fbpx

Question about the Keeper's wing …

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Question about the Keeper's wing …

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Illith
    Participant

Oh dear, did you have issues with any of the places you ordered from?

Nah, I’ve never had a problem, but I’d rather support someone who does it on their own than some big company.

Hannah
      Participant

Oh dear, did you have issues with any of the places you ordered from?

Nah, I’ve never had a problem, but I’d rather support someone who does it on their own than some big company.

Well, if you consider Windstone (for example) to not be a big company, I would still recommend Tohickon glass if you ever want glass eyes specifically. They’re definitely not a big company!! I’m not in any way trying to detract from DTS’s eyes, they’re gorgeous! I just know that some people (like myself) prefer glass eyes in general, and they’ve always been amazing.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
        Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Hannah, My Metallics are really awesome! I can send you a free pair with your order if you want to trial them. I’ll bet I charge way less than Tohickon. And I can customize any pair you could need. Have you seen my slideshow yet?…If not, here it is below. They are all titled with the colors and types along with the images. The Full Metallics are at the end of the slideshow.

Hannah
        Participant

Yup, I have seen your metallics and they are beautiful! Tohickon charges 2.75 for their 11mm metallic eyes. I know you can get more color schemes (and schemes in general – look at those lightning bolts!) to fit in the resin castings (I think it’s resin? I totally forget the technical name for the material that you use, please correct me!), and for certain projects it’s gotta be DTS eyes, no doubt!! I just personally love the look and “feel” of the glass eyes 🙂 Also, metallic eyes in glass have a distinctly different look than your metallics – yours are smoother, like the color is backed with a mirror, and metallic eyes in glass end up a little sparkly, a bit like your semi-metallics. If you’ve ordered any metallic glass eyes from Windstone (teal, periwinkle, and medium blue are the ones they have right now for PYOs) you can see what I mean – it’s hard to describe!

Lupuslunae
          Participant

omg dreaming tree, those are amazing! I think Windstone should hire you as a contractor to make awesome eyes like that for production pieces. I love those forest ones!

Actually, Yes…When I ordered my PYO Phoenix, it came with that type. It was tricky to see the reflection even in strong light. It is similar to some of the less sparkly colors of my SM’s. When I use those less sparkly colors, I usually layer it with a darker base color so they show more.

I saw some good detailed images of their metallics, and it is very much like a satin finished silver backing. I have some materials in my studio that gives that same look, but I decided to go with the highly reflective, mirror like one more. I guess because they looked too similar to my general SM’s. It is hard to keep track of my current price point as it is, and I would have to come up with some sort of in-between price somehow.

I have other Metallic, and reflective materials too, that I have trialled in the past, like “Flecked”, “Kaleidoscope”, and “Prism.” I think I even have some Glitter, and brushed steel looking materials as well… But So far the only one I still somewhat use is the Prism, and only with a clear layer. I could do them in colors but then, it just doesn’t really reflect all the spectrum colors.

I chose to use my Aura, and Dihcroic materials instead because they are so unique! I really need to get more of them cast up and distributed, because they are so AWESOME to view “In-Hand” They are the very worst to try an photograph! :/

In fact, Any member here on Windstone, can receive a free trial pair in either 6mm, 8mm, or 11mm if you email me at amanda@dreamingtreestudio.com with your mailing address, mm size and either type *Dcro* or *Aura* after the mm size. Also you can choose them in either Slit or Round Pupil. Colors I will randomly choose——–They all contain all sorts of color flash depending on how they are turned in the light.

I can easily cast up some in my next run which is going to happen this weekend.

Illith
            Participant

Posted a question on the first page. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Hannah
              Participant

I’ve always thought of that part as the “edge” of the right wing (if you’re looking at it from the back), right at the tip, and treated it as such. I doubt it’s a flaw, it’s probably thicker on purpose because that area is the thinnest and most fragile of the entire sculpt – any thinner and it would be unstable since it’s where the wing attaches back to the body! I usually just end up extending the color of the right wing down into it.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.