fbpx

Stephanie's PYOs – "Bisbee Twilight" Keeper pg 3.

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Stephanie's PYOs – "Bisbee Twilight" Keeper pg 3.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

Stephanie
      Participant

Glee! I got my PYOs yesterday, and have painted for many hours to get my muse to this stage. The one on the left is mine, and the one on the right is my husband’s. I’m so happy with mine – I love her! All that’s left is some detailing, and then I’m going to get a stiff drink and try some antiquing. I’m terrified of that, but I’ll try it on the hair first, I think. Anyway, here they are!

Stephanie
        Participant

Alright, I tried to antique and it seems to have failed.

What did I do wrong? I painted on the antiquing, then waited until it was tacky, and wiped it off with a natural sponge. Did I let it set too long? Did I not let it set long enough?

Thanks!

Kujacker
          Participant

Hmmm interesting. When I antique, I use a paint thinner to thin the paint down. Brush it on, wipe it off. I don’t ever let it sit on the sculpture… but that’s just me.
            Some people like to use antiquing gel, but I’ve never used it before…

Skigod377
            Participant

Hmmm… I dont know. Try rubbing it on w/your finger and then doing the same to wipe it off. That might work better. I think a sponge took too much off. Cute muses by the way. πŸ˜‰

Heather
              Participant

Also, when you wipe the antiquing off, wipe it up against the direction of the scales, or across the lines of the feathers and hair. That leaves more of it in the grooves of the carving. Experiment with different wiping materials. Lots of people have had good luck with a damp (not wet) paper towel. The second favorite method uses a fingertip. I’ve used the DecoArt antiquing stain with good results on my Muse; currently I’m experimenting with thinned paint and following Koishii’s tutorial. Good luck! πŸ™‚

Stephanie
                Participant

Alright, I’ll try all those suggestions. Thanks! πŸ™‚

dragonmedley
                  Participant

I use the gel: 1/3 gel, 1/3 water and 1/3 paint. I brush it on and remove it with dry paper towel. I tear the paper towel in a bunch of pieces.

What I now do is seal the paint before antiquing to avoid removing the paint too. Once it’s all dry again, then I clear coat a second time.

The first times I antiqued, I had the wet sponge and swore quite a bit!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Stephanie
                    Participant

I decided not to antique this guy, so I finished him today. He’s very simple because I didn’t want to get too detailed with my first one. That’ll come next. πŸ™‚ I love him, so simple and elegant.

What do you think?

πŸ™‚

Stephanie
                      Participant

Looks Allllright! Now I have to think long and hard… I just painted a blue eyed dragon pearl white! lol I was trying to think of what to add next! πŸ˜› I am thinking add black, blue, and purple!

Stephanie
                        Participant

Alright, my friend came over and we had a craft field day. We met at the craft store at 9 am, and she just now left at 9 pm. We did tons of stuff, and one of the things I did was my griffin! I love the way he turned out. He’s antiqued and I made a royal mess doing it. It’s very sloppily done but I still love him and how he turned out. πŸ™‚

Stephanie
                          Participant

Serenity wrote:

Looks Allllright! Now I have to think long and hard… I just painted a blue eyed dragon pearl white! lol I was trying to think of what to add next! πŸ˜› I am thinking add black, blue, and purple!

That sounds beautiful!

Heather
                            Participant

The antiquing added some nice depth to your griffin, and complimented his colors very well. I like the pinkish-dun shade you chose for his fur, and the white mask is striking. Cool idea! πŸ™‚

Stephanie
                              Participant

Barrdwing wrote:

The antiquing added some nice depth to your griffin, and complimented his colors very well. I like the pinkish-dun shade you chose for his fur, and the white mask is striking. Cool idea! πŸ™‚

Thank you! πŸ˜€ The bottom is a very light sable. The white was by accident. I painted all I could with him sitting upright and was waiting for him to dry so I could pick him up to do the detail on the head and went…wait a minute, that looks good!

Stephanie
                                Participant

Stephanie wrote:

Serenity wrote:

That sounds beautiful!

LOL it went in a differnt direction… all I will say now is “WOOF WOOF!” lol I’ll post pictures later! heehee! πŸ˜‰

OH and the griffin looks pretty!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.