fbpx

Test Paint Question

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Test Paint Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

Stephanie
      Participant

I was thinking about the highly coveted test paints, and I had a question. (I might have asked this somewhere before, but for the life of me I can’t remember, and can’t find it if I did…so I apologize!)

When you are fine tuning a new color, do you test paint every sculpt in that new color? Or are there standard sculpts that you test a color out on? IE: Are there test paint griffin chicks or hatchlings out there somewhere? Or are the griffin adults and dragon adults sufficient?

Thank you!

Melody
        Keymaster

Stephanie wrote:

I was thinking about the highly coveted test paints, and I had a question. (I might have asked this somewhere before, but for the life of me I can’t remember, and can’t find it if I did…so I apologize!)

When you are fine tuning a new color, do you test paint every sculpt in that new color? Or are there standard sculpts that you test a color out on? IE: Are there test paint griffin chicks or hatchlings out there somewhere? Or are the griffin adults and dragon adults sufficient?

Thank you! Lately, I usually have been test painting the Warriors. I used to test paint bad castings of any dragon I found, but the old Warriors are my favorite to try stuff out on., though they have the problem of being BIG.
          The Warriors are deceiving too, because they usually look good in almost any color! If I find a color I love (or you guys love) on the Warrior, I’ll try that color on the mother dragon. I use her because I think she is the hardest to design a paint scheme for. Her wings are too closed up, and there isn’t much underside showing to blend colors into. Most metallic colors look fine though. Then I would hand them to Olimpia and she takes it from there, designing the paint for the other pieces.She will do a couple of each one, and I choose one I like best (or we choose one, if there is an audience around) or I mark parts from each one that I like. Then Olimpia paints an official paint sample piece that the other painters match.
          This process has changed now though, since Olimpia is selling her own Artist’s Edition things, SHE has been coming up with all kinds of test paint colors. When something we really like turns up, we say “WHOA! save that one as a paint sample for production!”
          With the griffins, I often test paint the male and female together at the same time because they are so different! They rarely end up looking the same, as you can see from the test paints we are selling. I should of sculpted them with a more similar feather arrangement. It is not easy to paint them to match each other!
          I don’t test paint chicks till we get some idea of what color the adults are going to be. That is why there are very few chick test paints. The ones I have are so darn cute I don’t want to sell them. This is why we have too much stuff.

Stephanie
          Participant

*grins* Alright, thanks so much for the reply! It sounds like quite a process to get any new color scheme off the ground.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.