fbpx

Purpledoggy's Leather Dog Collars

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Purpledoggy's Leather Dog Collars

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laurie
    Participant

Laurie
      Participant

Since I love to have a million different collars for my dog Sid (she needs to look stylish you know) I’ve taken to making my own collars. I’m pretty new to leatherworking and I’ve only made two collars atm but I figured I would share my creations with you. Right now I’m using rivets to hold the hardware in place but I want to learn how to hand sew leather since if you don’t hit the rivet just right it will bend and you have to pull it out and start all over again. I also need to work on finishing the edges of the leather since I don’t like the frayed look I end up getting. I’m going to get some beeswax this afternoon and try to clean up the edges a bit. Here are the two collars I’ve made so far…..

This is the first collar I made which no longer fits Sid since she was much younger when I made it. Its made from 1 1/2 inch leather with a 1 inch strip down the middle. I put three celtic heart conchos on it and its tapered down to once inch since the buckle I had was only for a one inch strip of leather. Of course I can’t find a pic of her wearing this collar even though I know I have one

This collar I just made last night out of 1 1/2 inch leather. It has 10 one inch spikes and a broken heart with wings on it. My husband wanted her to have a spiked collar so I made her one. She will only wear this when out on walks, I’m not fond of spiked collars being on dogs for long periods of time since I’m afraid someone could get hurt by them lol.

I hope to finish another collar tonight out of the recycled heart conchos from her puppy collar. I also want to try a hair on cow hide collar I drew up last night but I have to talk hubby into taking me back to the tandy leather store so I can buy the scraps I need. Thanks for looking at my collars, I’ll add more when I make them for everyone to see 😀

Aww what a pretty little pibble!! Gage has 2 Pacos, I would love to make him, and Bristol, one, but we cant get anything here to make them so I just buy them, LOL. I am thinking of ordering a collar and leash from Paco for Bristol, and i am trying to sell one of Gages Pacos a well, LOL. I can not imagine the work that must go into making leather collars, thanks for sharing!!

Laurie
        Participant

You can buy all of the supplies and tools at Tandy Leather. We only have one store in the entire state of Maryland and lucky for me its right by my work. Once you have all the tools its pretty easy to make them. If you don’t want to buy a whole side of leather you can buy precut straps which make it easier too.

Rusti
          Participant

Those look pretty sweet!

I’ve been making collars with my mother’s embroidery machine and nylon webbing and my own drawing skills and want to do some craft shows with them.

I’d considered learning some leather working down the road to make leather collars as well. If you don’t mind my asking how much did it cost you to get started? Did you have reading material to go on?

Laurie
            Participant

Tandy leather sells a kit that has most of the tools you need to get started http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Tools/4899-00.aspx?feature=Product_10.
              If I was smart I would have just bought this but I’ve been buying bits and pieces here and there. You can pick up leather strips for $20 bucks and conchos cost anywhere between $2-$5 a piece. It starts to add up when you have a lot of stuff added to the collar.

I cant even buy fabric in this town, let alone leather tools, LOL.

Rusti
              Participant

Awesome. I’ll have to bookmark that for later use. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.