt cheese will constipate them… with all the junk they eat, they probably have stomaches of steel. I tried peanut butter, but it was always licked off the next day, with the trap not going off. Could have been bugs, but I think it was the mice.

I told my story to the guys at work and they couldnt belive it. They told me to run them over with the car (which I had thought about) and top told me he puts them in a bag and smashes them with a rock… which I know I could not do. They all laughed at me, and told me to call them next time, but I def see the humor in the situation… not that there will ever be a next time, since I dont plan on using the traps again.

dragonmedley
                          Participant

2Huberts wrote:

Oh, you’re such a puffball. military folks aren’t supposed to have “sucker” tattooed on their foreheads. XD XD

XD That’s hilarious!

You should have just gotten the humane cages – less trouble getting the critters out!

Personally, I find mice so cute. I would’ve probably done the same thing…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.