fbpx

Read any good books lately?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Read any good books lately?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    WolfenMachine
    Participant

I did a topic search for books, I just KNOW we must have started a thread about this before, but I just couldn’t find it anywhere.

So lately, I’ve taken up a childhood hobby of devouring books again πŸ™‚ They are holding a hardback copy of The Last Unicorn for me at Barnes and Nobles that Im going to pick up this evening. I like to have at least 2 books Im working on, in case I dont feel like reading that 1 one day.

I’ve recently finished Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, as well as The October Country and Farewell Summer. About to finish The Host by Stephenie Meyer and trying NOT to finish Breaking Dawn of the Twilight series also.

What is everyone reading? πŸ™‚

WolfenMachine
      Participant

NirvanaCat13
        Participant

The Celtic/Druid fantasy series of Katherine Kerr is pretty entertaining. I think 9 books in the original series with a newer 3 book continuation. Good writing and interesting plot/subject matter. C.S. Friedman’s “Dark Sun Rising” trilogy is a must read as well. Have fun on your binge!!

dragonmedley
          Participant

I’m reading Daniel Pennac. My mom dumped all she had by him on me and now I’m hooked. It is in French and I have no idea if it ever was translated. It kinda far out and totally hilarious, mysteries all the way.

My mom also recently introduced me to Minette Walkers and Reginald Hill. Before immersing myself in literary French slang, I finished reading Arms and the women. Way awesome.

I don’t know if anyone here had seen the movie Immortal (ad vitam), but it is based on the director’s comic book trilogy, so I went back to read them (Trilogie Nikopol, by Enki Bilal). BTW, the movie is great, though some of the animation leaves to be desired.

So basically, I’m reading stuff outside my usual fantasy/sci-fi niche.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Rachel
            Participant

The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. They are excellent!

Pegasi1978
              Participant

The thread you want is probably in the General Writing Discussion section of the forum.

I just finished reading a set of short stories called “Blood Lite”. It was edited by Kevin J. Anderson and features stories by Charlanin Harris, Jim Butcher, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Kelly Armstrong (to name a few). I think my favorite story was the Jim Butcher one about what happend to Harry Dresden on his day off. πŸ˜†

Before that the last book I read was “Swallowing Darkness” by Laurell K. Hamilton. More goodness in the world of faerie princess Merideth Gentry.

Let’s see most recently has been C.L. Wilson’s Tairen Soul series. The fourth and final book was due out this month but has been postponed until june of 2009. πŸ˜₯

My favorite series by far is Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter series. πŸ˜€ I have a whole shelf reserved for it as each new book comes out.

Andrea
                Participant

I’m reading the Dark Tower series again right now. Then I’ll probably go back and read the Clan of the Cave bear series again.
                  After that, I’ll read the Firekeeper series again.
                  I love rereading books after I haven’t read them in a long time.
                  I’d recommend the Firekeeper series to you all. It’s about a girl who was raised by intelligent wolves that are much larger than the normal wolves. Basically, there’s a race of bigger smarter animals.
                  It’s a cool series!

Jasmine
                  Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

I just finished reading a set of short stories called “Blood Lite”. It was edited by Kevin J. Anderson and features stories by Charlanin Harris, Jim Butcher, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Kelly Armstrong (to name a few). I think my favorite story was the Jim Butcher one about what happend to Harry Dresden on his day off. πŸ˜†

Before that the last book I read was “Swallowing Darkness” by Laurell K. Hamilton. More goodness in the world of faerie princess Merideth Gentry.

Hey, I just finished that too!! Some hilarious stories in there. And I’m looking to pick up Swallowing Darkness this weekend.

Leigha
                    Participant

I picked up Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke at Barnes and Nobles yesterday πŸ˜€

I had finished Reserved for the Cat by Mercedes Lackey a couple days before

I need to head down to the library after this one and see if they’ve gotten anything new/interesting since I’ve been there last

kitsunelady
                      Participant

Oooh, you guys read LKH too. I finished Swallowing Darkness like the day after it came out. XD I’ve gotten to the point that I like Merry better than Anita. D: Which is sad, b/c I started Anita’s series first…since it was set in STL and I thought it was fun reading about places I know. But they never DO anything anymore…except…well, ~THAT~. o.o

As for books I read recently that are good enough to re-read at some point…I think the last one like that was Chalice, by Robin McKinley. I love her books. I wish she’d do some signings so I could get my copy of Beauty signed. 9.9…

Ooh, I read the Firekeeper story too. >.>v @ Phoenix My favorite characters were the birds, Elation and Bee Biter. XD So funny.

Jodi
                        Participant

I’m finishing up “Gulliver’s Travels” for a paper I’m writing to present at a conference this weekend. I’m almost done, so no worries.

I just picked up “The Audacity of Hope” by Barack Obama, and “Life After Death” by Deepak Chopra, so I will start one of those soon.

I need to finish “Tigerheart” by Peter David first though. I started it before I realized I should be starting “Gulliver” and had to put it aside to get my paper done. I’m chomping at the bit to finish it though.

Then I have the rest of the Harry Dresden series to finish, and I’m thinking about reading the Harry Potter series.

I’ve read the entire Harry Dresden, love Jim’s humor.

LKH everything..no spoilers for Swallowing Darkness, my copy isn’t here yet.

Kyrin

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

I’m just finishing up ‘The Navigator’ by Clive Kessler, then will start one a friend lent me… I think it’s ‘Twilight’? The book fair was at the middle school today and since I worked it this afternoon, I got some ‘free’ books, YAY! Sean picked up “Firestar’s Quest” from the Erin Hunter Warriors series and ‘Rangers Apprentice – The Burning Bridge’ part of a new series that looks pretty good. Ethan chose “Seekers, The Quest Begins” by Erin Hunter and “Bone, Rock Jaw Master of the Eastern Border” by Jeff Smith, and I got “The Pinhoe Egg” – Diana Wynne Jones, “The Fire Eternal” – Chris D’Lacey and the first book in the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, “Eight Grade Bites” by Heather Brewer. So I’m set for a bit…

Hey Kirin – What do you need from the Warrior series or by Erin Hunter? The book fair runs through tomorrow and the prices are pretty good – the Pendragon series are $2 bucks apiece 😯 Let me know and I’ll go look for you, if you’d like πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

nessiemom
                            Participant

All the Presidents’ Children by Doug Wead… (nonfiction) almost done…

The Nightside series by Simon R. Greene (off and on)

The ‘Mancer series by Don Callander (whenever I need a quick, good, light read)

The Mithgar books by Dennis McKiernan (off and on)

I usually have several series going at once. One of these days I’m going to get thru the Dresden books, and re-read my Honor Harrington books….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.