Sushi

Home Forums Miscellany Food Sushi

This topic contains 35 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Maddy 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #838528

    Hannah
    Participant

    Lovers? Haters? I have a craving for sushi tonight – California Rolls (I know, it’s cheating) and something with Salmon sounds really good.

    Commission spots are open! Please message me for details.

    Please visit Cuddly Clay to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

    #502432

    Hannah
    Participant

    Commission spots are open! Please message me for details.

    Please visit Cuddly Clay to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

    #838529

    Purplecat
    Participant

    I LOVE sushi!!! Especially any roll with smoked salmon or lobster in it! Tuna is also a favorite. I love trying new rolls. 😀 😀 😀 😀

    #838530

    Jennifer
    Keymaster

    I love sushi!

    But, I do my very best to stick to the Seafood watch, because very sadly we (humans) are really causing serious harm to the oceans right now, and it’d break my heart to contribute to it. Right now they say that unless we stop that all bluefin tuna fish will be gone by next year, for example 🙁

    Here’s a guide:
    http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_sushi_restaurant.aspx

    I'm here to help! Time sensitive issues: See a spammer? Website going haywire? email me! nambroth at gmail.com

    #838531

    Grayfire_artz
    Participant

    aaaaaaah i love suuuuuuuuuuushi! 😀
    have you ever had uni?

    #838532

    siberakh1
    Participant

    I ADORE sushi. I need to make some at home at some point, so I can show my mom that there are other things besides raw fish for sushi (sushi really just refers to vinegared rice anyways, and much of the original sushi eaten long ago were pickled items).

    Thanks for that link Jen! I know I have a little card I carry with me, though it is hard sometimes when places don’t list or mention where they get their fish from, especially if there is a language barrier. 🙁

    #838533

    Jennifer
    Keymaster

    siberakh1 wrote:

    I ADORE sushi. I need to make some at home at some point, so I can show my mom that there are other things besides raw fish for sushi (sushi really just refers to vinegared rice anyways, and much of the original sushi eaten long ago were pickled items).

    Some of the best ‘make at home’ sushi that I can make (I cannot get sushi fish here, sadly, where I live so I must use other things) I learned from Melody. Bacon sushi! No, really! Cook your bacon, I like to use the oven with aluminum foil, so that it’s done but not super crispy. Just so it’s still flexible. Pat the bacon off lightly so there is not a lot of grease. And use that as a filling! Especially good when combined with avocado! I’m not joking, it’s really quite good.

    Also easy to make at home if you can’t get sushi fish:
    -Philly rolls: Avocado, cream cheese (lowfat works great if you’re cutting the fats down in your diet), and smoked salmon (check the package, it’s really easy to get wild Alaskan salmon in smoked form). Hint: Stick the cream cheese in the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes before cutting it so that it slices neatly!
    -cooked fresh shitake mushrooms
    -if you like asparagus, broiled asparagus then cooled is a good filling.
    -avocado is always a winner!
    -“Fake” spicy crunchy tuna. Use canned light albacore and mix to your liking: sesame seed oil, “rooster” sauce, lowfat mayo, panko breadcrumbs.
    – cucumber!
    – California rolls of course are easy to make at home.

    By the way: Bacon sushi is the way I introduced my very traditional parents to sushi and to their surprise they found they liked it! Now they will hesitantly try some of the other kinds.

    Quote:

    Thanks for that link Jen! I know I have a little card I carry with me, though it is hard sometimes when places don’t list or mention where they get their fish from, especially if there is a language barrier. 🙁

    I understand all too well! Usually you have to ask because most places don’t label the seafood origins. Even then, often the waitstaff aren’t sure or there is indeed a language barrier. (“Is this wild caught salmon?” “Yes, salmon.” “But is it wild caught or farmed salmon?” “Yes, sake… salmon” happens all too often. x_x I wish I had a better grasp on language so I could ask properly..!!) I do my best to be safe. At least with a few species on the list you know they are off limits no matter what their origin (bluefin tunas! 😥 ).

