fbpx

Question About Values-chips, ect

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Question About Values-chips, ect

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I’ve been eyeing eBay for a few days, and looking for my first painted piece. I’ve noticed some with chips and whatnots, which don’t really bother me that much, but I’m wondering, how much does it decrease thier value? The one’s I’m looking at the most(seems like theyare faily common too) is the mama peacock, and the green mama. I want a scratching one too, but alas, they seem to be worth more than I have now. I really shoulnd’t be looking, I’m broke, but you know… πŸ™„

SPark
    Participant

Chips decrease the value a little, but not too much. Are you familiar with Astral Castle? They have a list of almost every Windstone ever, and they have the original sale prices. Most retired pieces sell for a little over that price, a few sell for a LOT over that price, but mother dragons are VERY common, they’re probably the most common Windstone ever, so they tend to be fairly cheap. I’ve bought one for $10, though that was a real steal! It was chipped and needed quite a bit of TLC too, and it was mis-listed, a search for “Windstone” didn’t turn it up, I found it while looking through other dragons. But anyhow, if you keep watching, you should be able to pick up a mother for somewhat less than list price, and if you’re willing to regularly search through the bazillion ugly dragons on ebay you may find one even cheaper, though enough of us do that that even those do get some bids.

(Ooops, I should include the astral castle link, shoudln’t I? http://www.astralcastle.com/windstone/wsframe.htm )

SPark wrote:

Chips decrease the value a little, but not too much. Are you familiar with Astral Castle? They have a list of almost every Windstone ever, and they have the original sale prices. Most retired pieces sell for a little over that price, a few sell for a LOT over that price, but mother dragons are VERY common, they’re probably the most common Windstone ever, so they tend to be fairly cheap. I’ve bought one for $10, though that was a real steal! It was chipped and needed quite a bit of TLC too, and it was mis-listed, a search for “Windstone” didn’t turn it up, I found it while looking through other dragons. But anyhow, if you keep watching, you should be able to pick up a mother for somewhat less than list price, and if you’re willing to regularly search through the bazillion ugly dragons on ebay you may find one even cheaper, though enough of us do that that even those do get some bids.

(Ooops, I should include the astral castle link, shoudln’t I? http://www.astralcastle.com/windstone/wsframe.htm )

Thanks!
      How much is “faily cheap”? There’s one for $60 plus shipping, with a couple chips. I think she’s peacock.

i do have that website bookmarked, thank you. It’s taking me a while to get through all the pix and really try to get them all straight in my head haha.

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

I think chips bring the prices down dramatically depending on how much damage there is. Retired pieces inparticular. Usually you can get a mint brown griffin for between 200 and 250 bucks, but a damaged one usually won’t go past 100 – 150. Then when you have something thats not retired it doesn’t seem to bring the value up or donw all that much. It really all depends on the demand of the piece I suppose.

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

It really depends on what people are willing to spend. I won’t spend more than it was worth before it retired if it’s chipped. On some items I won’t even spend half of what it’s worth. It really depends on the item and how bad the chip is. I don’t mind flea bites, or very minor chips. Anything worse then I won’t spend the time to repair so I don’t bother to even bid.

dragonmedley
        Participant

To give you an example, I wanted the baby kirin. Everytime I tried for one, he went over $100. At one point, someone posted on ebay a damaged baby kirin with the mother kirin in great condition. I got both for 71$, including shipping, because the baby was damaged (actually, he needed plaster surgery). The mother was really in mint condition, just dirty. I’d never be able to get her at that price on her own. Only the fact that the baby was in such bad condition allowed me to get them. So you never know!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

dragonmedley wrote:

To give you an example, I wanted the baby kirin. Everytime I tried for one, he went over $100. At one point, someone posted on ebay a damaged baby kirin with the mother kirin in great condition. I got both for 71$, including shipping, because the baby was damaged (actually, he needed plaster surgery). The mother was really in mint condition, just dirty. I’d never be able to get her at that price on her own. Only the fact that the baby was in such bad condition allowed me to get them. So you never know!

So jealious! Those are two on my list. There’sa BIN baby for $99, but I don’t have that much money right now. Maybe I’ll luck into something like that. πŸ˜€

Skigod377
          Participant

You can usually get a mint baby ki rin for around $50. Thats the average. As for the chips and stuff, it really depends on if it can be touched up with a little paint or if it will need some Whippet-style repairs. Also, location is important. Is the damage on the face or the back of the piece? There are lots of factors and some collectors that can do repairs dont care if its chipped or not. Others wont touch chipped ones.

skigod377 wrote:

You can usually get a mint baby ki rin for around $50. Thats the average. As for the chips and stuff, it really depends on if it can be touched up with a little paint or if it will need some Whippet-style repairs. Also, location is important. Is the damage on the face or the back of the piece? There are lots of factors and some collectors that can do repairs dont care if its chipped or not. Others wont touch chipped ones.

Thanks!
            I’m probably not going to become a hard core “mint” collector, and I paint model horses for a living, so I don’t mind touching them up at all! I’d like to add several peices to my collection, and if I can get them cheaper chipped, that’s cool, I just don’t want to overpay for damaged ones. I see a lot of dragons on eBay with chips. One went for $25 last night, a big one, he was missing somethign in the back of his head. I was taking care of baby, so I didn’t get to bid. Oh well, next time!

Skigod377
            Participant

Its nice when you can get them cheap and fix them up. I have touched up a couple and its kind of fun!! πŸ˜€ Good luck expanding your collection!

skigod377 wrote:

Its nice when you can get them cheap and fix them up. I have touched up a couple and its kind of fun!! πŸ˜€ Good luck expanding your collection!

Right now I’m just trying to get a collection haha. The only one I own in a PYO, and he’s not even here yet lol. Seems like all the ones I really want are the $$$$$$$$$ ones. LOVE those coiled dragons. But, I’m watching a few now that aren’t too bad. I’ll get one eventually, then EVERYONE will know about it. lol

Gosh. What did I have for breakfast. I feel giddy 😯 😯

Maria
              Participant

Forum addiction setting in, bluepony? πŸ˜€

sure dont take long

Starbreeze
                Participant

Isn’t that the truth. πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.