fbpx

Son of a bitch stew for lamortefille…

Home Forums Miscellany Food Son of a bitch stew for lamortefille…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

It should be noted that this is not a dish you would make from meats purchased from the grocery store. All of the ingredients should come from the same calf, fresh from the slaughter. It should be a young calf, not a grown animal.

This never was a precise recipe. The ingredients can be adjusted to what’s available or to personal taste.

Onions
        Carrots
        Celery
        Potatoes
        Beef
        Fat (can use shortening or cooking oil)
        Water or beef stock
        Salt & pepper
        Bay leaf
        Garlic
        Other vegetables (pea, squash, turnips, leeks, tomatoes – to taste)

Cube or dice the meat, trimming and discarding excess fat and gristle. Some of the fat can be rendered to produce the browning fat.

Heat the fat or oil in a Dutch oven until smoking. Add the meat and brown in the cooking fat, maintaining high heat. If the heat is too low, the meat will not seal in the juices, and the juices will cook out, preventing the meat from browning. Watch carefully and turn the meat often so that it browns and doesn’t burn.

Reduce the heat, add the vegetables and water or beef stock to cover. Add the bay leaf and a little salt and pepper. Add garlic if desired. If you are adding any soft or quick cooking vegetables reserve them until the end of the cooking cycle.

Bring to a light simmer, skim the foam, cover, and let stew for at least one hour and up to three hours, until the meat is tender. Obviously, if you are going to cook it the longer time, the vegetables will fall apart if they are added at the first, so save them until later in the cycle, but give them at least one to one and a half hours with the meat so flavors blend. If you like a thicker stew, flour the meat before browning. The flour will thicken the stew as it cooks.

Gram’pa’s note at the bottom of the page says; “When a calf was killed for meat, everything but the hair, hooves and holler were used, and the more perishable and least desirable pieces went into a Son of a Bitch Stew. In addition to some of the good meat, it included the heart, liver, sweetbreads, part of the gut called the ‘marrow gut’ and sometimes the brains of the animal. Every cook had his/her own recipe, but it was basically made the same as beef stew.” 😯

My note: I probably had this at Gram’ma and Gram’pa’s when I was little, but I don’t remember it if I did. Once the family stopped ranching there was no access to freshly slaughtered beef.

Enjoy!

twindragonsmum

tdm

lamortefille
        Participant

Well I don’t have the calf or the dutch oven! 😯 πŸ˜†

I find the whole thing very interesting, though. Thanks for posting it! πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum
          Participant

Any time! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum

tdm

Maria
            Participant

Haha! I was already worried we were going Chinese here. Neat recipe!

lamortefille
              Participant

You want Persian Platter? πŸ˜†

Maria
                Participant

What’s that?

lamortefille
                  Participant

That was a very bad joke. πŸ˜† Chinese food – Persian (cat) Platter. No whiskers, please. πŸ˜‰

No offense intended. ❗

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

lamortefille wrote:

That was a very bad joke. πŸ˜† Chinese food – Persian (cat) Platter. No whiskers, please. πŸ˜‰

No offense intended. ❗

When my grandparents (dad’s folks) were newly married their next door neighbors were chinese. They became very good friends and would frequently have dinner at each other’s homes. One evening the chinese couple invited Gram’ma & Gram’pa for a supper of rabbit stew. Gram’pa said it was the best rabbit stew he’d ever had, but where had they found fresh rabbit in Southern California? Their friend replied “Evlee night labbit come to back door; meow meow” 😯 😯 😯

twindragonsmum

tdm

Purplecat
                      Participant

How’d they mix up a cat with a rabbit? A bob-tailed, long eared cat? 😯 😯 😯

lamortefille
                        Participant

ACK!!! 😯

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

No idea, 😯 but Gram’pa swears it was true and Gram’ma backs him up! Gram’pa is known to be a bit of a leg puller, but not Gram’ma.

twindragonsmum

tdm

Maria
                            Participant

Hahaha! That’s too funny. πŸ˜†

keschete
                              Participant

I have an old fashioned cast iron dutch oven and I am gonna try this recipe tonight, obviously, I did have to buy meat from the grocery store and I got a sirloin roast. So I will try it out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.