fbpx

Shady? Sellers

Home Forums Administration Flea Market Shady? Sellers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    briteblades
    Participant

Question for you all! Been browsing ebay and I see some sellers that use the Windstone store pictures for the item they are selling. Is that a warning sign?
      I would feel more comfortable, personally, seeing the EXACT item I would be bidding on or purchasing.
      What are your opinions about it?

I think it is shady. I’m with you, I would rather see the picture of the actual item.

scenceable
      Participant

One time on a classifieds site, someone had a stock photo of an empea male, and I went through all this nonsense to get my aunt who lived closer to drive all the way out there to get the dragon, and it was just regular peacock. The person didn’t think there was a difference.

Also a lot of people tend to use the ravenheart database photos, another issue. It’s a big warning sign, you can’t see condition, colour, or even if the seller actually owns the item at all.

This is a random example, but on the My Little Pony forum there was a seller who popped up randomly with the same photo of Mimic (rare pony, $100+) and sold her to several people, took everyone’s money, and never owned the Mimic in the first place.

Even if they aren’t trying to hide flaws or scam people, why wouldn’t they have a photo? No camera? Laziness? Either way it’s kind of unprofessional… like if they don’t put care in writing the listing and getting photos what kind of care would they take in packing the item? It’s different on the forum where everyone knows each other and it’s more informal, but on ebay I would really hesitate to buy from a stock photo listing for a windstone. If it was a CD or book, whatever, but not a windstone.

You can always ask the seller for real photos, maybe they just haven’t taken any yet or something. 🙂

WolfenMachine
        Participant

Yeah, even if it is a common piece, like a dragon gargoyle or peacock dragon, I would want to see the EXACT piece, because colors differ from piece to piece. Even some of the stone pieces have a little blush to them, or heavier or lighter antiqueing, and people have preferences. Like, Kalandra has an Amethyst OW who looks very different than mine. Hers doesn’t have a pink nose, where as mine does. (pictures here: http://windstoneeditions.com/forum/photos-new-and-camera-shy-windstones ) So I’d want to see photos of the acutal item. ALTHOUGH, when sellers do use stock images, you have a greater course of action if the item arrives and has chips or something-you can file an “item not as described” claim and probably get your money back, or, if the seller is willing, give you at leat a partial refund.

PurpleTurtle
          Participant

Yeah, I think it’s kinda shady, if not, definitely unprofessional. I will never bid or buy any item from ebay if it doesn’t have an actual picture of it especially if it’s a collectible – like a Windstone. And I go a bit further and want to see several pictures of it from all sides. I have had the misfortune in purchasing pieces that had “hidden” damage not showcased in the listing. I’ve learned my lesson since then.

littleironhorse
            Participant

Hmm, I don’t know. In most cases, I wouldn’t call it shady, probably just lazy.

If it’s a piece I’m interested in, I’ll contact the seller and ask for several pictures of the actual item. The vast majority of the times, they’ll send them and the item will be as described. In a couple of instances, the seller has misidentified the color, and in one case the model (called a Lap and OW). But I think that the mistakes were made out of ignorance rather than willfull misdirection.

But if a seller won’t send pictures or doesn’t reply to my message, I don’t bid.

This is a very good point…!

fatalbeauty
              Participant

sadly pictures don’t help at times, I bought two babies off a person on ebay, it was said that they only had paint scuffs….what I couldn’t see in the pictures taken was both have a chip out of their nostril and one has a big chunk out of the bottom of the hoof….

but both are due to be repaints so it shouldn’t be noticeable….

4 things I'm looking for:
                1. Mother Meerkat
                2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.