Ren questions…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Ren questions…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Ok…I am so new to this, that I have no idea what I am doing. But, I REALLY want a corset. I don’t want it to “hold me in” really, jsut for show. I want to be able to breath in the darn thing is what I mean. I have very narrow hips being almost 6 inches less than my bust measurement, my family handed down that wonderful barrel shape they all have, and my waist is the same size as my hips πŸ™„ . I do however think I want a boned one, not necessarily for training purposes tho. There is a guy on ebay who runs a store named mycloak or mycloaks, I don’t have the window open right now to it, so its one or the other. His name has Von in it somewhere too. I was wondering if anyone else had gotten a corset from him, or someone they knew had. I haven’t been to a fair before, but I am interested in going someday, and I jsut got a couple of chemises, from a lady who hand makes them. (It’s gonna be like getting them from Gramma… πŸ˜€ Sorta…) They are unbleached cotton, and I have a low bid in on a corset from the guy I was talking about…(wait, I’ll just go open the window and get the link to copy here to what I am bidding on.) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150445572265&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT There are other ones with full boning in them that he has that I want, but until I figure out the quality, I want to win something I like for less than $30, if I can.
    So all you Ren fair goers, do you have any advice for me? I want to use it for formal-ish wear and for Halloween. I am working towards, mellowed Goth vampire, witch type thing for Halloween. Hence my recent boot purchase. (I am still trying to get the hang of walking up stairs with 5.75 inch soles on my feet! πŸ™„ )
    Please? I’d appreciate any advice at all on the subject if you have it. πŸ™‚ Heck I am excited about the chemises because I can wear those anytime! πŸ˜†

Pegasi1978
    Participant

I have to say that corset looks awesome. Good luck on the auction.

I do know a few things (from buying a couple of corsets myself, just cuz I like them….).

Metal vs Plastic boning. I’ve had both, metal definitely holds it’s shape better.

Breathing. If you have a well made corset, it should allow you to breathe, regardless of whether it “tucks in” or not. I’ve actually tried on different ones, the difference is amazing between well made and cheap.

Corsets are actually made to give the illusion of an hourglass waistline, so I’m not sure there is much in the way of “for show” for your particular bodytype. However, you could go with a minimum reduction, like 2″ (they usually recommend 6″). I’ve found that to be very comfortable for myself, even on a ready-made corset.

And there’s lots of tutorials on-line for how to lace your corset (by yourself or having someone else do it). I totally recommend this!!!! Just google it, you’ll find LOTS of info (well yours is front lace so it should be pretty easy).

I would recommend asking the seller if it’s metal vs plastic boning. And what size it is (should be slightly smaller then your size, or it’ll just kind of hang there and not do anything, and not look good).

Dragon87 wrote:

I do know a few things (from buying a couple of corsets myself, just cuz I like them….).
      Awesome!

Metal vs Plastic boning. I’ve had both, metal definitely holds it’s shape better.
      Ok…I will remember that. I think Von uses plastic. I was reading on metal and plastic like you say, and some prefer plastic, some prefer metal…I just wanted to try one. Maybe I won’t be able to stand it. I don’t know.

Breathing. If you have a well made corset, it should allow you to breathe, regardless of whether it “tucks in” or not. I’ve actually tried on different ones, the difference is amazing between well made and cheap.
      That is very good to know too.

Corsets are actually made to give the illusion of an hourglass waistline, so I’m not sure there is much in the way of “for show” for your particular bodytype. However, you could go with a minimum reduction, like 2″ (they usually recommend 6″). I’ve found that to be very comfortable for myself, even on a ready-made corset.
      This is most helpful! I was going for 4″ reduction. Right in the middle of both! LOL I just don’t wnat it so tight it actually hurts my midsection is what I am trying to achieve. I’d like a little hourglass, but not an amazing quantity of waist!

And there’s lots of tutorials on-line for how to lace your corset (by yourself or having someone else do it). I totally recommend this!!!! Just google it, you’ll find LOTS of info (well yours is front lace so it should be pretty easy).
      Ok! Will do.

I would recommend asking the seller if it’s metal vs plastic boning. And what size it is (should be slightly smaller then your size, or it’ll just kind of hang there and not do anything, and not look good).
      His size chart says I am closer to 16 than 14, and the one I am bidding on (sz14), seems to have a less sever hourglass shape than most of his others, so I was hoping to use it as a “see how it feels” type of thing. (Hence the wanting it for around $20-30.) The one I really want is a lovely red and gold brocade material, with double split tails, but you have to order your own size. It is $79 for that one. And before I go spending $79 I’d like to know I can wear the darned things! πŸ˜‰
      Thanks a ton Dragon! I was hoping there had to be atleast one or two of you out there who liked them or owned them at one point! I really appreciate all the info! My auction ends tonight! I’m so excited! πŸ˜€

