fbpx

Sushi

Home Forums Miscellany Food Sushi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    Participant

Lovers? Haters? I have a craving for sushi tonight – California Rolls (I know, it’s cheating) and something with Salmon sounds really good.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Hannah
      Participant

Purplecat
        Participant

I LOVE sushi!!! Especially any roll with smoked salmon or lobster in it! Tuna is also a favorite. I love trying new rolls. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Jennifer
          Keymaster

I love sushi!

But, I do my very best to stick to the Seafood watch, because very sadly we (humans) are really causing serious harm to the oceans right now, and it’d break my heart to contribute to it. Right now they say that unless we stop that all bluefin tuna fish will be gone by next year, for example πŸ™

Here’s a guide:
            http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_sushi_restaurant.aspx

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Grayfire_artz
            Participant

aaaaaaah i love suuuuuuuuuuushi! πŸ˜€
              have you ever had uni?

siberakh1
              Participant

I ADORE sushi. I need to make some at home at some point, so I can show my mom that there are other things besides raw fish for sushi (sushi really just refers to vinegared rice anyways, and much of the original sushi eaten long ago were pickled items).

Thanks for that link Jen! I know I have a little card I carry with me, though it is hard sometimes when places don’t list or mention where they get their fish from, especially if there is a language barrier. πŸ™

Jennifer
                Keymaster

siberakh1 wrote:

I ADORE sushi. I need to make some at home at some point, so I can show my mom that there are other things besides raw fish for sushi (sushi really just refers to vinegared rice anyways, and much of the original sushi eaten long ago were pickled items).

Some of the best ‘make at home’ sushi that I can make (I cannot get sushi fish here, sadly, where I live so I must use other things) I learned from Melody. Bacon sushi! No, really! Cook your bacon, I like to use the oven with aluminum foil, so that it’s done but not super crispy. Just so it’s still flexible. Pat the bacon off lightly so there is not a lot of grease. And use that as a filling! Especially good when combined with avocado! I’m not joking, it’s really quite good.

Also easy to make at home if you can’t get sushi fish:
                  -Philly rolls: Avocado, cream cheese (lowfat works great if you’re cutting the fats down in your diet), and smoked salmon (check the package, it’s really easy to get wild Alaskan salmon in smoked form). Hint: Stick the cream cheese in the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes before cutting it so that it slices neatly!
                  -cooked fresh shitake mushrooms
                  -if you like asparagus, broiled asparagus then cooled is a good filling.
                  -avocado is always a winner!
                  -“Fake” spicy crunchy tuna. Use canned light albacore and mix to your liking: sesame seed oil, “rooster” sauce, lowfat mayo, panko breadcrumbs.
                  – cucumber!
                  – California rolls of course are easy to make at home.

By the way: Bacon sushi is the way I introduced my very traditional parents to sushi and to their surprise they found they liked it! Now they will hesitantly try some of the other kinds.

Quote:

Thanks for that link Jen! I know I have a little card I carry with me, though it is hard sometimes when places don’t list or mention where they get their fish from, especially if there is a language barrier. πŸ™

I understand all too well! Usually you have to ask because most places don’t label the seafood origins. Even then, often the waitstaff aren’t sure or there is indeed a language barrier. (“Is this wild caught salmon?” “Yes, salmon.” “But is it wild caught or farmed salmon?” “Yes, sake… salmon” happens all too often. x_x I wish I had a better grasp on language so I could ask properly..!!) I do my best to be safe. At least with a few species on the list you know they are off limits no matter what their origin (bluefin tunas! πŸ˜₯ ).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

siberakh1
                  Participant

OMG…. bacon sushi? That sounds AWESOME. Hehe… guess the Sh*ttake sets off the ‘mooseberries’ to show up. *lol*

Yeah, Tuna is the hard one for me. I love Tuna (and O-Toro), but there are other species of Tuna out there that are also tasty and not quite on the verge of extinction, like Albacore. I wish that some of those other species would be used more. I’d like to know if what I order is in that yellow list versus the red list. Salmon I’ve seen listed on some menus the source, which is nice, but it can be hard sometimes.

Koishii, umi is good (I’m certain I ordered that before). πŸ™‚

Grayfire_artz
                    Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

OMG…. bacon sushi? That sounds AWESOME. Hehe… guess the Sh*ttake sets off the ‘mooseberries’ to show up. *lol*

Yeah, Tuna is the hard one for me. I love Tuna (and O-Toro), but there are other species of Tuna out there that are also tasty and not quite on the verge of extinction, like Albacore. I wish that some of those other species would be used more. I’d like to know if what I order is in that yellow list versus the red list. Salmon I’ve seen listed on some menus the source, which is nice, but it can be hard sometimes.

Koishii, umi is good (I’m certain I ordered that before). πŸ™‚
                      i love umi πŸ˜€ koishii thinks it’s strange though πŸ˜‰

siberakh1
                      Participant

I think the little fish eggs are yummy. Fun to roll around and pop on your tongue too. 😈

Hannah
                        Participant

I’ve never tried Umi – now I’m going to have to go look it up!!

Thanks for the link Jen, luckily I did find out that my favorite sushi place uses AK wild salmon for the rolls that I get the most often πŸ™‚

I’ve been on a real sushi kick lately too, I know I shouldn’t eat too much of it but it’s too yummy!!

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Yeral wrote:

I’ve never tried Umi – now I’m going to have to go look it up!!

Thanks for the link Jen, luckily I did find out that my favorite sushi place uses AK wild salmon for the rolls that I get the most often πŸ™‚

I’ve been on a real sushi kick lately too, I know I shouldn’t eat too much of it but it’s too yummy!!

How excellent! That made my day to hear, as silly as it seems. πŸ™‚

Elena
                            Participant

I’m allergic to anything even remotely fishy/seafoody. Though I have heard there is vegetarian sushi and it would be interesting to try, but never been able to find any.

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

foxfeather wrote:

I’m allergic to anything even remotely fishy/seafoody. Though I have heard there is vegetarian sushi and it would be interesting to try, but never been able to find any.

Most places that serve sushi will serve veggie sushi too. Sushi actually refers to the rice, not the fish! Avocado, cuccumber, asparagus, sh!take mushroom, and carrot are some of the more common veggies you can get in sushi.

Alternatively, veggie sushi is very easy to make at home!

drag0nfeathers
                                Participant

OMG! SUSHI!!! :yum: nom nom nom!

I love Phillyrolls, I know the tuna is usually smoked, but they are my absolute favorite!

AUH!!! Now I want some *pout* A place just opened walking distance from me and it’s actually pretty good! I’ll have to grab some now tomorrow on my way home from work. 8)

siberakh and I actually have gone there together once. It was delicious!

Got a busted Windstone?
                                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.