fbpx

Scammed–A Craiglist Story

Home Forums Miscellany Community Scammed–A Craiglist Story

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

LadyFirebird wrote:

I was amazed at the amount of money this girl had in her checking accounting. At that age if I had $500 in my checking accounting, I thought I was rich!

Me too! Heck I felt head over heels if I was able to keep more than $20 in my account that wasn’t ‘already spent’ on incoming bills.

….. Wait, I still feel that way!! ๐Ÿ˜†

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

LadyFirebird
      Participant

Well I just printed out and gave a copy of 419 eaters to my boss to send to his daughter to give to that roommate of hers. Asked him why this girl would fall for something like this–I mean, didn’t it seem obvious. Well it seems to be more to this story than that–he didn’t go into details but she was dealing with an ‘old’ lady or what seemed to be an old lady that laid some sob story on her. My boss admitted that after listening to this story, he would have felt sorry for the ‘old’ woman but not enough to just up and write her a check for $1,800! So there is a story that I don’t even know and my boss didn’t have time to tell. So it wasn’t just an up and write a check for $1,800 like it originally sounded–I told him she should have just returned the check to the poor ‘old’ woman to have her write another one for the correct amount and she would never hear from this woman again. But he said he’d check out the website–can see him doing some stuff with it–we are always getting these faxes about Nigerian princes who need help redistributing their funds and we’re the only ones who could help or the poor widow who is having trouble accessing her husband’s money and we would be doing her a great service blah, blah, blah….you know the story!

Crimson Vision
        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Crimson Vision wrote:

Even if she went to her bank and tried to cash the check most likely she would be able to. Banks will cash them for you and *then* process them so you don’t find out till a week or more later that the check was actually bad and you are responsible for the money.

Oh, really? Checks aren’t used here in Europe so I don’t know much about how the system works.

Yup. It really depends on the banks rules on checks but alot of the time the scammers are pretty high tech and can forge checks really well so the bank thinks it’s legit and since the casher has an account there they give them the money for it before processing.

Lokie
          Participant

Crimson Vision wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Oh, really? Checks aren’t used here in Europe so I don’t know much about how the system works.

Yup. It really depends on the banks rules on checks but alot of the time the scammers are pretty high tech and can forge checks really well so the bank thinks it’s legit and since the casher has an account there they give them the money for it before processing.
            This convo makes me think maybe that’s one reason so many individuals are falling victim to these scams. I’ve known it can take up to two weeks (and recently learned it can take up to a month!) for a bank to discover and then inform the recipient that a check didn’t clear/is fraudulent. But if banks aren’t informing young new customers signing up for accounts about this (and parents aren’t teaching this to their kids as well) then maybe they assume once the bank “cashes” a check, then it’s legit. ๐Ÿ˜•

LadyFirebird
            Participant

It’s just sad you have to warn your children to be aware of everything around them! Like you can’t trust anyone. Thing is that older people, who should know better, also fall prey to scams. It’s unfortunate all the way around–like is there any ‘good’ people left–besides here on the forum?

Maria
              Participant

Jennifer wrote:

LadyFirebird wrote:

I was amazed at the amount of money this girl had in her checking accounting. At that age if I had $500 in my checking accounting, I thought I was rich!

Me too! Heck I felt head over heels if I was able to keep more than $20 in my account that wasn’t ‘already spent’ on incoming bills.

….. Wait, I still feel that way!! ๐Ÿ˜†

Psst, Nam – put up some more jewelry. *hint hint* ๐Ÿ˜ณ

WolfenMachine
                Participant

Crimson Vision wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Crimson Vision wrote:

Even if she went to her bank and tried to cash the check most likely she would be able to. Banks will cash them for you and *then* process them so you don’t find out till a week or more later that the check was actually bad and you are responsible for the money.

Yea, just watch the movie “Catch Me if You Can” ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been looking for a job (since I found out my other one was only for 2 days ๐Ÿ™‚ and one of the 2 replies back was a scam like that too. From Anna Petrova in Russia. It was a “real job” and I could “work from home” for their interior design company. Complete with website and all. I started thinking it might be legit until she started mentioning transferring money and bank accounts etc. The other reply I got back was forsomething similar from a trucking company in El Paso. And yes, both of these people posted their “job” want ads on Craigslist!

Lokie wrote:

But if banks aren’t informing young new customers signing up for accounts about this (and parents aren’t teaching this to their kids as well) then maybe they assume once the bank “cashes” a check, then it’s legit. ๐Ÿ˜•

*blush* Yea no one told me that. I figured if it cashed it was good. I had no idea it could take up to a month

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Trying to wait till I can afford some more silver! Hehe story of my life right. ๐Ÿ™‚ I will probably just suck it up and purchase some on the credit card tonight and hope I make it back.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Maria
                    Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Trying to wait till I can afford some more silver! Hehe story of my life right. ๐Ÿ™‚ I will probably just suck it up and purchase some on the credit card tonight and hope I make it back.

I’m just waiting to pounce, you know.

@Wolfen: Two days?! So much for that – I’m sorry. I hope the next job lasts longer than that!

NirvanaCat13
                      Participant

Found this on Yahoo news this morning, thought it was relevant and interesting, enjoy!

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/107794/hurry-up-and-credit-my-account.html?mod=bb-budgeting

Should have just had the check canceled and wrote another for the correct amount. I’ve had to stop payment on checks before…It’s annoying and costs ya, but not $1800… ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜•

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.