fbpx

Pumpkin Bread

Home Forums Miscellany Food Pumpkin Bread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pipsxlch
    Participant

I posted this years ago, but there are a lot of new people now. Since I couldn’t shop this year, I’ve made tons of it, it always goes over well and is demanded next year. It is very heavy and dense, more a loaf cake than a bread. Sorry this is late!

Dec 22 at 2:51 PM

PUMPKIN BREAD

4 cups flour
      3 cups sugar
      ยฝ cup light brown sugar
      2 teaspoons baking soda
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1 1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon cinnamon
      1 teaspoon allspice
      1/2 teaspoon ginger
      1/2 teaspoon cloves
      1 can pumpkin puree
      1 cup cooking oil
      1 cup applesauce
      1/2 cup honey
      1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
      4 large eggs
      2/3 cup COLD water
      2-3 tablespoons milk
      1 cup raisins and/or nuts (optional)

Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl, blend well, and make a pit in the middle of the mixture. Pour in the cooking oil, water, applesauce, honey, can of pumpkin, vanilla and milk, blending well after each addition. Now add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each. Pour batter into 3 greased large loaf pans (or 7 small ones). Fill each pan roughly half way. Bake at 350* for approximately 1 hour large pans (30 minutes small), or until a broomstick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
      NOTE: after about 10-15 minutes baking time, cover pans with tented sheets of tinfoil to help prevent overbrowning of the surface.

etruscan
      Participant

Looks good! Did you mean a broomstraw for testing whether the loaves are done?

Ela_Hara
        Participant

Let’s see… Pumpkin Bread… Fall… Pumpkins… Halloween… Broomstick…
          Is this something Witches eat? *HeeHee* Sorry, I couldn’t resist! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sounds Great!
          Thanks for the recipe – gotta try it! ๐Ÿ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

rock-reader
          Participant

This looks delicious…I’ll have to try it. One question: what size can of pumpkin puree? How many ounces?

Thanks for the recipe ๐Ÿ™‚

pipsxlch
            Participant

Erm, yeah, sorry, bad spelling here…
              It is a broomstraw not stick lol, though I often use a twig from the golden rain tree outside- long, straight, and to a point. I’ve used hay straws also.
              It’s the regular sized cans of puree; about a pound? Like a can of soup. I do use the huge cans when I’m making a double batch at once, it works out just right.
              Sometimes I need to mix up the loaf sizes; it’s one large loaf pan with 5 small ones, I’ve never done it with 2 large but it would probably be 2 and 2.

This looks really good! I’ll have to make this for Christmas gifts or such this year ๐Ÿ™‚

Prezaurian
              Participant

Mmm…looks good. Thanks for the repost!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.