fbpx

“The Ugly Phase”

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone “The Ugly Phase”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ChristinaV
    Participant

I don’t know about you, but most of my pieces go through an ugly phase before I get them looking decent. I’m in that place right now, and getting frustrated.

I’m trying to do a kitty gryphon in the plumage of an Eastern Bluebird. It’s not going well. I just can’t figure out what to do to get the poor thing looking less plastered together and more whimsical and cohesive.

Looking for suggestions, and tips on how to antique a bright blue body with lighter chest. Help, o help! I’m usually on the FB fan group, but I’m doing a December Detox from social media, and this forum is my only hope!

Bluebird Kittygriff </img>

Side View</img>

While no one is expected to leap tall buildings in a single
      bound, our aspiring heroes will be tested on their courage,
      integrity, self-sacrifice, compassion and resourcefulness -
      the stuff of all true superheroes.
      - Stan Lee

etruscan
      Participant

From my totally non-artistic perspective, I think the white and green parts of the wings are throwing it out of balance. Or maybe they just are shiny white and the green is a reflection? I think that staying with the light blue that you were using on the lower wing feathers would blend in better.
        Photos of the Eastern Bluebird show darker color at the end of the wings. Maybe use a blue mixed with black for the tips of the wings?

These are just suggestions. Adding the eyes also should help him look more alive.

pipsxlch
        Participant

I agree that using the light blue on the bottom of the wings over the whole paler area of the wing may help as Etruscan mentioned. It looks like you have a dark blue on the ear tips; maybe tipping the lower wing feathers (like mentioned) and tail tuft with the same shade would help? As for antiquing, you can use different shades on different areas.

dragonmedley
          Participant

Recreating birds on the PYOs is very challenging as a rule. Sometimes I look at drawings instead of actual pictures to help me recreate the plumage. Cartoons can also be inspiring.

You have to cheat. We only have the underwing here, but nothing stops you from applying the over wing pattern of light and dark blue, as pip and Etruscan suggested. You can cover the white completely and play with blues. If you’re not comfortable blending, try playing with dry brushing. The effect is different in each case, you have to see what speaks to you.

For antiquing, use a different colour depending on what you’re antiquing, so maybe black for the darker colours and a grey of some sort for the lighter colours. I usually antique over a clear protecting coat, otherwise, I remove some paint in the process (that means waiting 2 or 3 days to be SURE the top coat is dry).

I always expriment on the non-display side to be sure that I like the direction before moving to the display side.

Hope this helps!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

ChristinaV
            Participant

Thank you for all the good advice! I did tip the longer feathers black, and decided to do a bit of embellishing with my dotting tools on some of the ruff feathers. It’s looking better now. Nothing as masterful as some PYOs I’ve seen, but closer to “good enough for me!” Just clear coated the piece and am getting ready to antique it. I’ve never tried doing light areas in one shade and dark areas in another… hope it works out! Thanks for the input!

- Stan Lee

ChristinaV
              Participant

Here is what I’ve done so far.

- Stan Lee

etruscan
                Participant

He does look better. Nice work. 🙂

ChristinaV
                  Participant

Finished! Antiquing made a big difference. Had to use red background- can’t find my white.

- Stan Lee

dragonmedley
                    Participant

👍

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Lokie
                      Participant

I think it came together really nicely!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.