fbpx

The Dentist OMG!

Home Forums Miscellany Community The Dentist OMG!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Laurie
    Participant

Is anyone else as freaked out about going to the dentist as I am? How do you get over it? I came home from work today and noticed a large red lump on my leg (yes the staph infection is back) so I go to the doctor for that. When I get home from the doctor I decided to chew some gum and part of what I thought was my tooth fell out. I haven’t been to the dentist in two years (partly because of what all was going on in my life and partly because I’m a sissy). So I get an appointment for today and go. The dentist gave me the “OMG your my worst patient” look, told me I had a filling fall out and that I have 10 cavities! I’m like 10?! I don’t know if he was counting the ones I already had or what but OMG. I’m like what is the point in brushing my teeth if I still get all these cavities? So now I have two long appointments to get my teeth fixed but I just freak out at the thought of going back in. He gave me a prescription for a sedative to take before I get there but I won’t be able to take it since I’m breastfeeding. I HATE dentists, maybe I can talk him in to pulling out all my teeth so I can get dentures and never have to go back again πŸ˜†

Laurie
      Participant

BDW
        Participant

😯 Dentures are not the answer since as you get older your mouth changes and it can start hurting like hell, not to mention that they are very costly!

I used to be like you and at one time it took me 10 years to go back that’s how scared I was!
          I got a new dentist and it made all the difference. Now I try not to miss an appointment. Yes I still don’t like needles and the grinder but I’m pass the big fear. πŸ˜€

Duld
          Participant

ok I might not be the best person to do this but I am going to go Necron on you

ARE YOU FREAKIN’ CRAZY !!!! dentures require maintainence too, depends on your body condition, some need to get maintainence (relining) every three months and some once every two years, and that’s even more expensive than the dentist, the resin is quite toxic and can cause allergies and with your luck I wouldn’t count on being lucky

your own teeth should be maintained for the longest time because dentures can cause pain while chewing (yah I know that’s their job but natural is better) ((that is usually a big sign of maintainence time), especially when they condense over the A-line

(I know I am mean, I am just scaring you, just remember natural teeth are best and the horror stories I just wrote are only worst case scenarios, Dentures work fine but please keep your teeth, AND DON’T YOU DARE GET VENEERS!!!!)

Purplecat
            Participant

I have the same dentist fear…and I tend to only go when I have an agonizing toothache. I get jittery and panicky when I have to go, but I do go, even if it is rarely. My dentist recommended the new Act Restoring mouthwash stuff along with brushing, and it actually can help rebuild your enamel. It’s helped a TON! I’m an obsessive tooth-brusher too….cause I dont wanna go. πŸ˜†

I’ve been scared of the dentist since I got my wisdoms pulled! 😯 That was 2 hours of the worst pain I have felt so far in my life… (by the way, most of that time was on one tooth…)

I should probably go back… the best I can say for myself is that at least the capped ones never died. πŸ™„

laphon1
              Participant

It is not the dentist or the stuff he does to my teeth. For me it is the shot(s) of painkiller. I totally freak about shots. So my dentist gives me nitrous oxide to relax me enough so they can shoot me full of Novacaine. Once the dreaded shots are over they turn off the gas and by the time I am ready to leave it is out of my system and I am once again my normal? self. It sure helps me.

purpledragonclaw
                Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

I’ve been scared of the dentist since I got my wisdoms pulled! 😯 That was 2 hours of the worst pain I have felt so far in my life… (by the way, most of that time was on one tooth…)

I should probably go back… the best I can say for myself is that at least the capped ones never died. πŸ™„

My bottom wisdoms being pulled were the hardest for me. They were growing horizontally, and on top of that, they were too big to fit through my gums! My dentist had to halve them, still too big, and then quarter them! 😯

If I have pain I make tight fists and squeeze to create a new pain to distract me. Nowadays, though, I just pass out! πŸ˜†

Laurie
                  Participant

I was actually joking about the dentures. I never really had a problem with the dentist until I had my wisdom teeth removed. I woke up in the middle of the procedure and started fighting the staff (don’t ask me why I still don’t know). Ever since then I’ve really been bad about going to the dentist. I think its a combination of that and having braces when I was a kid.

purpledoggy wrote:

I was actually joking about the dentures. I never really had a problem with the dentist until I had my wisdom teeth removed. I woke up in the middle of the procedure and started fighting the staff (don’t ask me why I still don’t know). Ever since then I’ve really been bad about going to the dentist. I think its a combination of that and having braces when I was a kid.

I woke up in the middle of having mine pulled too! i just remember opening my eyes and the doctor said “hi how are ya” and then i heard a sound like a drill and passed back out. I’m going to the dentist on the 12th of this month and I’m scared. I hate going. I don’t like people messing around with my mouth. It’s annoying and gross. I’m gonna be sedated for the whole process. The place’s ad said that they were number one in sedation dentistry or whatever. I said “SWEET”!!
                    KNOCK ME OUT!!!

My most wanted list: Peacock kitty wizard, carnelian mouse wizard, copper patina frog wizard, autumn leaf poads, pumpkin spice kitties

What’s wrong with veneers? Unless your definition of a veneer and mine are different. I have a veneer, without it I would have a stub of a front tooth. I broke it when I was nine, after years of horrid looking patch jobs I finally got the glass veneer. I’ve had it over 15 years now and I am not sorry…it looks and feels just like my natural teeth. And it’s permanent.

I had to have two molars pulled in the last 3 years, they wanted to do root canals, but I simply can not afford $1000 per root canal and $90 to pull the offending tooth was what I could afford. At least they don’t show when I smile, so I don’t mind. Perhaps someday I’ll get a bridge or something, but it’s not critical. I don’t get cavities…kinda wish I did, instead I grind my teeth and crack them…which is worse.

Anyway…I agree that Purpledoggy should keep her teeth…I know she was just joking about the dentures anyway. πŸ™‚

Dentists aren’t that bad, if you don’t like the one you are seeing right now, look around, you aren’t stuck with him, shop around until you find one you like.

Kyrin

Laurie
                    Participant

Its not that I don’t like the dentist, its that I don’t like any dentist. I just hate them all I don’t care how good or bad they are. I rank them up there with clowns.

I must be alone in that I was never afraid of the dentist.

Then again, the only time I EVER had cavities was my first time, when I was in first grade. The rest of the time was smooth sailing. I didn’t even need braces. (I have freakishly naturally straight teeth!)

And I am SO GLAD I never woke up when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. The only thing that was truly miserable about that whole thing for me was wanting to eat REAL FOOD instead of yogurt, Jell-O and stuff. This was back around with this forum opened and Melody was sending me PMs checking up on me saying “Jell-O good!”

…Sorry, but I still think that’s hilarious to this day.

But yeah one day my parents had Lee’s fried chicken while I was still on the soft food and I WAS SO JEALOUS I COULDN’T STAND IT. 😐

man you guys were put to sleep for wisdom tooth extraction. i was awake through the whole thing , then again i am the man 8)

Necron99 wrote:

man you guys were put to sleep for wisdom tooth extraction. i was awake through the whole thing , then again i am the man 8)

I was awake too, what does that make me? πŸ˜† Or do I wanna know?

Actually I wanted to be knocked out. My parents said no. Heck, when I got my tendons in my left hand reattached my father told the doctor to not knock me out. 😯 The doctor said they had to, or I wouldn’t be relaxed. I don’t think I’d ever been so relieved… haha.

What’s a veneer? I think I probably know what it is, but I’ve never heard the term before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.