fbpx

Stupid Winter Parking Laws!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Stupid Winter Parking Laws!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Well, I’m one of those unfortunate people who has to park in the street. I have no driveway I can use as the place where I am living is a house converted into 4 apartments. So there IS a driveway, but it’s chock full of cars owned by the landlord and his granddaughter. Soooo…..the law in this town says you can’t park in the street when there is 3 or more inches of snow. Hmmm……so….WHERE THE HECK DO YOU PARK THEN??
    There’s a school lot my brother says we can park in…BUT…it’s not available 10pm to 7am. So if the storm starts ealier again, WHERE DO YOU PARK?

I can understand WHY they do this law for the sake of the plows, but this is really a huge problem to us who don’t have driveways we can use.

Does anyone else have laws like this in their state? And if so what do you do about it?

ARG, it’s so frustrating! 😑

LadyFirebird
    Participant

Could your landlord help with this? Maybe he/she could explain to the City or whoever that there really is no place for his/her tenants to park. Don’t know if he/she could help but you are paying rent to them and should be entitled to park somewhere. Doesn’t snow where I’m at but there is a law in my city that you can’t block a driveway–even if it’s your own house!

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Yeah, we have this law as well. You may want to look into the laws regarding renting in NJ- I am fairly certain that here at least a landlord must provide a parking option that is not on the street.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Adaneth
        Participant

That’s really tough! πŸ™ Here in Minnesota in the cities there are certain streets that can’t be parked on, and the remainder you have to stay off either one side or the other during a ‘snow emergency’ but there’s always another side/cross-street to park on. I hope your landlord can come up with something–it’s hardly the first winter to hit NJ, after all. πŸ™„

Katherine
          Participant

That is hard! I would check with your state’s landlord/tenant laws, and then ask the landlord about it as well. Good luck, and I hope it gets resolved!

Lokie
            Participant

We have a similar problem here with too many residents with cars, not enough space in the driveway, and a street parking ban during snow storms. Some things I’ve done in the past included parking at the elementary school several blocks away (available except during school hours), parking on the sidewalk, and tearing the fence leading into the “backyard” down and parking in there (a pain because everyone blocks you in >.< ). Now, however, one of my neighbors has been disabled and hasn't been able to drive much, so last year (and most likely this year) she let us park behind her car in her driveway. So kind of her!

I totally understand your frustration; It’s aggravating trying to figure out where you are going to park each storm. I hope you can work something out with your landlord!

A neighbor here has no problem with us using her driveway! πŸ™‚ One of my brother’s friends told us to call her.
              So, for now, there is somewhere to park!

By the by we have no lease with this landlord. So his obligation to give us a parking space is pretty much squat.

Maria
              Participant

Professional curiosity here, D4L – how does it work that you’re living in an apartment without a lease? (I mean besides on mutual agreement.) Doesn’t that mean he could kick you out if he wanted, or you could get away with not paying a certain amount of rent…? Sounds like a rather fickle situation. πŸ˜•

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Professional curiosity here, D4L – how does it work that you’re living in an apartment without a lease? (I mean besides on mutual agreement.) Doesn’t that mean he could kick you out if he wanted, or you could get away with not paying a certain amount of rent…? Sounds like a rather fickle situation. πŸ˜•

I honestly don’t know. But I’m sharing this apartment with my brother and my brother has already been here about six years and there’s not been any major issues that way. At times it’s taken him forever and a day to fix something (or he just doesn’t) but yeah…I think you don’t have to have a lease here in my town but I’m not sure how the law works with that. πŸ˜•

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.