Jasmine
      Participant

I actually have a couple of his corsets. They are more for show than posture…the boning is good and he uses really nice fabric too. If you’re looking for a serious-take my waist in a few inches-corset, Vollers in the UK are the way to go, but they aren’t cheap:

http://www.vollers-corsets.com/

Laurie
        Participant

Jasmine wrote:

I actually have a couple of his corsets. They are more for show than posture…the boning is good and he uses really nice fabric too. If you’re looking for a serious-take my waist in a few inches-corset, Vollers in the UK are the way to go, but they aren’t cheap:

Wow, Vollers has some beautiful things. My body cringed on it’s own tho. XD XD πŸ˜‰ All the ones I liked were really expensive. What do they say? Champagne taste and a beer pocketbook? πŸ˜• πŸ˜‰

HeHe… Sagia, which ones do you like? XD πŸ˜‰ XD

Jasmine wrote:

Also very good to know! I really am looking for more show than anything. Thanks Jasmine! πŸ˜€

Crimson Vision
          Participant

I will second Vollers; I have several of their corsets & they are my favorite. Yes, they are expensive but I still have the corset I bought in 1995 and have worn more times than I can count. It still looks great.

Another corset maker that is very good quality for the price is Timeless Trends: http://www.timeless-trends.com/ I have several of their underbusts and they are great.

Seconding the steel boning; plastic is really useless in corsets & really should only be used in bustiers. Once the plastic warms it bends even easier than it did in the first place.

Crimson Vision wrote:

I will second Vollers; I have several of their corsets & they are my favorite. Yes, they are expensive but I still have the corset I bought in 1995 and have worn more times than I can count. It still looks great.

Another corset maker that is very good quality for the price is Timeless Trends: http://www.timeless-trends.com/ I have several of their underbusts and they are great.

Seconding the steel boning; plastic is really useless in corsets & really should only be used in bustiers. Once the plastic warms it bends even easier than it did in the first place.
            I was kinda hoping you would chime in! πŸ™‚ I see your beautiful costumes and just drool. 😳 I haven’t even looked to see where I could possibly wear these corsets, etc.
            I did however have a last minute bid I put in on corset/bustier/coat and won! I was so excited I grabbed Scott’s arm and shook him and he died playing his video game. πŸ˜† I got it for $22.09 including shipping!!! πŸ˜€
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150445525720&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
            The tiger one is going alot higher than the others… πŸ™

Crimson Vision wrote:

I will have to look at these myself…… πŸ˜€

Laurie wrote:

What do they say? Champagne taste and a beer pocketbook?

That’s so me! πŸ˜†

WindstoneCollector wrote:

I did however have a last minute bid I put in on corset/bustier/coat and won! I was so excited I grabbed Scott’s arm and shook him and he died playing his video game. I got it for $22.09 including shipping!!!

I’m so happy for you! Your costume idea sounds so neat, I wonder if you’ll post about it and show us how it turns out. Oh, and just for fun, I was searching for images of cakes and cookies for my “Cakes!” thread under food and I came across some pictures of corset-shaped cookies. Now there’s something you don’t see everyday…

Those are some sexy cookies!!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ˜†

Hee hee! Thanks Zephyr!
            I will most likely post about it once I compile the whole thing. I have a while, and a few more things I want to add to it before I post about it. There’s some pretty cool necklaces out there I been looking at! 😳

WSC, I have a cloak from from VonLancelot–he does absolutely beautiful work! I don’t have any corsets by him, but I do have one from DivaDivine777’s store on ebay, http://stores.ebay.com/DivaDivine777?_rdc=1
            She’s in Australia, and is very reasonable price-wise. Check her store out; you may be able to find something already made in your size.
            And I have one from JupiterMoon Corsets; I won the auction for a custom made corset, and got to pick my colors, style and fabrics. She did beautiful work, too. I thought I had her site saved, but I couldn’t find it. Do a search on ebay for steel-boned corsets. It’ll turn up both metal and plastic boned corsets. There’s also Meschantes: http://stores.ebay.com/Meschantes-Corsetry?_rdc=1

I have several steel boned corsets. I was wearing some of them with my “office clothes”, like under my suit jackets but over my blouse. You can lace them up as tight or loose as you like. I also wear one of mine when I sing with our band, and I wear it laced preeeeeetty tight and can still sing. πŸ˜€ When they’re fit right, even tightly laced they can be pretty comfortable. They give a lot of support for the back, too, which is why I was wearing them with my office clothing–I was teaching a class that required my being on my feet all day, and my back was killing me.
            If you decide on a steel-boned corset, make sure you get one with the steel busk in the front–it’s a LOT easier to put on than having to unlace and then have to lace it up without help. With the steel busk, you can just loosen the laces and unhook the busk to take it off, and when you put it back on, you only have to tighten the laces after closing the busk, rather than having to unlace it and then lace it all back up. πŸ™„ πŸ˜€
            I love my corsets! I did go for the 6″ reduction, though. I don’t exactly have a waist, and I do have definite hips and bust. πŸ˜‰ I just feel more comfortable with my looks onstage with the corset than without it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.