Steen's Spicy Chicken Fajitas ^_^

Home Forums Miscellany Food Steen's Spicy Chicken Fajitas ^_^

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

So I was trying to find a good recipe for spicing up chicken for fajitas and i didn’t find one that i had all the ingredients to so i compared a bunch for common elements and used the spices i thought would taste good ^_^ The result was really nice and spicy (but not burn-your-face-off spicy LOL) and i thought i’d share it with you guys because it was simple and it’s pretty healthy as well 😀

Steen’s Spicy Chicken Fajitas
    Prep time: 30 mins
    Cook time: 20 mins

Ingredients:
    1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 Tbsp of oil (can be corn or canola or olive, your choice)
    1&1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp red pepper
    1/8 tsp tabasco sauce
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 package of tortillas

Optional Ingredients to go with the chicken: Salsa, sour cream, grated cheese, lettuce, other vegetables as you like

Directions: Slice the green pepper and the onion into thin strips and set aside in a bowl. Put the oil in a small bowl and add in the chili powder, garlic powder, salt, red pepper and tabasco sauce (if you like a much more spicy chicken, add more tabasco sauce to your liking). Take the chicken and slice it into small, thin strips then put them in a bowl for easy transportation. Get a large skillet/frying pan and put it on your stovetop element on medium-high (my stovetop goes to 9 and I put it on 4 then slowly turned it up to 5) with a light spray of Pam or oil. Put the chicken in the pan and then drizzle the oil sauce on top of the chicken. Use a spatula to move the chicken around and to get the sauce spread as evenly as possible. Flip the chicken around every few minutes to ensure thorough cooking. While the chicken is cooking, put your sliced vegetables in another frying pan with a little bit of oil and saute them, until they are brown around the edges and the onions soft and translucent. When the chicken turns mostly brown on the outside and is white all the way through, the chicken is done!

Using a tortilla, pile on the chicken, cooked vegetables and optional ingredients to your liking and enjoy ^_^

This looks good! I’m going to give it a try when I get a chance.

Cool! Let me know how it turns out ^_^

Mos def!

Skigod377
    Participant

I wanna try it out, too, but I still have to try Mimis recipe! I can do both at the same time, maybe…

skigod377 wrote:

I wanna try it out, too, but I still have to try Mimis recipe! I can do both at the same time, maybe…

lol which one of hers?

Skigod377
      Participant

She actually sent me a whole bunch, but I copied and will paste one below. I tried to make some once and demolished them. Mimi sent me recipies, but I am not done licking my woulds from the last round, so it’ll be a bit before I try to make more.

Chicken Enchiladas with Chili Sauce

Mexican cooking is notoriously time-consuming but delivers rich, deep flavors. Could we produce a reasonably authentic chicken enchilada with far less work?
        The Problem: Chicken enchiladas are a complete meal that offers a rich and complex combination of flavors, textures, and ingredients. The problem with preparing enchiladas at home is that traditional cooking methods require a whole day of preparation.
        The Goal: A recipe for an Americanized version of chicken enchiladas that could be made in 90 minutes from start to finish.
        The Solution: To save time preparing the tortillas, spray them with vegetable oil and warm them on a baking sheet in the oven. For the sauce, use chili powder instead of whole dried chiles, and add other dried spices to enhance the flavor. Cook the chicken right in the sauce to add flavor to both. Use Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese in the filling, along with canned jalapenos and fresh cilantro. Serve with sour cream, romaine lettuce, and avocado. Start to finish, these chicken enchiladas take less than an hour and a half to make.

Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chile Sauce
        If you prefer, Monterey Jack can be used instead of cheddar, or, for a mellower flavor and creamier texture, try substituting an equal amount of farmers’ cheese.

10 enchiladas, serving 4 or 5

Sauce and Filling
        1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil or corn oil
        1 medium onion ,chopped fine (about 1 cup)
        3 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
        3 tablespoons chili powder
        2 teaspoons ground coriander
        2 teaspoons ground cumin
        1/2 teaspoon table salt
        2 teaspoons granulated sugar
        12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4 thighs), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
        2 cans tomato sauce (8 ounces each)
        1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
        1 can (4 ounces) pickled jalapeños , drained and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
        8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , grated (2 cups)

Tortillas and Toppings
        10 corn tortillas (six-inch)
        Vegetable cooking spray
        3 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (3/4 cup)
        3/4 cup sour cream
        1 avocado , diced medium
        5 leaves romaine lettuce washed, dried, and shredded
        2 limes , quartered

1. FOR THE SAUCE AND FILLING: Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt, and sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until coated with spices, about 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water; stir to separate chicken pieces. Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and flavors have melded, about 8 minutes. Pour mixture through medium-mesh strainer into medium bowl, pressing on chicken and onions to extract as much sauce as possible; set sauce aside. Transfer chicken mixture to large plate; freeze for 10 minutes to cool, then combine with cilantro, jalapenos, and cheese in medium bowl and set aside.
        2. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 300 degrees.
        3. TO ASSEMBLE: Follow illustrations below to heat tortillas and fill, roll, and sauce enchiladas. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake enchiladas on lower-middle rack until heated through and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover and serve immediately, passing sour cream, avocado, lettuce, and lime wedges separately.

That’s a really cool recipe, I love how it’s written! Thanks for that! 😀

I know what you mean about licking wounds, just today I totally fusted up this instant rice I was making because I was rushing LOL Stupid me!

That recipe is from my favorite recipe source, Cook’s Illustrated. All of their recipes are written like that, and they’re usually part of an article which explains how they tested and optimized the recipe. I really like reading the articles because they explain how and why the different ingredients affect the recipe, etc., and you get a good understanding of how things work. They have a resident food scientist that they consult with, so the articles also explain how things work from a scientific standpoint. Its really neat!

If you’re interested, check out the website. They give 2 week free trials.

That’s cool, thanks for the link! 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.