    I'm here to help! Time sensitive issues: See a spammer? Website going haywire? email me! nambroth at gmail.com

    #838534

    siberakh1
    Participant

    OMG…. bacon sushi? That sounds AWESOME. Hehe… guess the Sh*ttake sets off the ‘mooseberries’ to show up. *lol*

    Yeah, Tuna is the hard one for me. I love Tuna (and O-Toro), but there are other species of Tuna out there that are also tasty and not quite on the verge of extinction, like Albacore. I wish that some of those other species would be used more. I’d like to know if what I order is in that yellow list versus the red list. Salmon I’ve seen listed on some menus the source, which is nice, but it can be hard sometimes.

    Koishii, umi is good (I’m certain I ordered that before). 🙂

    #838535

    Grayfire_artz
    Participant

    siberakh1 wrote:

    OMG…. bacon sushi? That sounds AWESOME. Hehe… guess the Sh*ttake sets off the ‘mooseberries’ to show up. *lol*

    Yeah, Tuna is the hard one for me. I love Tuna (and O-Toro), but there are other species of Tuna out there that are also tasty and not quite on the verge of extinction, like Albacore. I wish that some of those other species would be used more. I’d like to know if what I order is in that yellow list versus the red list. Salmon I’ve seen listed on some menus the source, which is nice, but it can be hard sometimes.

    Koishii, umi is good (I’m certain I ordered that before). 🙂
    i love umi 😀 koishii thinks it’s strange though 😉

    #838536

    siberakh1
    Participant

    I think the little fish eggs are yummy. Fun to roll around and pop on your tongue too. 😈

    #838537

    Hannah
    Participant

    I’ve never tried Umi – now I’m going to have to go look it up!!

    Thanks for the link Jen, luckily I did find out that my favorite sushi place uses AK wild salmon for the rolls that I get the most often 🙂

    I’ve been on a real sushi kick lately too, I know I shouldn’t eat too much of it but it’s too yummy!!

    Commission spots are open! Please message me for details.

    Please visit Cuddly Clay to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

    #838538

    Jennifer
    Keymaster

    Yeral wrote:

    I’ve never tried Umi – now I’m going to have to go look it up!!

    Thanks for the link Jen, luckily I did find out that my favorite sushi place uses AK wild salmon for the rolls that I get the most often 🙂

    I’ve been on a real sushi kick lately too, I know I shouldn’t eat too much of it but it’s too yummy!!

    How excellent! That made my day to hear, as silly as it seems. 🙂

    I'm here to help! Time sensitive issues: See a spammer? Website going haywire? email me! nambroth at gmail.com

    #838539

    Elena
    Participant

    I’m allergic to anything even remotely fishy/seafoody. Though I have heard there is vegetarian sushi and it would be interesting to try, but never been able to find any.

    #838540

    Jennifer
    Keymaster

    foxfeather wrote:

    I’m allergic to anything even remotely fishy/seafoody. Though I have heard there is vegetarian sushi and it would be interesting to try, but never been able to find any.

    Most places that serve sushi will serve veggie sushi too. Sushi actually refers to the rice, not the fish! Avocado, cuccumber, asparagus, sh!take mushroom, and carrot are some of the more common veggies you can get in sushi.

    Alternatively, veggie sushi is very easy to make at home!

    I'm here to help! Time sensitive issues: See a spammer? Website going haywire? email me! nambroth at gmail.com

    #838541

    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

    OMG! SUSHI!!! :yum: nom nom nom!

    I love Phillyrolls, I know the tuna is usually smoked, but they are my absolute favorite!

    AUH!!! Now I want some *pout* A place just opened walking distance from me and it’s actually pretty good! I’ll have to grab some now tomorrow on my way home from work. 8)

    siberakh and I actually have gone there together once. It was delicious!

    Got a busted dragon? There isn't a Windstone that I can't fix! - drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
    *OPEN for repairs on a limited basis. Happy to help with DIY questions - PM me*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.