fbpx

Smoke smell

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Smoke smell

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fritochick (Mary)
    Participant

Hi-I was wondering how to get rid of a smoke smell on a windstone. I was informed my new sculpt will smell of smoke when it arrives. HELP!!!

Kalandra
      Participant

Hey FC ๐Ÿ™‚

I worked on a repair that was from a smokers home (I do not smoke)
        and this repair was bought by a non-smoker, and sent directly to me.

so when this very large Windstone arrived, I wanted to get started right away…. The smell was alful and inbedded on this piece, it took several months for the odor to go away…I also gently wiped this Windstone down with a damp cloth to try to remove as much of the smell as I could.

But overall really it was just time that seemed to help.

๐Ÿ™‚

Kalandra

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Time is the best cure, but if you want the smell to go away faster than that (very understandable!), there are a few things you can do!

First is to remove any dust and debris; porous material holds smoke smell better than non-porous. Unfortunately this means that the felt pad usually holds the smell the longest.
          If the surface of the Windstone still smells strongly of smoke, you can gently wipe it down with a damp, soft, clean cloth to help remove any nicotine residue. Note: Do NOT do this if it’s a ruby or red fire dragon!! The pain can come off! (eek!)

The cheap and easy way: Put the windstone in some fresh air for a while. It takes time but it will go away.

The slightly more complicated way that works faster: To further deodorize, you can purchase some activated carbon/charcoal. You can get this in the pet section of any big chain store, in the fish supplies. Some places sell it in the health section as well, but it will be more expensive than in the fish section. Buy the cheapest activated carbon they have since you won’t be eating it or putting it in a fish tank! A small amount will do. Even cheaper- if you know someone with fish ask if you can have a small cup full. Anyhow, you can do a number of things here. Place your windstone in an airtight bag (freezer bags work unless it’s a big windstone) with the carbon. I’d recommend putting it in there on its side so that the felt pad is exposed. You can put the carbon in an old piece of pantyhose, or just loose in a paper cup, or any way that you can put it in with the windstone so that it is open to the air. The carbon is very good at absorbing odors over time. Leave it all sealed up for a week and then take a sniff and see if the smoke is still offending. If so, stir the carbon up and seal it for another week.

Stay away from Febreze; it’s pretty much a chemical cocktail and while it does bind odors in a way that cover them up, it’s temporary for a surface like a Windstone. Additionally, it’s unknown if the chemicals might have long term effects on the different paints that Windstone uses.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Christine
          Participant

Fantastic advice! Newsprint absorbs odor as well, you might try wrapping your Windstone in clean newsprint, sealing him up in a bag for a week, and see if he doesn’t smell much better. The newsprint on the other hand…will stink! ๐Ÿ™‚

I would try the carbon first though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.