fbpx

Repairing Kirins, Gothic Unicorn, and Black Griffin

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Repairing Kirins, Gothic Unicorn, and Black Griffin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sarah
    Participant

Sarah
      Participant

Hi, I was hoping for some advice on paint matching. For chips I’ve read that Apoxie Sculpt is the best to use so I’ll be picking up some from the store today.

I have a Mother Kirin with a big chip out of the very front of her muzzle, and I’m really not sure how to match that beautiful pearl color.

I have a baby Kirin with a chip out of the hoof- the DecoArt Gold paint pen matches the gold and I figured I’d just mix brown acrylic to match the fur color, but if anyone has tips before I start that would be wonderful. πŸ˜€

I have a gothic unicorn with a chipped front hoof. Again I was assuming I’d just try to match by mixing acrylics but if anyone has tips… πŸ˜€

Also, a friend is giving me a black griffin that is severely damaged… lots of chunks out of it. I found in a previous thread that FolkArt’s Licorice Black is a good match… but what do people use to match the peacock coloring?

Lastly, is there any particular product people use to coat the repaired areas after repairs are complete? Or do you coat the whole sculpt?

Thanks in advance for any advice! πŸ˜€

Jennifer
        Keymaster

pawpad wrote:

I have a gothic unicorn with a chipped front hoof. Again I was assuming I’d just try to match by mixing acrylics but if anyone has tips… πŸ˜€

Also, a friend is giving me a black griffin that is severely damaged… lots of chunks out of it. I found in a previous thread that FolkArt’s Licorice Black is a good match… but what do people use to match the peacock coloring?

Lastly, is there any particular product people use to coat the repaired areas after repairs are complete? Or do you coat the whole sculpt?

I just repaired the hoof on a gothic unicorn- I got the perfect match by blending burnt umber with some titan buff, both are Golden brand. However, I probably wouldn’t recommend getting these two paints just for the hoof, unless you plan on using them for other things too. They are expensive to just use a drop or two of each!

For the griffin, Golden brand black (carbon or bone) mixed with some burnt umber is an exact match. The peacock coloration can be obtained by painting thinned layers of interference blue and interference violet over the black. Again, these are all expensive paints to get if you just need a few drops of each!

For repairs, I just use a clear brush on sealer/varnish (Golden and Liquitex make these) on the areas that I repaired, so that I don’t have to worry about masking the eyes/horns off. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Sarah
          Participant

Nambroth wrote:

pawpad wrote:

I just repaired the hoof on a gothic unicorn- I got the perfect match by blending burnt umber with some titan buff, both are Golden brand. However, I probably wouldn’t recommend getting these two paints just for the hoof, unless you plan on using them for other things too. They are expensive to just use a drop or two of each!

For the griffin, Golden brand black (carbon or bone) mixed with some burnt umber is an exact match. The peacock coloration can be obtained by painting thinned layers of interference blue and interference violet over the black. Again, these are all expensive paints to get if you just need a few drops of each!

For repairs, I just use a clear brush on sealer/varnish (Golden and Liquitex make these) on the areas that I repaired, so that I don’t have to worry about masking the eyes/horns off. πŸ™‚

Thank you so much, that is so helpful!
            Any clue what I could us for that Kirin’s pearl muzzle color?

Jennifer
            Keymaster

pawpad wrote:

I’m not sure… I have never owned a kirin so I can’t look to see what color it is. πŸ™ Photos ‘lie’ about color often so I wouldn’t trust my judgment of a photo of one. If no one else has a suggestion for you, you can ask Melody in the ‘Ask Melody’ section. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Sarah
              Participant

Nambroth wrote:

pawpad wrote:

I’m not sure… I have never owned a kirin so I can’t look to see what color it is. πŸ™ Photos ‘lie’ about color often so I wouldn’t trust my judgment of a photo of one. If no one else has a suggestion for you, you can ask Melody in the ‘Ask Melody’ section. πŸ™‚

Thanks Nam! You’re so right about the monitor color thing. If I don’t get any response I’ll post a question to Melody like you suggested.

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

I know that Deco art metallics champagne is a perfect match for the pearl dragons, maybe it would match the kirins too.

Sarah
                Participant

DragonMistress wrote:

I know that Deco art metallics champagne is a perfect match for the pearl dragons, maybe it would match the kirins too.

Oh thanks! I’ll try that and let you know if it works. πŸ˜€

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.