fbpx

TF pyos updated:peach dragon+blue/gold dragon pg.4

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone TF pyos updated:peach dragon+blue/gold dragon pg.4

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

Kyrin wrote:

They are all lovely, one quick question, why did you paint the leg scales on the left leg of the storm dragon blue, but not the right leg?

Was that an oops?

BTW, I really like that storm dragon, he is really gorgous, the others are terrific too, I really like the last red one alot, and the sage one is terrific.

Kyrin

ahhhhhhhh it actually isn’t an oops, the blue you see is interference.. so its intensity changes due to the angle you view it at, as opposed to straight up metallic. also, i painted the interference over the cloud pattern underneath, instead of giving it a dark base everywhere, that gave it a little more variation in the tones. i did that so it looked a little more “natural” like varying amounts of blue sky peeking through the clouds. the paler areas like that still have a little thin veil of clouds still in front of them, lol. in person it does shine blue almost as intensely as the other side, it just didn’t get the light the right way. the main body scale points vary like that too; the ones over a dark area are very intense, while the ones over white are a little more subtle. i hope that helps! i agree , it does photograph a little funny. πŸ™‚
      let me see if i can find a pic that shows that area at a full on side, i think it caught the light better that way…

maebnus, now you got me thinking about those chocolate mints! lol! he DOES look like one! oh my god! now i’m always going to see him that way! (“mmmmmm cheap chocolate mints, ahhhh “drools like homer with donut) lol! πŸ˜†
      thanks for liking all my babies guys! πŸ˜€ squee! i really got to get doing some griffs and kirin, i’m getting dragoned out over here!
      oh, this one isn’t too helpful, but it does show how that right leg has the blue, just not as intense as its over white….[/img]

Kujacker
      Participant

Wow. Those two new dragons look stunning. The way the green/yellow comes thru with the white on top looks amazing. Do you dry brush the scales or paint one at a time?

Tiffany
        Participant

in regards to the “body texture” areas (the little bumpies) i have a base of pearl white, wait til it is totally bone dry, then put a wet wash of the color (the color with just a tiny drop of water to help it move), green or yellow in this case over all of it, scrubbing it into the crevices. almost immediately after i wipe my finger over the area, wiping the color off the raised area, leaving the color in the crevices. the key is doing only tiny areas at a time, so no area dries too much before you get to it. certain high points i may go over again in pearl, bump by bump, just as touch ups and to make em extra bright.
          wing and body scale color gradation is done while the colors are still wet at the meeting points, so we have a smooth cross over. then once all is dry on the wings i may go back in at the very top, adding a dark wash into the crevices, and then at the bottom dry brush a touch of pearl onto the high points at the very bottom part of the wing.
          hmm you got me thinking over here… on my previous dark pieces like the black n purple halloweeny looking one, i had a base of black, and that is where i dry brushed the purple over. i’ll have to try it the other way sometime and see how i like it. for some reason whenever i had a black involved i did it as a base and brushed color over…i had a reason why i preferred it that way, but i can’t remember now ( i’m in sick this weekend with a gum infection, so i’m a little delirious). hmmmmm, anyway, hope that helps! πŸ™‚ lol.

i really like dcc1961’s 2 new dragons. great job! i can’t wait to see them in person. the yellow one is so…fresh and sunny looking…it makes me feel happy when i see it

Tiffany
          Participant

heeeeeeeeeeeeeey davey good to see you! hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! πŸ˜€ welcome back on here! yes, the sunny one is wicked happy and positive! i really have to make one like that for myself for when i get feeling blue or discouraged….shes so uplifting.

I’m always on the forums looking around πŸ˜€ . I just don’t feel compelled to post very often 😳

Dorothy
            Participant

Thank you TF for all the beautiful dragons. πŸ˜€ You do such amazing work and have the knack for capturing just the look I want. I love them all! Sunny makes me happy just to look at her, and the sage is simply beautiful. I must say my favorites are the black and red and red w/yellow eyes. They have such a malevolent look to them (even thought they are so darn cute) that when they are older, you can just imaging them kicking some butt and razing the local village. I really wanted wicked looking dragons, and that is what I got. 😈 What doesn’t show up well in the pictures is the red dragon is so shiny it looks like wet blood. Kind of morbid, I know, but so cool. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tiffany
              Participant

alrighty time for a new dragon! again for dcc1961 is this imposing fellow… he was done to compliment/contrast the sunlight dragon… he is the starry night dragon. he was to look like that super dark night sky when you have just the smallest slice of the moon present in an otherwise black sky. when the sky is that dark you can see that magical multitude of normally invisible stars that in some areas almost get a milky way like quality. he has the little sliver of moon represented as he his smallest wide neck scale and he is alot darker in person, but the light box really brought out the blue in his blue/black areas.this one was really hard to photograph; casual desk shot seemed to capture his darkness better. πŸ˜• i antiqued him in pearl (first time i tried a light over dark antique), which in person gives him a nice starry/milky way sparkle.
                [img][/img]

Pegasi1978
                Participant

Very pretty!

Anthony
                  Participant

Yeah it is very pretty ^^

With the title given, I was expecting a dragon based on Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night’ painting. Silly me.

He’s lovely, and I like the concept. But now I am wondering about doing a dragon based on the Van Gogh painting, bet that would look cool, especially if a bit of the original painting could be reproduced on the wings.

Kyrin

Pegasi1978
                    Participant

Kyrin wrote:

With the title given, I was expecting a dragon based on Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night’ painting. Silly me.

He’s lovely, and I like the concept. But now I am wondering about doing a dragon based on the Van Gogh painting, bet that would look cool, especially if a bit of the original painting could be reproduced on the wings.

Kyrin
                      I was thinking that myself at first. πŸ˜€

Maria
                      Participant

He’s really neat.

Kyrin wrote:

Kyrin

Starry Night is one of my favorite paintings. I’m looking at it right now on my office wall trying to imagine a PYO done in that theme. It would be very interesting! BTW TF, your “starry night” dragon is very nice. I think I like it better than Stormy, I’ll just ahve to wait and see…

Tiffany
                        Participant

lol! i agree guys, his name TOTALLY implies that he is based off of the van gogh painting! lol! my apologies for the confusion/lack of my name creativity! i just started calling him that and it stuck in my little brain. 😳 i am sure he will be properly renamed by his new momma! perhaps i should refer to him as a midnight sky dragon…
                          yes, i do think a dragon would look totally cool based off of that painting! i thought of that myself the first time i called him the starry night dragon in my head… “oh like the painting, gosh that would look cool!” the colors are great together just to begin with, but would look extra snazzy with that wonderful texture/patterning to the paint.
                          david, i had feeling you’d like this guy! i told dottie he needed to go out on a little dragon date with your tiamat- they look like they’d make a cute pair! lol! good to see you!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.