fbpx

Repairs I – Look for updates in new Repair II thread

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Repairs I – Look for updates in new Repair II thread

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 470 total)
  • Author

Leigha wrote:

emerald lap dragon…waaaaaaaaaaaaaant…. πŸ˜₯

She is quite lovely, but I think drgnlvr wants her back. πŸ™‚

Kyrin

Stephanie
    Participant

Beautiful work!

Jodi
      Participant

Leigha wrote:

I recently got a mint one on Ebay for around $100. Keep looking… they come up there sometimes. πŸ™‚

kitsunelady
        Participant

She’s so cute. I love the lap dragon. =) Good job on the repairs, as usual!

purpledragonclaw
          Participant

Your repair work is amazing! You can’t even tell they were damaged!

Leigha
            Participant

Kyrin wrote:

Leigha wrote:

She is quite lovely, but I think drgnlvr wants her back. πŸ™‚

Kyrin

oh, Drgnlvr didn’t tell you? oh yeah um…she said…that you can just send that lap dragon to me..because..uh..yeah…need my address?

😈

Leigha
              Participant

emerald212 wrote:

Leigha wrote:

I recently got a mint one on Ebay for around $100. Keep looking… they come up there sometimes. πŸ™‚

I think I was watching that one too, but had no way to pay even the 100 at the time πŸ™

Jodi
                Participant

Leigha wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Leigha wrote:

I think I was watching that one too, but had no way to pay even the 100 at the time πŸ™

It was the one in Hawaii. I’m sure she got a weather shock when she got to MN, and it was so darned cold!

Great work, Kyrin! I’m really not trying to heist your thread. I’m just excited to see how my Castle of the Hawks is coming along.

emerald212 wrote:

Leigha wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Leigha wrote:

It was the one in Hawaii. I’m sure she got a weather shock when she got to MN, and it was so darned cold!

Great work, Kyrin! I’m really not trying to heist your thread. I’m just excited to see how my Castle of the Hawks is coming along.

Well let’s see, I’ve fixed a couple little spots, but there is still a long way to go, I really could use some detailed shots of this castle for reference.

I also have a surprise, but I’m not telling until it is done.

Kyrin

Hi Kyrin,

If you don’t mind me asking, what are you using for filler? Specially for the larger voids.

Wyvern wrote:

Hi Kyrin,

If you don’t mind me asking, what are you using for filler? Specially for the larger voids.

Apoxie Sculpt…this is the greatest stuff ever.

You can get it here:
                  http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_Sculpt/apoxie_sculpt.html

And a little bit goes a long way, I’ve been using the same 1 lb supply for almost a year and still have about 1/2 a lb left. Though I will have to break down and buy some more soon.

Kyrin

Jodi
                  Participant

Kyrin wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Leigha wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Leigha wrote:

Well let’s see, I’ve fixed a couple little spots, but there is still a long way to go, I really could use some detailed shots of this castle for reference.

I also have a surprise, but I’m not telling until it is done.

Kyrin

Squee! Oh, I love surprises! πŸ˜€

Kyrin wrote:

Wyvern wrote:

Hi Kyrin,

Apoxie Sculpt…this is the greatest stuff ever.

You can get it here:
                    http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_Sculpt/apoxie_sculpt.html

And a little bit goes a long way, I’ve been using the same 1 lb supply for almost a year and still have about 1/2 a lb left. Though I will have to break down and buy some more soon.

Kyrin

I bought that stuff a while back and find its so sticky… I dont know how you make it work for yah ;p
                    and for me it kept melting back to a blob and not holding its shape.. do you think i mixed it wrong??
                    πŸ™‚
                    your work is so amazing!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚
                    Dr!!!

dkomenda wrote:

I bought that stuff a while back and find its so sticky… I dont know how you make it work for yah ;p
                    and for me it kept melting back to a blob and not holding its shape.. do you think i mixed it wrong??
                    πŸ™‚
                    your work is so amazing!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚
                    Dr!!!

It’s really sticky for the first hour, so I usually let it rest after I’ve mixed it throughly…after an hour it is more managable. Then you can dampen your fingers with water and go to work. I usually blob it on, get the general shape I want, then go back another hour later and fill in the details once it is getting near to being set.

Mixing is important, you need to make sure both parts are equal, I usually do this by rolling both portions into a ball, then comparing to make sure the balls are equal in size, adjust, then mix up, I just knead it to death, so there is no doubt that all of it is mixed really well.

My AS is getting older, so it isn’t near as wet as the newer stuff, and I’ve noticed my working time has been reduced as it ages, so keep that in mind as you use it up. Another thing that seems to help a lot with stickiness is cold, if you mix your AS up, then put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes, it isn’t as sticky and you can start on your project that much sooner.

Hope this info helps. Once you get used to working with this stuff, there isn’t anything you can’t do, I really love it.

Kyrin

I’ve been using Magic Sculp, it sounds very similar to Apoxie Sculp (two part mix, chemical cure, sticky, hehe and extremely durable when cured). What is the set texture of AS?
                    MS has a gloss set which is not ideal for taking paint.Nor does anything else like to adhere to the MS surface without more prep work.

I’ve tried adding about 10% polyclay, which has worked great on test pieces, but don’t know how the little guy will hold up to the 265 degrees of oven temperature needed to cure the poly. (So far he has taken 180 degrees and hopefully any moisture that was present is gone).

Dko, I think you’ll find most epoxies do not have the ability to hold shape. Usually I’ve used it exclusively with an armature. In Kyrin’s case, it is working great as a filler.

Anyways, it’s fun to experiment.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 470 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.