fbpx

Quest 7

Home Forums The Tanglian Wilderness Quests Quest 7

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    Misty
    Participant

I wish I could fight fire with fire lol. Kinda hard when you don’t do facebook or any of the other social network type sites though. Maybe next time I will just see if I can help the l’eagles somehow >.<
      I think these quests are a great thing, and really want them to keep going. But my head is going to explode if I have to compete in popularity contests =)

pegasus4240
      Participant

Perhaps have a contest or two where y’all at Windstone are responsible for the judging alone. Still post all the entries on the board so people can see though.

I really do appreciate all the effort that is put into the Quests and that we have the opportunities to win cool stuff. Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

-- Angie

Lokie
        Participant

Wow, this discussion is like a mind explosion for me. LOL I did not enter this particular quest, but I have entered previous ones where the winner was chosen by votes and it never occurred to me that I may be competing with members who were making pleas for votes on social networking sites. Probably pretty naรฏve of me! =P I guess with this new knowledge, I can make an informed decision whether to enter the โ€œvotingโ€ type quests in the future. Because, I too, do not like the popularity contest element of it. Iโ€™d rather what I entered spoke for itself.

Anyways, this was a great quest and I had real difficulty deciding on just one entry in each category to vote for!

dragonmedley
          Participant

Wow, this discussion is like a mind explosion for me. LOL I did not enter this particular quest, but I have entered previous ones where the winner was chosen by votes and it never occurred to me that I may be competing with members who were making pleas for votes on social networking sites. Probably pretty naรฏve of me! =P I guess with this new knowledge, I can make an informed decision whether to enter the โ€œvotingโ€ type quests in the future. Because, I too, do not like the popularity contest element of it. Iโ€™d rather what I entered spoke for itself.

Same here!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Kiya
            Participant

Perhaps have a contest or two where y’all at Windstone are responsible for the judging alone. Still post all the entries on the board so people can see though.

We’ve also had people bring up concerns about the judging portion of quests, so I’m trying to think through alternatives.

BUT, one thing we do try to do is keep a variety of quests. We may try judging only on the next one and see what the feedback is. Then I’m going to stick to random draws for the next several I think. ๐Ÿ™‚

Prezaurian
              Participant

Anyways, this was a great quest and I had real difficulty deciding on just one entry in each category to vote for!

Oh wow. I had no idea this voting had turned into a begging for votes spree. I’m not particularly familiar with anyone else on this forum/community so I’ve remained oblivious to what’s happened. So I guess I’m pretty naรฏve too. Though I’m suddenly glad my entry didn’t make it into the finalists because of this. I’m going to take my design and enjoy painting a PYO dragon with it on my own.

I really did enjoy this quest though. It was fun to think of a design and see some of the other entries.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

It seems that one needs to be a registered forum member to vote. I hope that the forum members have the integrity to vote for the one they like best, and not just because it belongs to a friend. After all, it is in their best interest– there is a chance (EMPHASIS ON CHANCE) that the winner will get painted on a real Windstone.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Kiya
                  Participant

Well, one thing we could potentially do (not for this quest, but future ones), would be to take votes through email only, only from registered forum members, and only from members who have been registered for at least a month and have posted at least once a minimum of 30 days prior to the voting period.

This would be a much more manual process so you’d have to wait until I had time to count all the votes to announce the winner, but it would probably remove the social media voting aspect (you’d have to plan pretty far ahead to get your friends on the site and posting!)

You MIGHT still see a few come in that way, but really, registering for a forum, posting to the forum, and then coming back a month later to email a vote is a lot of hoops to jump through!

Thoughts?

dragonmedley
                    Participant

Well, one thing we could potentially do (not for this quest, but future ones), would be to take votes through email only, only from registered forum members, and only from members who have been registered for at least a month and have posted at least once a minimum of 30 days prior to the voting period.

This would be a much more manual process so you’d have to wait until I had time to count all the votes to announce the winner, but it would probably remove the social media voting aspect (you’d have to plan pretty far ahead to get your friends on the site and posting!)

You MIGHT still see a few come in that way, but really, registering for a forum, posting to the forum, and then coming back a month later to email a vote is a lot of hoops to jump through!

Thoughts?

I like it! More work for you, but more chance for people to be judged on what they submit rather than how Internet savvy they are.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Misty
                      Participant

Sounds like it would cut quite a bit of that out to me lol. Though it makes a ton more work for you. But other than having a judging panel or making the poor overworked windstone crew judge, it seems like one of the better ideas.

Rachel
                        Participant

I, personally, would prefer that Windstone judge quests like this one where there were specific weighted aspects. If it’s just a beauty pageant, then I’m ok with people just voting on what they like. If it turns into a popularity contest, that’s too bad, but whatever. I’m glad mine didn’t make it to the finalists, because I can then feel like I didn’t win because there were better options rather than feeling like being back in high school.

As for people being motivated to being honest about their opinions rather than it being a popularity contest because the winner might just be painted, I think that’s not a good motivator. Realistically, the people who entered were fine with their scheme being used as inspiration, so you have the implied consent to use all of them, even the people who didn’t win or even make the final cut. And winning doesn’t guarantee the use of the design. Realistically, at least a few of the designs really aren’t all that easy to duplicate by an in-house painter due to being very intricate, even if they are beautiful.

I guess, thinking about it harder, it might be best to leave judging to Windstone or do random draws.

Kiya
                          Participant

So far, it sounds like email voting might be the way to go. I think I will try it the next time we need voting and see how it goes. On the random draws, I usually get between 50-100 emails that I need to sort and record to do the drawing, so I don’t think it will be any harder than that. You won’t get to SEE how your entry is doing, but maybe that’s better anyway.

We WOULD have to remove the ability to cancel your vote (Sorry guys, I’m not going to try to sort through the emails and see who changed their mind! I’d mess it up!)

Trava
                            Participant

“Oh wow. I had no idea this voting had turned into a begging for votes spree. I’m not particularly familiar with anyone else on this forum/community so I’ve remained oblivious to what’s happened. So I guess I’m pretty naรฏve too. Though I’m suddenly glad my entry didn’t make it into the finalists because of this. I’m going to take my design and enjoy painting a PYO dragon with it on my own.

I really did enjoy this quest though. It was fun to think of a design and see some of the other entries.”

THIS! Totally this.

But the email thing seems like a ton of work. ๐Ÿ™

Perhaps you could randomly choose a panel of judges or something from interested forum members? Would that be easier? Or harder?

Kiya
                              Participant

But the email thing seems like a ton of work. ๐Ÿ™

Perhaps you could randomly choose a panel of judges or something from interested forum members? Would that be easier? Or harder?

Honestly, the email thing isn’t that much work. LOL I’ll try it, see how it goes, and we’ll go from there.

I have debated pulling some judges from the forum members if they are not people who plan to participate in the quest. The two challenges I see here:

1.) I wouldn’t want hurt anyone’s feelings because they volunteered and were not chosen to judge. (Though maybe we could elect the judges? I don’t know – it’s also not great to have people KNOW who is judging so they aren’t upset with someone if they aren’t picked!)

2.) We’d need to think of something nice to do for the judges, but what? ๐Ÿ™‚ It’d have to be something small, but they should be rewarded SOMEHOW for not participating and judging instead. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hannah
                                Participant

I like the idea of emailing votes – but I am concerned that it would be a lot of work for you Kiya :/ If it’s something that you’d be willing to do though, it does seem like it would cut out a lot of the votes created by social networking sites, and give a more fair, forum-based consensus of a winner.

I also really like the idea of not being able to see how many votes I have!! I stress myself out far too much over quests, and the voting only adds to it (I know I do it to myself, but when the option is there I cant help it!! XD)

And everyone please don’t get me wrong on my last comment (not that I think anyone did, I just tend to worry a lot about how people read my text) – I don’t WANT to “join ’em”, but I’ve also felt like I’ve been pushed into a corner with no other options either. I would MUCH prefer the voting to be completely fair – and obviously since it’s impossible to guarantee that 100%, mostly fair is a great alternative ๐Ÿ™‚

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                                  Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 176 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.